And then there was that song in my head...
I didn't have blue suede shoes to put on
I didn't have blue suede shoes to put on
so I boarded the plane in sneakers
touched down in the land of the Delta Blues
in the middle of the pouring rain
W.C. Handy
won't you look down over me
I got an economy class ticket
since the company paid for me
Then I'm walking in Memphis
Was walking with my feet, ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel
They've got barbecued ribs with beans and fries on the table
They've got gospel in the air
(and live music at B.B. King's Blues Club)
When you haven't got a prayer
Girl, you got a prayer in Memphis
Saw the ghost of Elvis
On Union Avenue
Then I watched him walk right through
When I was walking in Memphis
I was walking with my feet, ten feet off of Beale
Walking in Memphis
But do I really feel the way I feel
And that just song got stuck in my head
Excerpts taken from one of my all-time favourite songs: Marc Cohn's 'Walking in Memphis'
More to come: The City and the Legend
AWESOME!! What a great way to do a post. I love that song.
ReplyDeleteStill remember when it came out, driving through Alberta with it cranked on the stereo. I think I still have the Mark Cohn CD with that on it.
Thanks Sonja for the walk down memory lane.
I love that song too! Thanks for the memories Sonja. I was posted there in 1996 and it doesn't look to have changed a lot. Sadly, BB King was overseas when we looked in.
ReplyDeleteA fellow Kiwi I was with hates Elvis with a passion. It was his birthday and for it, we manufactured a tacky but credible-looking pass to Graceland. The expression on his face when he opened the envelope will always remain with me!
Superbly done post Sonja, just marvellous!
I echo Trobairitz comments re mixing the song into the posting, very nice.
ReplyDeleteNow if only your company would pay for a motorcycle rental....then you'd be set!
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
SonjaM:
ReplyDeleteI would love to go to Memphis, one day, to see Graceland and eat all the stuff you ate. I'm not vegetarian but I don't like everything fried either.
I can almost taste the pulled pork
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
Quite a trip! I really like the angled city shots - very colorful and dynamic.
ReplyDeleteSure, and now I have that song stuck in my head! Perfect with the post! :)
@Troubairitz: You are most welcome, I also still have that CD.
ReplyDelete@Geoff: Well, you must have gone places. Everywhere I am going you have already been ;-)
As for Elvis... that's my parent's generation music. I have never been a fan of this particular genre. Yes, Graceland was nice to visit.
@Charlie6: Dom, my company requests a certain business attire when visiting suppliers/clients. Fat chance to travel on a bike.
@Bobskoot: Bob, even more so you should ride in the Ozarks. Lovely corner of the Midwest.
@bluekat: Thank you, Kari. I had that song stuck in my head the whole time.
Great post! Perfect mix of a good song and great sights. I've seen a couple of those, but not all. Have only spent one weekend in Memphis at a seminar and could only spend one evening on the town. Now I want to go back!
ReplyDelete-Lori