I slept in so I am running late. So I have to get going faster than usual (call me the running slug). Soon I have conquered castle Starkenburg, I snap a few pictures and move on. The path is called way of the planets and explains our planets while approaching the (closed) observatory. Through vineyeards and on forest trails it goes up and down. There are some steep sections requiring my full attention and a full body workout with the help of my trekking poles.
At the Hemsberg Bismarck tower (did I mention that every second tower seems to be dedicated to a guy named Bismarck, mastermind of German re-unification, and inventer of our welfare state) I enjoy a snack break and a cuppa tea while sitting in the sun. My feet are especially greatful.
I skip a visit of Bensheim old city and move on again through vineyards. Located on the hill Kirchberg is a waterhole but definitely too many people for my taste. I put my mask on and start speed hiking in order to overtake the crowds. Soon I am on my own again.
Friendship pavillon belongs to the Fürstenlager, a former summer residence for sovereigns. There are mansions, stables, a huge park, a spa and fountains, alas all shut down due to Covid-19.
It's getting cool in the shadowy valley and I have almost reached the end of today's hike, however the sun is still out and so I decide to take a detour and climb another hill in order to visit castle Auerbach, yet another 200 m in elevation. But it is well worth it. The views are breathtaking and the evening sun paints the castle ruin in spectacular colours. Built in the 13th century it was destroyed in the Dutch wars four hundred years later by the French, and got never rebuilt. There are also plenty of visitors here but everybody keeps their distance. Of course I need to replenish my electrolytes with half a litre of Radler before heading down again. Now it's all downhil from here to Auerbach.
Ich hatte verpennt und bin spät dran. Daher arbeite ich mich zügig zur
Starkenburg hoch. Nennt mich Rennschnecke! Die Weinberge leuchten in loderndem Gelb. Es geht den
Planetenweg entlang, an der Sternwarte vorbei, kurzer Schnappschuss an der Burg, die immer noch nicht fertig renoviert scheint, dann wieder hinunter und ab in den Wald.
Gefühlt bin ich heute zu 90% auf Wald- und Forstwegen unterwegs, aber
die wenigen pfadigen Abschnitte haben es in sich: sie sind steil und
rutschig.
Am Hemsberger Bismarckturm (Anfang des 20.
Jahrhundert erbaut) mache ich eine erste Tee-Pause. Normalerweise ist
der Turm bewirtschaftet, derzeit aber leider nur sonntags. Meine Füße sind dankbar für die Belüftung.
Bensheim lasse ich links liegen. Am Kirchberghäuschen war die Hölle los,
also spare ich mir eine Einkehr und überhole unterwegs Scharen von
Spaziergängern, die leider zum Teil nichts von Abstands-
oder Hygienekonzept verstehen, also ziehe ich eben meine Maske auf und
spurte an ihnen vorüber. Bald bin ich wieder allein.
Der Freundschaftspavillon und das Fürstenlager
liegen schon im kühlen Schatten. Das Fürstenlager war Sommerresidenz mit Herrenhäusern, Stallungen, Gartenanlagen, und Schmuckbauten für die Gäste. Leider alles dicht wegen Corona.
Im Schatten wird es jetzt empfindlich kühl. Eigentlich wäre für mich in
Auerbach Schluss für heute, aber ich wollte noch das Auerbacher Schloss
"mitnehmen". Also wieder 200 hm hoch. Aber wer weiß, wann ich das mal wieder bei
solchem Wetter geboten bekomme. Erst einmal muss ich aber meine
Elektrolyte mit einem Radler auffüllen. Die Ruine ist grandios, die
Mauern und Türme noch in bemerkenswertem Zustand, sie ist aber auch gut
besucht. Die Höhenburg wurde im 13. Jahrhundert erbaut und im 17.
Jahrhundert im Holländischen Krieg von den Franzosen geschleift.
Besonders erwähnenswert ist aber eine Waldkiefer, die sich in luftiger
Höhe auf den Burgmauern "niedergelassen" hat. So, es dämmert bald, jetzt
geht es wieder 'runter nach Auerbach und dann ab nach Hause.
 |
View on Heppenheim
|
 |
Way of the planets
|
 |
Castle Starkenburg
|
 |
Yet another Bismarck tower
|
 |
Above Bensheim
|
 |
A nice hiker shelter
|
 |
Friendship Pavillon
|
 |
Fürstenlager Residence
|
 |
Castle Auerbach
|
 |
Tree growing on the walls
|
 |
View from below
|
 |
Roland surprised me with a meal.
|
 |
Distance: 28km; elevation: 700m
|
It doesn't look like cold weather at all. Wonderful photos of the ruins…
ReplyDeleteIn the sun it was pleasantly warm but in the shadows the temperatures dropped significantly.
DeleteNice pics and nice hike!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dom. It was quite nice.
Deletewelch schoene Strecke, und die Weinberge sehen ja cool aus im Herbstkleid. Stimmt, im Schatten ist es gleich empfindlich kuehl wenn man aus der Sonne kommt, das geht jetzt so schnell mit dem Temperaturwechsel.
ReplyDeleteStimmt, man kann sich für so was gar nicht richtig anziehen, daher laufe ich dann meist mit Daunenweste los.
DeleteGreat photos and hike! I just love those old towers that pop up along the trail. You really cover a lot of miles/km.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to keep in shape in some way, Kari, and walking is something I can do ;-)
Delete