Pages

December 12, 2012

You know what I didn't do last Summer?

I did not buy that 2006 Triumph 1050 Speed Triple for almost seven grand. It was a very nice bike, and well maintained, too.
 
I visited her twice, and I almost took her home, but in the end I didn't. At the end I was terrified of the one liter machine, and what it would do to me. Besides, where is a money tree when you need it?

Meanwhile an update on my Cruiser-going-Street-Tracker-Scrambler Project... Changes to date have been low cost, and low tech: Seat, Flyscreen, and Handguards.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Sonja!

    I must have missed something with you contemplating a Speed Triple! For what it's worth, I think your decision was correct. I tried the Speed Triple before I bought the Street. The Speed was a little too tall for me, the weight was carried higher than I liked and it simply didn't feel "right" whereas the Triple was perfect in all respects, including that oh so elusive emotional appeal.

    Hope to see you on one at some time in the future :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, there were only a limited amount of Triples around for sale this summer, so I started looking at other options. This one was actually lowered and had a different pair of shocks, so it fitted quite well. There were about 5k worth of upgrades in there, but still the price tag (and my being scared of the machine) was too high for my budget.

      Delete
  2. Sonja:

    I was also looking at Street Triples, Not the Speed. But I wanted something with luggage options so that ruled it out, but it would be good for short weekend trips, or day rides

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, my luggage options are easy: tank bag and my strip on Kriega pack would have fit like it does on the Harley. With the power I would rather like to think of it as a track bike... I couldn't see myself riding it in normal traffic...

      Delete
  3. I'm enjoying watching a one of a kind Sonja Harley come into being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes we just have to take ourselves out of our comfort zones, you don't need to be scared of the thing. Its your right wrist that you need to keep in check and your in control of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but what do you need it for anyway? You can't go faster than 110km/h in Canada... I have been traveling Europe on a 500cc single cylinder and it was totally sufficient.

      Delete
  5. I think Chillertek is correct, it is all a matter of discipline. One can get into trouble on a 650cc bike just as well as they can a liter bike. Heck, Brad was teaching me on his KZ900 before I'd even taken the class.

    I think you are having almost as much fun customizing Rover though. It looks so one a kind with that nod to a Bonneville seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I like transforming the Sportster, and it keeps my budget in check as I don't have money for another bike right now.

      However, I will never understand why bike need to have endless cc's and HP's. What's the point?

      Delete
    2. With guys, it's tied up with their manhood :-)

      Delete
    3. I was going to say I don't understand the endless cc pursuit, but I wouldn't want anyone to question my manhood, so, I'll keep my mouth shut :)

      Delete
    4. Geoff, of course, the ladies don't have that issue.

      Keith, having a scooter-riding husband I would be the last one questioning it. You have to be very secure in your manhood to be able to ride scooters ;-)

      Delete
  6. Sonja,

    I am loving seeing what you are doing to Rover. He is a beautiful bike and suits you. I too don't get the endless cc pursuit, the other day I was asked why I didn't ride anything bigger than my 500cc bike? I think my bike is plenty big enough for me and being a little on the short side I could not imagine myself getting on a taller or heavier bike. As for the speed thing 90k's is 90k's no matter what you ride and I for one would prefer just to stick with the speed limit. If I want to go fast I will learn how to ride a track bike and buy one of those. Who knows what 2013 will bring to your door, maybe it will be a different bike or you just kicking Rover up a notch or two with your mods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dar, I have become quite attached to the Sporty I must confess, and it has proven its reliablity every so often. I will certainly keep it around for a bit.

      I would love to get in a track day experience but you can also blast them away on a 250cc two-stroke. Yet again no need for 'the big guns' except one has a small... personality ;-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Sonja. All this about choices comes home to us as we struggle with up-to-a-larger scooter, or go to a motorcycle decision.
    With so much short-hop, inner city driving, no shifting is soooo nice.
    When looking at 200 miles of travel, 51 miles an hour is sooooo bad.
    And 'though the two decisions are not precisely the same, I think they evoke the same sort of turmoil.
    Funny how our lives get tangled with these beasties.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya and thanks for visiting. I guess that's what we should call a typical first world problem...

      Delete
  8. It sure looks nice though the downside is major. One liter bike will seriously dent your pocket. Talking of denting pockets, you can ease your pocket by shopping at 4wheelonline this holiday season. Check it out here Motorcycle Tires

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sonja, I meant to get back to this and only now remembered. As nice as my (employer's) smartphone is, I Read Posts, then forget when I get home, to follow-up and Write.

    I really like what you're doing with your Sportster; keep on making it your own personal version.

    ReplyDelete