Pages

February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Special

Cards? Chocolates? Flowers? A cute little fuzzy stuffed animal? NOT FOR ME! I am a Valentine Grinch if such a thing exist. I throw out a card after I read it, I buy sweets myself when craving occurs, and flowers are best kept in Mother Earth, and not ripped out and left to dry. I also have a sadistic streak that might lead to playing hangman with a stuffed toy.

My better half knows about my feelings towards forced upon rituals by society, and makes every effort to surprise me with gifts when I least expect it.
Last weekend we came by my favourite motorcycle shop. We browsed around, and while I briefly flirted with an R1200R, hubby discovered some Olympia AST jackets on sale. He pulled a bright one out and said, here this looks like a safe colour, I want you to wear it, this will be your Valentine. Of course I oblige, the jacket fits, it's yellow, and now it's mine.

Can you see me now?

LOVE IS... if your non-riding partner buys you motorcycle gear.

Happy Valentine's Day!

13 comments:

  1. Hi SonjaM, Olympia makes very good gear, I think You'll be happy with your purchase...just remember though, hi-viz or not, you're still invisible to most cagers....

    dom

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    Redleg's Rides

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldnt agree more, I loathe valentines day with a vengence. Great jacket you have a very thoughtful man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SonjaM:

    welcome to the Olympia Hi-Viz club. I do have a Hi-Viz Orange jacket which I don't wear much. The last time I wore it onto the BC Ferries everyone thought I was a ferry worker. I actually sat on an R something and it felt good until I noticed the price tag. Hope you are feeling better

    Happy Valentines day, and don't worry. I'm eating your chocolates

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet jacket!

    You and I seem to have the same feelings towards forced upon rituals by society. We boycott when we can and avoid the rest.

    It is much easier to buy what you want when you want it or to buy something special for your someone special when you want to, not when society dictates. At work they joke and call me the "anti-everything".

    Nice jacket. Your hubby has good taste in ladies and in riding gear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very dramatic shot. Is the hi-viz material itself retroreflective or is there additional reflective material sewn onto the jacket?

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally agree with you about Valentine and other occasions, I guess I'm a bit of a Grinch too :-)
    Nice jacket though. Your partner doesn't ride? what's he waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Charlie6: Dom, I don't expect the jacket to be a magic protection against blind cagers, but who knows, it might do me good.
    @Raftnn: Yes, Roger I am a very lucky woman ;-)
    @bobskoot: Orange would have been nice, too. But hey I don't want to be taken for ferry personnel or construction crew ;-)
    @Trobairitz: One of the many things, we have in common including hubbies extraordinaires. We try to make every day special, not only celebrate the 'special days'.
    @RichardM: I used my Gorillapod for the first time on this perspective. Worked out ok, I guess. There is additional reflective material, the fabric itself isn't, although it is very shiny when shining light on it.
    @George F: My partner had a bad shoulder and couldn't do anything heavy duty including riding, but it healed quite well, and now I hope to convince him to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also not big on holiday fussing. Strangely enough, this past weekend Ron had me order a riding jacket as a "valentine gift". (or perhaps he's just sick of jacket shopping).

    Awesome jacket, and very bright! I have some Olympia gloves that are my go to winter glove, or were until heated grips came along. Enjoy the valentines jacket, I'm betting it will be a perfect match for our cool, damp days! :)

    and hope it was a nice day in spite of the holiday!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is this with us all getting motorcycle gear or apparel? LOL. Our other halves know us quite well.

    But we are also alike, if we want something, we just get it when we need/want it...not wait. Or spend money on useless trinkets just for the sake of giving/getting something.

    Love the image! Very powerful angle and lighting.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seems to be a trend. I too got my sweety a riding jacket for Valentines day, she seemed to like it much better, and hopefully will use it more, than the torque wrench I got her last year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @bluekat: Aren't our hubbies just the best?
    @BeemerGirl: You too? Seems like all partners have united to get us girls some gear.
    @Ken: Very good, your better half will certainly appreciate the gear more than the torque wrench (I know I would...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your jacket - green is perfect. Every little bit you can do to increase your visibility is a terrific idea. You've got a better half who really cares enough to help you stay alive:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, that's MY jacket! I finally got time to pop over and nose around your space. We could totally be pals. Too bad we're on opposite coasts!

    ReplyDelete