Pages

February 28, 2011

Fade to black and white

The voice of reason (a.k.a. hubby) told me not to go out on any wheels, not on four and certainly not on two. We got about a foot of snow overnight.
While left with legs as the only means of transport for today I walked along the shore close to home.
I am not a big fan of the white stuff but I enjoyed my outing nevertheless. The snow smothered the usual background noises of the city. It was quiet except for the crunchy noises of walking in the snow.
It might take awhile before this bench will be back to its usual duties.
These palms are certainly not amused about being covered in a layer of white stuff,
while this fella in the background seems to be happy (as long as it lasts).
I am so lucky to be able to live in a spot like this, with the inlet shore and its park only a quick walk away, surrounded by mountains, yet close to the city. Life is good!

15 comments:

  1. Great pics Sonja. Bummer about the snow.

    Hopefully it will melt just as quickly as ours did. All gone today and we are back to normal temps. Soon you will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does seem that the snow smothers the usual background noises. I notice that, too. It is one of the things I like about it snowing.

    It does appear that you are indeed lucky to be living where you do.

    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Averse as I am to snow Sonja, that's exceptionally beautiful. Unlike the UK, life seems to go on largely unaffected for you guys too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos! Sometimes I miss the snow. But then ... just sometimes.

    There was snow in the forecast for Sunnyvale yesterday but nothing happened ... boooh! It's probably better this way as Californians can't even drive when it's just raining. Don't want to know about how they deal with snow ...

    And, except from the weird forecast we had great weather, nice sunshine but chilly most of the time as soon as you were out of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness the snow moved your way ;-) oh, actually the weather pattern usually brings the storms our way :-( please keep it there for a while ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palm trees in snow, you do live in the Key West of Canada! Nice pics.

    dom


    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    Redleg's Rides

    ReplyDelete
  7. THere is certainly a serinity about your phots. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos! I especially like the one with snow on the palm trees. Nice demonstration of global warming.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics, as usual! Especially the palm tree pic and the bench.

    There is something really serene about the way the snow muffles the sounds of the world around you - as you mentioned. Love that~

    Hope you're already melting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, but the poor palms! :)
    I'm glad you were able to enjoy it for the moment, and I hope it goes as quickly as it came.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Trobairitz: We had some nasty freezing rain overnight, but the white stuff is already fading away.
    @Circleblue: Keith, that's one of the few things I like with winter... the silence that comes with it.
    @Geoff: Well it isn't too bad here, winter in this part of Canada usually means 5 days of snow, not necessarily in sequence.
    @Guido: I read on Bluepoof's blog that there was a hint of snow on the ridge, but nothing serious.
    George F: Sorry man, it's almost gone, probably heading your way now.
    @Charlie6: Thanks, Dom. I actually had to laugh because the palms looked so sad.
    @Raftnn: Thanks, Roger. I was hoping to catch some of the serenity in my pics.
    RichardM: Global warming? What was that, again?
    Fuzzygalore: Same with me, as long as the moment of serenity doesn't last too long ;-)
    @bluekat: Yeah, those palms really made my day. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Beautiful. I love the image of the pier! Thanks for sharing the images and walk. Great looking day.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful shots and i certainly don't miss being in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very soothing pictures. We live about 2 miles from a major highway, and I can hear traffic on it as early as 5:30am. But on days when we've had a significant snowfall, the heavily muted sounds from US-202 are like winning a lottery. I know exactly what you mean.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Beemergirl: Lori, this pier is one of my favourite spots any time of the year. It's a place to relax, listen to the water, watch boats and birds and the occasional seal.
    @Dave: Thank you, and I certainly wouldn't miss the white stuff either.
    @Jack Riepe: That's exactly it, eh? One of the few things to like about snow. Similar effects can be caused by fog, but it's not that efficient.

    ReplyDelete