Pages

December 17, 2012

Last Challenge of the Year

I have taken up the challenge posted by Scooter for Fun, looked under the seat of Bella, the Vespa GTS250, pulled out the items 'living' in the trunk, and snapped a picture before stuffing them back inside.
Balaclava (replaced by a beanie during warmer seasons),
Pair of spare gloves (always!),
Bungee net in a blue pouch (for stuff that doesn't fit in the top case),
Empty fuel bottle (note to self: needs refill),
High-viz vest (never on the road without a high-viz something),
Kidney belt (keeps me warm and supports my back),
Pair of goggles (never used).

No surprises, no weird stuff, all practical and well used items except for that pair of goggles.

12 comments:

  1. Hmmm. It's too late to head out to the Tiger, but from memory: full tool roll under the seat, two tire levers that have 22 and 27mm box end spanners on the other end, a rag; top case contains rain pants and jacket, Leatherman Wave, tire repair kit and foot pump, clear or tinted visor or the helmet, second pair of gloves, assorted little things like duct tape, some wire, insulating tape, and such. All in four or five pouches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like a lot of weight. For major issues I just carry a cell phone, credit card and my automobile club membership card with me...

      Delete
  2. Ah, Hein Gericke product placement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I travel light in comparison to others. I think I might rely on hubby's pretty full saddlebags too much.

    Good thing I'm not usually riding solo or I'd need to rethink that packing light strategy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be able to use any tools anyway so no point in carrying any.

      Delete
  4. I'm afraid that I don't travel that light. Maybe that's one of the incentives to the sidecar and one of the penalties of an older bike...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to travel light, but I am always close to civilisation. In your area I would probably learn how to fix stuff myself and be better prepared.

      Delete
  5. Sonja, your 'collection' photographs much better than mine would. I have some redundant items on more than one bike but try and move most things between each tankbag depending on where I'm going and duration. The scooters make it easy and for the others, I find the tank bags just about mandatory these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the trunk of a scooter makes it easy to carry stuff around, also it doesn't affect the handling much. On my bike I always have a tank bag with me.

      Delete
  6. Sonja: Thanks for taking the challenge. Our little collection hardly differs - in fact, I also have a Hi-vis vest, I just forgot to bring it up and after I took the picture I figured "Oh, well..."
    A question, if I may: How do you like the 250? We need a bigger scooter and we are agonizing over what to get. The Honda 110 is nice, but hitting a wall at 50.1 mph (on level ground) is rather restricting.
    Any suggestions?
    And thanks again for joining in the fun....
    Ciao.... Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, I am in love with the Vespa brand, rode a 200cc before and now a 250cc and I can tell you it is a great little bike. Of couse speed is limited. The highest speed I felt safe to go was 125 km/h (77 mph) on a US highway.
      Hubby and I have been on road-trips with the Vespas doing between 250 to 300 miles per day, and it was not a problem. Luggage can be carried in bags, the trunk and a top case, and fuel economy is fantastic: 75 to 80 mpg, need I say more?

      Delete