With reference to a Facebook promo for a Z800 Lady Edition at BikerWorld, German Bloggeress Mo complained about the manufacture's lack of phantasy in design. Why pink? And so much of it? Ladies want their choice of colours, a good fit, plus protection, not a Barbie outfit.
But many companies in the two wheeled universe still seem to assume that products specifically designed for the female clientele must have something pink in it. Oh, right, and by all means let's throw in some flowery pattern for good measure. But honestly, I don't know one female rider dressed in pink gear, not one. So, naturally one wonders, who's buying all this sh$t?
I went digging through my stuff in order to find out if I own any pink coloured gear. Bikes, helmets, jackets, pants, gloves, boots: everything but pink. Ok, colour choices are rather limited to black, sand or hi-viz yellow.
What would Yoda say? Be patient. Hmmm. Hope, there is, Ladies. Yes, hmmm.
***
Schön rosa - nicht für mich!
Mit Bezug auf die Promo-Fotos für eine Lady Edition einer Z800 hat sich Mo kürzlich auf ihrem Blog zu Recht darüber mokiert, dass die Hersteller von Damen-Motorradkleidung, aber auch von Motorrädern immer noch denken, es müsste zwingend was Pinkes drauf sein, am besten noch kombiniert mit Blümchenmuster. Aber wer kauft so einen Schei$? Ich kenne nicht eine Motorradfahrerin, die in rosa Lederkluft oder sonstigem Barbie Outfit herum läuft. Beim Durchwühlen meiner eigenen Moppedkluft habe ich nicht einen rosa Fetzen entdeckt. Das zeigt, wiederum, dass es mit viel Mühe und Geduld gelingen kann, auch andersfarbige Damen-Motorradkleidung zu finden.


Awesome bike, love the frame and your blog. Keep up the posts!
ReplyDeleteIn all my years of long distance riding and attending events like the Sturgis rally, I can say I almost never see females in pink. Once in a while, some older father type will have what must be his daughter on the back of his bike and she'll be decked out in pink chaps and a matching pink leather halter... Of course there's no helmet or jacket....
ReplyDeleteThere must be a market for it or they'd never produce it? Thankfully pink is not the only choice in women's gear!
Pink chaps? Erik, I would not want to be seen dead with it ;-)
DeleteNever liked pink. Red is sexier, black is sexiest, all the other colours are better than pink.
ReplyDeleteBlack it is, David!
DeleteNa dann oute ich mich mal. Ich habe neulich eine graue Fleece-Jacke mit pinken Einsätzen bei Tante Louise gekauft. Trés chic :-)
ReplyDeleteImmerhin, nicht ganz pink, Funny...
DeleteIch habe ein ganz pinkes Shirt von Spider. Ist zwar Ski-Unterziehzeug, aber man kann es auch so ganz vortrefflich tragen ... also auf dem Körper, nicht in der Hand ... *grins* ... Heee, als Jungsmamma muss man sich vor unerlaubtem Zugriff in den Kleiderschrank schützen ... *gröööööhl* ...
DeleteBlack and red - even the best.
ReplyDeletePink is okay ... for kids. Age 7 to ... hrumpf ... 12?
Pink for the lady ... neverever. "Not my cup of tea"
Heike, pink for kids, that's ok!
DeleteIch weiß gar nicht, wieso Motorradfahrende Frauen so gegen Pink und Lila sind. Ich steh voll drauf. Und wenn ich mein Traummotorrad in pink bekommen könnte, wär eich wahrscheinlich die glücklichste Frau seit Menschengedenken.
ReplyDeleteLiebe G'schichnErzählerin, dann bist Du die berühmte Ausnahme von der Regel und das Mopped oben im Bild wurde für Dich gemacht ;-)
Delete"Doctor my eyes...!"
ReplyDeleteAn der Untergatten habe ich zwar auch - zumindest im Winter - etwas pinkes, das ist aber nur am Reißverschluss. Und das ist auch eigentlich Schiwäsche. Und gildet eigentlich hier nicht. Sonst ist bei mir ziemlich pinkfreie Zone.
"Shrink it and pink it" klappt bei mir schon wegen der Körperdimensionen nicht. :)
Shrink it and pink it? Ach, pink macht schlank? Verdammt, wenn ich das gewusst hätte. Und Unterwäsche zählt nicht als Mopped-Gear.
