Saturday 8.18 AM, 4C, sleet. My typical route along the shoreline was cut short by the occurrence of a
perigean spring tide, or in layman's terms king tide, an extreme high tide event that happen when the sun and moon is in alignment and the gravitation forces reinforce one another. 'Fascinating!' as Mr Spock would have said.
The trail is under water.
The flood is at its peak.
The boardwalk... not above but in the water.
And the waterfowl doesn't care.
Sorry for the bad quality of the pictures. With rain/snow at dawn it just wasn't the best light conditions for a simple point-and-shoot camera.
King Tide, never heard that term before...cool stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Charlie, king tide is a new term to me too. And that's a nice collection of Canada Geese and Mallards - just in time for Christmas dinner.
ReplyDeleteI have read of this (non-scientific) expression before, and it likely originates from the Asian-Pacific regions. Maybe some Kiwis or Aussies can confirm?
ReplyDeleteI add my voice to the chorus. The term king tide is new to me. Thanks.
ReplyDelete~k
Looks wet - very wet! Part of the unusual weather happening all over the country I guess. Freezing rain here today and still not enough snow to even mention. Saw a Harley out on Friday (unheard of this late here!)
ReplyDeleteAnother King Tide Newbie here. I've been around Bay of Fundy tides and lots of Atlantic level swings but as you know, it's mostly just a concept here in the Heartland.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, you folks over there in the corner better have at the ready some really good waders or better yet, life rafts.
Stay dry!!
Beautiful. But makes me sleepy...
ReplyDeleteWow! I would have been tempted to go stamping through that water anyways. Up to the knees and I could do it. hehe Although...on a cold day I might have to think twice. Hope you were still able to get around.
ReplyDelete