Pages

March 05, 2013

One man. One bike. One direction.

The next best thing a rider will turn to when confined to indoors is to read travel books, travel blogs, watch travel videos and plan road trips while waiting for the weather to improve.

And there it sits, a shiny temptation on my coffee table: France in America
4 1/2 months, 21,000 miles, 27 US states, over 400 pages of bliss. 



I had the recent pleasure to receive an early copy of Gary's book France in America. Since its arrival I would read two chapters each night after work, and had something to look forward to the next evening. This book became my lifeline during the past couple of weeks of rainstorms and dreary weather at the Pacific We(s)t Coast.

This book is a treasure, and well written (he is British after all...). Its glossy pages are bursting with photos, and have valuable maps added to be able to follow his route. When Gary invites the inclined reader to join him on his journey of a lifetime, one feels like riding pillion.

So I hopped on the backseat of his custom painted Harley Davidson "The Leading Ladies" and let it roll. I enjoyed the fair weather, and felt threatened by adverse weather conditions. I worried with him about lost keys or broken gear. I got to meet the people he met, and marveled at the sights that he documented with tons of his own pictures. I felt the loneliness when he mentioned how much he missed his wife during his solo trip and I rejoiced when she could join him for a stretch of the tour.

Gary showed me places I haven't seen before, and refreshed my memory of the places I had previously visited. So, when his book came to its inevitable ending, I felt a void in what had become a routine of my day, and wanted to shout at Gary: Turn around! Take the Southern route and go back East! I simply didn't want it to be over.

Two things stroke a chord with me. Gary said that he wasn't much of a nature lover, and that living in a big city didn't help, but that traveling through the US on a motorcycle - quote:"...made him appreciate our planet for the marvel it truly is." Darn right, Sir!

The other interesting fact were the friendly encounters along his journey, with Americans wishing him well on his journey, pleased with him being able to undertake this trip, and telling him this completely free of envy. Gary worked hard his whole life, and this adventure had been on his bucket list for the longest time. He certainly earned it!

Here is what I have for you, Gary: Respect, admiration and gratefulness. You planted a seed in my mind, and I hope that I will also be able to venture out one fine day to undertake such an epic journey like yours. Thanks for this wonderful book.

Certainly a must read for anyone who loves travels, motorcycles and America!

11 comments:

  1. Damn good review SonjaM!

    dom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be a dream ride for me, either. To travel through the US with Greeny, my beloved KLX250. Yes, I think that is a project for the future...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonja, I'm not even sure damn good does it....I'm even more anxious now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The perfect review Sonja.

    So many people have reviewed the book so far I shall refrain as I know I can't do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent review Sonja - thanks for putting into words what we all want to say and share with folks who haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ein Mann. Ein Motorrad. Ein Weg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great book. Haven't read it all the way through, but it has a lot of info, insights and great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well put Sonja. I saw various iterations of Gary's book along the way, but never once thought of your "feels like riding pillion" idea - what a great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sonja – Many thanks for reading the book and writing such a good review. I love what you have said about my book. It gave me a lot of pleasure to read that you had enjoyed it so much and that it became your lifeline for a couple of weeks during the bad weather. Big smiles here!

    One day, I might just take that southern route....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for posting. The review is amazing. Many people have read the book and I bet those that have come across this review are excited. The book is detailed with valuable information, descriptive photos and insights as well. Touring Bike Parts

    ReplyDelete