DeleteJa, das wärs natürlich! Dann würde ich auch nur noch Pink tragen. Nein, gemeint ist die Haltung der Anbieter. Die machen die Sachen etwas kleiner und dann in Pink. Dann passt es schon für Frauen...
DeleteSelbst die Helmhersteller verbinden ja Damenhelme i.d.R. mit pink. Vielleicht wollen sie die holde Damenwelt für die Aussenwelt sichtbarer machen. So erkennt jeder, wenn "Ihn" eine Dame abledert....hahaha...
ReplyDeleteMir doch wurscht, was Frauen tragen. Hauptsache g´scheid angezogen und aufm Moped...so ists richtig...
Gute Einstellung, Marcus. Hast es auf den Punkt gebracht.
DeleteHere in "the states" I'm happy to see classy-cool woman's fashion replace the bubble-gum-pop of my nineties youth (although leggings/ tights can be worn many different ways). It's about time that the MC world stop living in the past.
ReplyDeleteRight on!
BTW, that's one classy-cool sportster you go there :)
Thank the powers that be, that the 90's and its fashion colours are over... There is still a lot of catch up to do. Thanks for visiting, Jason.
DeleteI am with you Sonja. I don't know who is buying all the pink. It must be selling or they wouldn't keep making it right?
ReplyDeleteLuckily Rev'it fits me best and they don't sell pink gear. Of course rarely can I find any hi-vis in stock either. Black and grey it is........
True, Brandy. But how come we never see those people? Or is it the guys buying stuff for their ladies (those that are mere decoration...)?
Deletehttps://youtu.be/QBG2Fpg1x-Q
ReplyDeleteEclectic choice, Nick ;-)
DeleteLike David, I like the color black the best in riding gear...though with some reflective striping. As to the use of pink for women's gear, not sure how to fix that until women can get into the design shops for the major manufacturers...?
ReplyDeleteDom, maybe a campaign has to be started to liberate women from pink moto gear ;-)
DeleteIt's not just motorcycle and gear manufacturers. Sigh. I remember trying to find women's soccer cleats (or football boots!) that didn't have pink incorporated into the design. And I like pink, especially fuschia/hot pink. I just hate it as a tool to announce someone's gender.
ReplyDeleteMy summer riding jacket has dark purple and hot pink on the sleeves, which I like, but the pink is an accent. It doesn't make me look like a giant powder puff and or scream, "Look! I'm a girl!"
Kathy, now that you mention it. I also had a hard time finding decent coloured running outfit. I wouldn't mind pink or purple accents. I just despise the whole screaming pink gender announcement, as you say.
DeleteYou're right, of course. I was in a sporting goods store and saw pink boxing gloves. Boxing gloves!
ReplyDeleteOh lord.
DeleteIf a guy would wear pink gloves, I'd call that a statement ;-)
DeleteKudos for you, I totally agree with you about companies thinking women riders like to wear pink. I don't wear pink ever - black on black! Not into flowery attire either.
ReplyDeleteSee, another one sans pink desires. Thanks for stopping by, Frozen Canuck.
DeleteOk I must admit to my love of pink and have had pink gear in the past, but now I wear silver or hi viz. I actually prefer the more androgynous look because then I am less gender conspicuous and I prefer that particularly if I am travelling by myself.
ReplyDeleteI have to say though I would probably buy the pink bike just because I like the fuschia colour and almost bought a magenta bike once. But as far as women's gear goes, I wish they would venture into the colour spectrum more. Guys get orange, red, blue, yellow, green, so why can't women's gear be the same? The industry needs to catch up with women instead of trying to box us into their preconceived ideas.
Dar, you are absolutely right. It is all about having options. I prefer black, and yes, hi viz is important to me, too. So why is female attire often reduced to pink?
DeleteI think it throws back to the old pink and blue gender stereotyping of old. I think gear manufacturers equate the pink as giving women the choice to feel feminine in what is otherwise very masculine apparrel.
DeleteAnother aspect I hate is the skull motif. I hate it with a passion.
The type of woman who typically decorates herself in pink is, coincidentally, the kind who would never give me the time of day so I've never been fond of the Pepto Bismol ladies. I like bunches of colors all at the same time. Wear a pear of socks with stripes like a rainbow and I'll follow you around with my little scooter all googely-eyed and twitterpated.
ReplyDelete- Joe at Scootin' da Valley
Joe, and I am sure no lady right in her mind would have an issue with you following her around on your scoot ;-)
Delete