Once more I am back in Calgary. We got surprisingly high interest when we put up the Silverwing for sale, and my fellow traveler decided to give it into good hands of a farmer couple from Rimbey who came at 6.30am last Thursday to check out the bike. We liked very much that they plan to strap the two-wheeler on to their RV, and show it the world, or North America for that matter, and so the deal was done.
My mission - should I decide to accept it - is to ride up the bike 260 km North to their place in central Alberta. Of course I accept this opportunity for a final ride of pride.
So I giddy up for the Cowboy Trail, also known for western-style vacations. It has a maximum of 14C (57F) with a stiff northerly breeze, and lots of clouds building up. Good, I brought along some long johns, and woolen socks. I sincerely miss the heated grips on my Beemer though.
The crosswinds are nasty, but the roads were empty and endlessly straight.
The clouds look more threatening with every minute and unfortunately become incontinent as well. The first drops are falling and (thinking of the oh so sunny prairies) I didn't bother to bring my rain gear. I carry a second jacket though, which I put over my Scorpion jacket, and the fairings keep my pants and boots pretty dry.
The sun is out again for a last glimpse, and I warm up at Sylvan Lake, a beautiful large freshwater lake in central Alberta.
Look at the swell, meanwhile the wind has become a gale. I am pretty sure that only Alberta born and bred people can survive in these waters.
Three hours later we reach the Silverwing's new home safe and sound, and are being welcomed by it's new big brother (a Goldwing) and a lovely cup of hot steaming tea.
Good bye, my dear SWing. I wish you well on your new endeavors. And thank you for 700km of wonderful travels in Alberta this year.







Incontinent clouds - I have to remember that one ... ;-)
ReplyDeleteExtra jackets, thermals, and there you sit watching a guy in board shorts and no top on. Have you no sense of shame? Sonja?? I think it was Canajun that said Canadians think it's ok to swim as long as the water isn't totally iced over :-)
ReplyDeleteWell done on the ride!
+1 to Guido. Great sentence: "The clouds look more threatening with every minute and unfortunately become incontinent as well." Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteKeith
@Guido and Circle Blue: that's the 'advantage' of being a second language speaker
ReplyDelete@Geoff: The guy had put up quite a show being in the water... must be some weird Albertan (Canadian?) mating ritual I guess. On the other hand being exposed to the mild weather of the We(s)t Coast I might have simply gone soft.
Dear Sonja:
ReplyDeleteI had no idea you owned a "Silverwing." But it sounds like you had a great farewell run. This must be the season for Canadian scooter-shedding. Did Bobskoot start a trend?
Fondest regards,
Jack • reep • Toad
Twisted Roads
What a great way to say goodbye to an old friend.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a real fan of incontinence when it comes to clouds ... or anything else, I suppose. _:)
@Mr R.: Funny coincidence indeed, that we sold our scooter at the same time. Originally I had bought this two-wheeler for my hubby. But he got injured (not the bike's fault!) and still can't ride. I tried my best to keep the scooter going, but since the bike was located in Calgary and I live in Vancouver I had a hard time to oblige.
ReplyDelete@Chuck: We had it for a year and I did not put more than 1,500km on it, this bike has been neglected far too long. Now the SWing is rolling again.
It sounds like it went to a wonderful home that will give it some adventures. Nice to see you enjoyed one last, fabulous ride and saw all of the weather. +1 on the incontinent clouds! So funny. -Lori
ReplyDeleteNice that your baby has a new home. Today the clouds in Oregon were incontinent as well - lol, great description btw. :)
ReplyDelete