While surfing the net I recently came across this posting:
riding-motorcycle-can-burn-calories! Well, if that isn't good news. Just go ride, and lose weight! The blogger explains the weight loss potential with using more muscles, being exposed to wind and weather, and not being able to snack. So far, so good. In theory that is. One caveat is my (and probably that of many other riders) motto: Ride to eat! To boldly dine where nobody has dined before. I often remember a place by the food I had there, good or bad. If you hear me talking about a location being nice, but... it usually has something to do with a not so exciting culinary encounter.
I have had good meals pretty much everywhere. But one of my most memorable meals happened back in April 1994 at a
small restaurant in Colle di Val D'Elsa, Tuscany, Italy. An eight course dinner with eight different wines. Ever since I associate Italian cuisine with positive culinary experience.
Of course there were plenty of average and bad food, too. Quite constant in their low quality standards was British pub food in the Manchester/Liverpool area. They really master the art on how to murder a meal and destroy their guest's taste buds. I will not tell any names but is was close to Alsager, where I almost went vegetarian. On the plus side, I learned to appreciate the Eastern Indian cuisine.
However, coming back to the point of my story: Riding and losing weight! Doesn't work for me. I want to go places and eat there, too! And what is it with people's obsession to lose weight anyway. Food should be joy and pleasure just like riding.
With this in mind I say:
Mahlzeit!
Using some muscle to straighten up fully loaded Nella (photo courtesy of bobskoot). Does the bike make my ass look fat? NO! It's my ass that makes my ass look like I enjoy good food ;-)
Losing weight and motorbiking..........never gonna happen. Not unless you are a Moto Gp rider. I am like you, often plan my rides around food! (actualy you didn't say that, but I know that is what you were thinking)
ReplyDeleteMaaaaaahlzeit ... ;-) Have to ride up to Alice's Restaurant again soon!
ReplyDeleteRiding as a way to burn calories. Compared to sitting on a recliner, I would guess that riding would burn more calories. I must admit that all of the group rides I've been on always had food as an important part of the experience.
ReplyDeleteRichard
I reckon riding can help loose weight. When I'm away on a big tour, riding quite a few miles a day I tend to eat less - often just breakfast and dinner. Not to mention that you tend to loose a lot fluids which can be a bit more difficult to replace as you go.
ReplyDeleteI've got a 9 day, 5,700km trip coming up soon so looking forward to the positive effect it may have on my waistline...
Just another reason to get out on the bike more!
Yeah, it's a nice thought...
ReplyDeleteI heard the same thing about bicycling. Our bicycle club's motto is ride to eat, eat to ride (funny how that comes up in different places). I know if I don't lose weight bicycling, I'm surely not going to get skinny on the motorcycle. :)
A British magazine ('Bike') did some research into this last year, and concluded that not only was motorcycling good for burning off excess calories, but that it was good for your heart too: the same as a long brisk walk. I have my doubts on this. There are many reasons for going for a ride, but weight loss isn't one of them. I can't remember a ride-out that didn't involve food at some point, and usually the high-cal, high-fat kind.
ReplyDeleteYummy.
SonjaM, hmmm, I tend to actually skip meals when out riding.....and lots of calories have been expended by me from picking up dropped motorcycles back in my R1150RT days, pushing motorcycles in my present Ural days.....so there's some truth to what you found! : )
ReplyDeletedom
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
Redleg's Rides
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteRight you are. WE live to ride and eat, or is eat, then ride. So many restaurants and so little time, and lots of scenery between
bob
Wet Coast Scootin
@Raftnn: You are reading my mind!
ReplyDelete@Guido: And it is such a great ride to get there ;-)
@RichardM: I guess especially in group rides that's part of the deal, right?
@Andrew: Sounds like a great plan, 9 days 5,700km. I am sure there will be plenty of good food on the road. Your waistline might tell you. I envy you.
@bluekat: I assume that bicycle riding will actually do some good. I just don't get the concept to ride a two wheeler propelled by man, when I can have a ride with a motor ;-)
@Richard: I believe that people obsessed with weight loss will find a reason to interpret everything the way they see fit for their mission.
@Charlie6: Well, Dom. If you see it that way, pushing your bike, lifting it. Now we are talking.
@bobskoot: This I learned from you, master. Let's go out for an eat (I mean a ride), soon.
+100 on loving the ride to eat mantra!
ReplyDeleteEating is such a lovely social activity. Combine that with a great ride to get to wherever you're sitting down? Perfection :)
FWIW - I think you look great. :)
Sonja:
ReplyDeleteYou set such a good example and I'm such a poor follower of your standard. In typical "Guy" fashion, I generally hate stopping, whether it be in the car or on the bike. When out for a fang with the lads, this usually translates into grabbing a meat pie of dubious nutritional value when gassing up, washed down with a bottle of water. As you might appreciate, it's a bit different when certain loved ones are with me - by order :-).
I must try to adopt your example more regularly...
"FWIW - I think you look great. :)"
ReplyDeleteYup, ass definitely within normal limits. Ah, who cares? You ride a bike; that's good enough.
@Fuzzy: I second that. And thanks...
ReplyDelete@Geoff: There may be one good day that we can travel together, not that I dislike meat pie from a certain gas station, but as Fuzzy said so rightly: sitting down and eating is such a lovely social activity.
@Richard: Appreciate your comment on my bum ;-)
LOL. I would have agreed during the days of riding my POS Suzuki when I would grip the tank with my legs like death was riding behind me. Now, not so much anymore. Death can't keep up. When alone or with hubby, we don't focus too much on food. We like to try something new, but are ok with Burger King if that is all there is. When with friends, they like the speciality sit down stuff.
ReplyDeleteThough I would absolutely love to sit and enjoy an eight course meal with eight different wines. I would savor that!!
-Lori
The trick is to plan the ride to a place where you have to dismount and either climb a hill or mountain or descend to the canyon or river to get the nice pictures ;-) at least that's how I see it :-)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, you look fine :-)
You ask, "Does the bike make my ass look fat?" and then answer your own question. I agree that the bike most certainly does not make your ass look fat, but it certainly does make your ass look fast!
ReplyDelete~Keith
@BeemerGirl: Lori, I certainly savor this scrumptious meal, hence being able to remember when it happened.
ReplyDelete@George F: This is an awesome idea. Why didn't I think about it. Exercising to get the best photo ops.
@Circle Blue: Keith, you got it. It was a simple typo. I WANTED to say 'fast' not 'fat'. Good one!
This is probably going to sound even more sexist than I am, but the best thing a woman can do for her derriere is park it on a bike or horse... (bedtime, off the the couch I go..)
ReplyDelete