Gary, you were asking...
Here is my own albeit unspectacular story about how and why I got into motorcycling.
I was not born to ride. In fact I hated bicycles, because from where I used to live, everything seemed to go uphill.
There was this young fellow, Lothar, the neighbour's son. I had a bad crush on him. He was the wild one, with a black leather jacket, long hair, and a bit of a scarface. He was maybe 15, had an intoxicating smile, looked a bit dangerous, and was oh so cool. But I digress.
He rode what I thought was the coolest bike at that time. A Honda Monkey. Please forgive me, I was seven and easily to be impressed.
One fine day while my brother and I were (pedal) go cart racing in the yard, Lothar zipped around us, stopped in front of me (be still my heart), and asked me something along the lines of Here's looking at you, kid! No wait, wrong movie.
However, suddenly I found myself on the back of that moped, nose and hands buried in his worn out leather jacket. It was only a ride around the block in shorts and sandals, no helmet, no gear. Of course it had to be that the very moment we turned around the corner my mom spotted us... She must have had a special radar for such things. Lothar, my hero, got in trouble, I got a bad burn from the hot exhaust when dismounting the bike, and a memory that lasts a lifetime.
This event made me a dedicated pillion rider on many occasions until my brother got the motorcycle endorsement along with his car driving license, a package that my parents had denied me... so unfair! So, just because... I saved up and paid for it out of my own pocket, and got my own motorcycle, too.
I kept riding along with my "dispousal unit" many years when one day we found out that our views on life weren't compatible anymore. We eventually parted ways without fighting or battling over property, and we are still good friends. I pursued my career, and constant changes in life and career took priority over motorcycling at that time. In fall 1998 I sold my last bike.
Fast forward to Christmas 2008: Another life, another partner, another continent. We sat with our friends over a bowl of strong brandy punch when Guido and I started reminiscing about 'the good ole days of motorcycling'. The seed was planted. The sleeper awoke.
Right on cue I got laid off during the beginning of recession, and took that as a sign to start shopping for a reasonable priced re-entry bike. I was back in the saddle on a Honda NT650 Hawk GT in summer 2009.

Well good for you Sonja on all fronts! There seem to be a lot of mothers in these tales who are sternly opposed to motorbikes whilst fathers take a more "neutral" stance, hehe!
ReplyDeleteGetting laid off and going and buying a bike impresses me immensely - way to go!
Cool.....love it. and very well written.
ReplyDeleteSonja
ReplyDeleteCool story! There always seems to be a dangerous character on a bike - lol. The monkey is a cute little bike, love anything old Honda.
I've been following the why I started to ride stories. They're all pretty interesting.
ReplyDeleteErik.
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't mind buying a Monkey today. They are a cult machine. I think they are still being made in Asia but not allowed to import into North America. I also had a Honda Nighthawk but mine was only a 450
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
Getting laid off as a reason to buy a bike, amazing. I don't think I've ever heard of a monkey bike. Nice story!
ReplyDeletewhy is it women are fascinated by the "bad boy" types? why? : )
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
I wonder if any parent approves of motorised 2 wheels?
ReplyDeleteGreat post Sonja. It is nice to see how everyone developed their love of motorized two wheels.
ReplyDelete@Geoff: My mom is still against us kids riding bikes. My father was more conservative in his approach, the boy riding was ok...
ReplyDelete@Raftnn: Roger, thanks a lot.
@Dar: Yeah, the bad boys... I guess I have grown out of it though.
@Erik: I love these stories too.
@bobskoot: I haven't seen a Monkey in ages, but I would like to sit on one just for shits and giggles.
@RichardM: Well, I got bored... what was I supposed to do? Look for a job?
@Charlie6: One of the unsolved mysteries of the universer, Dom. Run with the wolves, settle down with a... sheep? I mean geek? Uhm, I hope my hubby doesn't read this.
@Nikos: Only parents that ride themselves would approve I am afraid.
@Trobairitz: Thanks, I haven't thought about this in ages. Gary gave us a good trip down memory lane.
I like this story. There are obviously lots of fond memories in here, including the attraction to the bad boy image.
ReplyDeleteIt is good sometimes to look back and think about how single events might have had such a profound influence on how we lead our lives. I am not saying this happened in your case, but it might have.
@Gary France: Thanks for re-awakening those fond memories. I haven't thought about it in ages. At one point in my life I preferred to get a bad girl image for me, and didn't need a 'bad boy' anymore ;-) Just kidding...
ReplyDeleteGreat story. lol - the sleeper awoke. That was something of the case for us. We always figured Ron would get another bike "someday". You know how that is. Then out of the blue, he did! You pretty much know the rest.
ReplyDeleteYes, moms have radar and eyes in the back of their heads, and I think most of them have special radar when it comes to things like motorbikes!
Hey,
ReplyDeleteThanks! Great post you have written on "How and why did I get into Motorbikes? ".Really I can say that your post is very informative, I'll come across your blog again when you will update it with new.
Thanks,
Robin
Top Motorbikes in India
Well written and cool bike, did Lothar say "jump on my monkey" LOL
ReplyDelete