Pages

March 25, 2011

Crazy Germans

4AM (!!!) in the morning, the alarm clock went off, and four grumpy and unkempt Germans got ready to make it up to the Haleakala Crater just in time to see the sun rise. It is a 90 min drive up a windy road in the dark, but it turned out that we were not the only crazy people with that idea. Tourists!
It was a bit nippy, so we had put on several layers that we would shed as soon as the sun rays heat up the red and black volcanic ash. While smart Andrea even brought gloves, the rest of us flatly refused to bring anything warmer than t-shirts, jeans and rain jacket to Maui. Hence, I must have looked quite funny wrapped up in my beach towel.
Watching the sun rise is always rewarding, and elevates the spirit. Although we were all craving for strong coffee going with the sandwiches we had packed, we took our time and explored the crater some more.
The air was quite thin, and we were a bit out of breath from running around (which we were of course not supposed to do in this elevation) but it was well worth the effort to be on top of the world, well make that on top of Maui instead.
Here I was still in some wrappers but already sans beach towel.
Finally back in the car we cranked up the heat, removed our layers and demanded our GPS to lead us to the nearest Starbucks, stat.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I think I feel a need to go to Maui. I never realized that there are mountains there let alone a 10,000 ft peak.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say the light offered by the sunrise was well worth the mild frostbite symptoms you all suffered!

    Very nice pictures!

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures and no doubt the view was worth the very early morning start. Personally sunrises have never been my thing - I am more of a sunset person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you make an effort, and you are greeted with a view lik that it makes it well worth while, just fantastic pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! Great decision to brave the cold and other crazy tourists. Beautiful images.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures, I'm sure it was worth the cold and getting up early. The sky looks so clear at those heights. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning pictures Sonja. Thank you so much for sharing. I've never been to Hawaii but it is on the bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Well worth the early wake up call, and braving the cold. What awesome scenery!

    ReplyDelete