| Nahe source |
The trail barely touches villages, and infrastructure besides overland buses is almost non-existent. No coffee shops, no groceries, no pharmacies, not even a hole in the wall. So one has to carry provisions along, except for water which can be taken from an abundance of creeks along the way, provided one uses a filter system. I however prefer asking locals for water and engage in small talk.
| Castle Veldenz in Nohfelden |
In Hoppstetten a sign points to a local grocery store where I stock on re-supplies for my overnighter in the woods. My backpack is heavy now and pulls on my shoulders while I continue my trek.
| Abbey mill of Bleiderdingen |
As the sun sets I find the ideal place to set up camp, a sleeping spot with a view. Temperatures will fall into the low single digits but my equipment has been proven capable of dealing with even sub-zero degrees °C.
I sleep well, have breakfast and break camp. The morning offers some wildlife views, there are rabbits, a beaver and deer but I am too slow to capture them with my camera.
The ups and down of the single trail continue but with the food and water vanishing magically, my pack is getting lighter again.
| Nohen railway bridge |
In Kronweiler I meet a local in a repair shop who keeps a water bottle supply for hikers and bikers in his shed giving it out for free in return for some friendly exchange of words. What a nice gentleman.
| Shelter at Kronweiler |
At the rock spur Weibersprung the tale goes that virgins had to be sacrificed in order to calm down some monster living in the gorge. I wonder why they didn't throw some younglings over the cliff for a change.
At the end of the day, shortly before arriving at the trailhead in Idar-Oberstein, the path leads along the grown river passing an interesting geological feature. The gorge rocks looks spectacular while being touched by the last sun rays of the day. What a hike! The trail is so good, I want to do it all over again. But at another time in another season. I call for a taxi to the hotel I had booked ahead, looking forward for a hot shower and call it a day.
Eine ganz attraktive Tour, das sieht sehr gut aus und hätte uns sicher auch gefallen. Die netten Geschichten am Rand machen ebenso Freude, z.B. der Herr mit den Wasserflaschen. Beim Weibersprung ist mir gleich der Pfaffensprung in der Zentralschweiz in den Sinn gekommen, du findest den auch bei meinen Stichworten in meinem Blog.
ReplyDeleteDeine Bilder machen Freude, danke!
LG Werner und Loki
Hallo Werner, das war ein sehr schöner, noch recht neu angelegter Wanderpfad, und für mich gehören die Begegnungen mit den Menschen dazu und geben jeder Wanderreise die besondere "Würze". Es freut mich, dass Du Spass an meinen Ausflügen hast. Landschaftlich sind sie ja nicht sooo spektakulär, im Vergleich zu den Bergen in der Schweiz. LG Sonja
Deletewieder solch fantastische Natur und superschoene Fotos. Ich zolle Dir meinen tiefsten Respekt fuers wandern, und dann noch uebernachten im Zelt in kuehleren Temperaturen. Ich bin da ja wirklich der Glampingtyp und brauche meinen Camper. Ich hoffe, Du hast die heisse Dusche ausgiebing genossen :-).
ReplyDeleteHallo Yvonne, Glamping ist ja auch schön, aber ich mag bei so kurzen Wanderausflügen die Flexibilität, daher wird schon einmal eine Zeltübernachtung draus. Dann weiß man die alltäglichen Dinge - wie fließend heißes Wasser - viel mehr zu schätzen ;-)
Deletegreat pics as usual SonjaM, I like the composition of the Abbey Mill
ReplyDeleteThanks Dom, the view on the abbey was a perfect place for an extended break.
DeleteMore beautiful photos Sonja. I particularly like the one of your tent - great colour and light. You must be super-fit by now 😄.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Geoff. With regards to fitness... walking is an exercise which can at least help keep your weight while continuing to enjoy food. 25-30 km a day is my "normal" on short hiking trips. If I plan to hike a longer distance, 20-25 km is the average, depending on elevation gain.
DeleteFantastic photos. Beautiful valleys!
ReplyDeleteThank you Richard, it was a really beautiful outing. Could have lasted longer but other obligations had priorities. Cheers, Sonja
Delete