Pages

December 03, 2012

In the Mood for Snow

My employer had invited the team for (early) Christmas celebrations at the Summit Lodge in Whistler, and we were happy to oblige. We had booked an extra night and drove up early on Friday to make the weekend getaway really worthwhile. Our trip started in torrential rainfalls, but as we were gaining elevation the rain became snow, and the world turned from depressing grey to shiny white. There is something special about the first snow in the year, which I find quite magical.
The view from our hotel room. I managed to capture some of the rare blue sky. We geared up for a hike, and took in the fresh mountain air. As most people were headed for the mountains we had the meadows all to ourselves.
The sign reads 'Keep off Greens'. Greens? What greens? They are currently covered by a foot deep of fresh white stuff, so we crossed the snow field.
We hiked around Lost Lake which was merely a three or four mile long hike, we got however quite the workout trudging through the deep snow.
This peaceful picture was taken at Green Lake. There are a handful of lakes around Whistler adding to the outdoor opportunities.
A geeky snapshot of the two of us at the lake. There were no other people around, so we had to take the picture the good ole handhold way.
Friday night we had some pretty authentic tasting Mexican food, and the chef was great with veganizing my dish. On top of it we had some awesome drinks. Mango Margarita for me and Sangria for the spouse. This restaurant is highly recommended!

The official company dinner was on Saturday night and took place at the Wildwood Bistro.  They had exactly one vegetarian dish, which I asked to veganize, but it was nothing to write home about. There was no complaints but no excitement either around the table. I would say the food was merely average. Nevertheless we had a good time, and enjoyed a midnight stroll along the Whistler pedestrian zone after.
This is us in front of the Olympic rings.
Snow and fairy lights. 
 The perfect ingredients to get into the season's spirit.
Life is good, eh!

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the snow covered mountains and the nice lighted trees. Three miles through a foot of snow is a challenging workout. Should've brought the skis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We somehow thought, that the cross country ski rental would be open but the trails weren't groomed yet, hence the two of us walking...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful. I love the first snowfall and the twinkling lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost forgot how beautiful snow can be, and sometimes I miss it BUT you don't have to shovel rain...

      Delete
  3. Very pretty....I only ever been to the snow once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have plenty over here in case you need it ;-)

      Delete
  4. Looks like fun. Thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice when the snow stays where it is supposed to be - in the hills? Then we can go visit it any time but don't have to shovel it at home.

    It looks like a nice weekend away. Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is a bit over a two hours drive and well worth it.

      Delete
  6. "Isn't it nice when the snow stays where it is supposed to be - in the hills?"

    This is what our brightest minds should be working on.

    Looks like you had a great early step into winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Why can't it always be like this ;-)

      Delete
  7. Is that your Audi? Wait while I wipe away the tears...I can't see the computer screen.

    One of my favorite cars. Stating the obvious- nice life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Audi is ours, well actually the bank kinda owns it...

      Delete
  8. Ah, you got to experience the real thing instead of the faux snow Heather and I encountered over the weekend. It would be nice to be able to drive to snow and drive home to not snow. This is the only reason I can think of to live near mountains.
    ~k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is when mountains come in handy. Let's better not have now in the lower mainlands. People just can't handle it. It is already as bad as it gets when it's raining.

      Delete
  9. I love those photos of the lake, and the one of you guys is great too, that's the best way to take holiday or fun snaps I reckon :)

    I've only ever seen snow once in my life and it wasn't even deep enough to completely cover the grass (and I didnt get to play in it either), it looks like hard work hiking through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, it's quite the excersise I can tell but on the plus side you get to stay warm ;-)
      I have seen my share of snow but I like it when it stays where it belongs... the mountains and ski hills.

      Delete
  10. snow, I've heard of that stuff....good pictures Sonja.

    there's rumors of snow coming our way on Sunday, here's hoping!

    dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it about time you ride donuts in the white stuff, Dom? I send some your way.

      Delete
  11. Snow! So glad it was something you had to drive to. I loved the first snow when I was a kid, but living up north it quickly became a grind because I had to shovel it for 6 months and the love affair and fascination with it quickly waned for me. I have to say as much as I grump about the rain, I would rather it rain than snow any day.

    The lights in Whistler look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar, whenever I see snow, I am totally excited, that is until I realize the cold... At least one doesn't have to shovel the rain down here in the valley.

      Delete
  12. Envious. Whistler's a beautiful spot at any time but during the winter with the Christmas lights out it's pretty magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same about it, holiday feelings included.

      Delete
  13. What is that orange drink in the picture with the red spackle on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, thanks for stopping by. That's Mango Margerita. Very tasty.

      Delete
  14. Beautiful country! I hate snow but it sure is pretty. Looks like you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had, indeed. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete
  15. Nice getaway indeed Sonja. Those sights sparked memories of our own getaway to Whistler in August. Perfect place to recharge your batteries.

    All the best to you and Roland for the holidays!

    d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, see now you know what we Pacific Wet Coasters are talking about ;-)

      All the best to you and your family as well.

      Delete
  16. The sign reads 'Keep off Greens'. Greens? What greens, Lol, the warning should have been seasonal. :). Beautiful country though, looks like you had fun!

    ReplyDelete