Sunday, November 28, 2010

Feelings?

Since Gary raised the question...


Well, Gary... it's a bike. A means of transportation. A thing. I mount it, I ride it, and I get somewhere eventually. Nothing more than that... ;-)

Upon arrival at the dealer I was all sweaty hands and accelerated heartbeat nervous. I hadn't been on two wheels for seven weeks, and I didn't know how my knee would take the riding. I spent some time chatting with Rusty, the service manager to overcome the I-am-not-yet-ready state. Rusty rode the bike out of the shop into the dealer parking lot, and when I heard the familiar throbbing noise of my little thumper, and saw how squeaky clean and brand new she looked, all sinful thoughts about getting another two-wheeler were blown away in an instant.

My confidence increased with the familiar feel of the ideal (for me) seating position and height. I adjusted the mirrors, and went off on the highway without further ado. Cold wind whipped me in the face, and I had to adjust my scarf to cover mouth and nose. My leg didn't complain with the foot sitting on a brand new peg. The ride home was smooth, and the knowledge of replaced chain, fluids and break pads made me feel utterly safe. I took a little detour to get out of traffic. The bike did well, and it was as if we were never separated. And when I finally parked Nella in the garage, it was almost like I brought back home a brand new bike. I am in love all over again.

11 comments:

  1. There's nothing like actually getting on the bike and riding it to dispel all those preride nerves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am delighted all went well with your reunion and I am even more delighted to find no reference to Morris Albert.

    I'm so looking forward to new Sonja and Nella adventures.

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old confidence will return shortly Sonja...I was riding quite skittishly after my accident a couple of years ago....but that didn't last long.

    Besides, I still feel a bit of adrenaline rush each time I go on a ride....it's a good thing, keeps you alert to all the dang cagers.

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sonja:

    I am thrilled to learn that the center of your riding universe is back. Now I hope you get an unanticipated thaw and some great riding weather. Watch for the ice and sand.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nikos: Seems to work like a charm.
    @Circle Blue: Nothing more than feelings... and the worst part... I can't get this friggin' song out of my head.
    @Charlie6: Dom, you are right, a bit of adrenaline every now and then keeps you safe.
    @Jack Riepe: 'center of my riding universe' is nicely put. And thanks for the warning, I will certainly watch out for any debris and ice on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear you're back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SonjaM:

    glad you have become "re-bonded" with Nella. I was going to take my Strom out on Saturday, I also haven't been riding since before all the bad weather, snow and ice but somehow I have hurt my throttle arm and it didn't seem like a good idea. It throbs just hanging there. I hope it goes away soon. At least temps will be up into the +8c range today

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Canajun: It is really good to be out there again.
    @bobskoot: Re-bonded is an excellent choice of wording. Good to hear that you are also still 'out there'. Temperatures should be moderate this wee. Maybe I get another chance to ride next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you might have some pre-ride nerves, but I am very pleased you were able to get over that. I think that has happened to most of us at some point, especially getting back onto a bike that we had an accident on. I don’t think any of your readers believed you when you said “Its... it's a bike. A means of transportation. A thing,” The last line of your post is much more telling of how you really feel! I am happy you have your Nella back. My Leading Ladies are somewhere on a boat on the ocean....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Gary: My initial thought after the accident was getting rid of this bike and buying another. But this thought has gone now, and I am glad that Nella and I could, as Bob has put it, re-bond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a certain magic to falling in love all over again with something familiar. It happens to me pretty regularly with several things.

    ReplyDelete