Motorcycle equipment links is something I can somewhat tolerate although I do not like my blog to be misused as free advertising space to begin with.
But why support the promotion of wart removal, fake fur coats, weight loss, enhancement of certain body parts, or acne cures etc. Really? Blogger starts to freak me out...
So, I apologize for the inconvenience but I had to re-activate the word verification in the comment section. I hope this will keep the annoyance within reasonable numbers.
As much as I like increased traffic on my blog... I want it to be for the right reasons.
Oh, and I got mail:
I wonder...
I bought some cool scooter boots, too.
(I got bored, and "needed" to shop for moto gear.)
I wanted something safe and comfortable to walk around in.
I wanted something safe and comfortable to walk around in.
TCX Womens X/Street Lady Leather Shoes
Stylish, comfy AND road safe

Probably like many, I too have been getting those annoying spam comments that sound real, but then are just a way of leaving a link back to a commercial site. Comment moderation will help, but it is a pain in the backside. Loving the look of those boots. I too wonder what might be in that heavy-looking package....
ReplyDeleteAh, you probably wouldn't know, would you? It had been sent up from Washington. Does it ring a bell?
DeleteErr, yes it might. It does have a familiar ring to it.....
DeleteI dont get too much spam, I always thought it was the word verification thingy that helped that.
ReplyDeleteThe boots look great!
The word verification seems to do the trick. So far I haven't received more.
DeleteDigging the boots. And good things always come in brown packages...
ReplyDeleteI like brown packages, too.
DeleteYou'll love the contents of the brown package SonjaM!
ReplyDeleteAs to spam, love the stuff that comes out of a can, but like you hate the stuff that tries to sneak in via comments. Just had a mental picture of me frying some spam over a burner attached to a propane container, in my foxhole, 1991, Saudi Arabia....mmmmmmmm
I have never had the edible version of spam. But I guess when you are in the middle of nowhere even can food can be delicious...
DeleteFried Spam....nom nom nom.....raw? not so much.
Delete**chuckles** Spam must be going around, for I was going to write on this very topic.
ReplyDeletePlease do!
DeleteI second the "good things come in brown packages" comment!
ReplyDeleteI take it that you must know what's in it.
DeleteIndeed I do! You will enjoy it.
Deletei was writing on spam and watermarks too... and oh how i love the heavy brown box ;)
ReplyDeleteYou too, eh?
DeleteI have had the same problem....didnt relise intrnet shopping fixed it though.
ReplyDeleteI guess internet shopping must be very therapeutic...
DeleteIt seems like everyone is dealing with the spam issue right now. I am getting at least 6 per day in the spam folder, but luckily only 1 a week or so slips through and gets posted and I delete them as soon as I see them.
ReplyDeleteI have it set up so that any comment on a post over 7-10 days needs to be approved and the spammers try to hit the older posts sometimes so it takes care of those ones.
Oh - and you will be amazed and in awe at the brown package. It is truly awesome.
The spamming hadn't been that bad before, or I was to naive to detect it as such but getting several a day was becoming very annoying.
DeleteYou are absolutely right, that lots of the spammers try to get through by older postings.
I have 2 older posts that always seem to generate the most spam. Some of the spam post look like they actually took the time to read my blog, some are pretty nonsensical. All of them have some link to some unrelated web site... Some to motorcycle parts places.. I tend to delete them all. I haven't gone as far as the word verification yet. I hate that, some of the letters the computer generates are very difficult to read. I'll have to change my setting for old post comments. Good idea.
ReplyDeleteI don't like the word veri either, you are right they are sometimes hard to interpret, but for now I have to say it works like a charm. Not one more anonymous spammer getting through.
DeleteI have noticed a trend recently where spammers write something semi-sensible about the blog post which on the face of it seems like a plausible comment, and then include a link back to their own website. This does three things.
ReplyDelete1. It gets them better rankings in most search engines. This is because rankings improve the more external links there are to a site. This is the main reason they do it, to improve their SEO.
2. Proper readers of a blog might just click on the link and be taken to their website.
3. When commenting on a blog post, many people subscribe to receive follow up comments by email. The spammers comments (and link) are therefore sent by email to anyone that previously wrote a comment and elected to receive follow up comments. That is why spammers mainly target older posts, especially those with lots of previous comments.
I am afraid the only way to stop these spammers is to use comment moderation. They will soon learn that putting spam on your site is a waste of time as it wont appear. Maybe the way forward is to turn on comment moderation for say a month, during which time the spammer will realise it is a waste of time targeting your site, then turn the moderation off again.
There is another method that can be used to stop the spammers, but it only works in some cases and you have to have big balls to try it....
I wasn't aware of the full extend of this spam but I remember that when I started the blog I didn't have to moderate any of the comments. They were all origin. I don't mind the moderation and validation though. It cost a bit of my time but that's alright. But I wonder what hardcore method would you have in mind to make them stop for once and all?
DeleteI have never removed comment moderation ... and still, there are a few commercial sites that, I'm assuming hire real people, to get through and sound somewhat legit ... hey, it's job creation. I can still choose what I let through....
ReplyDeleteSay what, a heavy, brown package you say! I wonder what's in it?
If they hire real people, how come their English is so much worse than mine? I also believe it is the easiest to filter what's going through.
DeleteYou may wonder for another two days what's in it ;-)
Sonja love those boots! I have looked at them and thought hmmmm. I have TCX T-Lilly boots and love them. Those might be awesome boots for summer riding. Where did you get them from?
ReplyDeleteThey seem a good fit, and I also hope they will be good for summer riding but they are waterproof and should be good for rainy day's too. You can get them at the usual suspects such as CanadasMotorcycle or if you do cross-border shopping at Revzilla or MotorcycleSuperstore.
DeleteThe spam has been much hotter and heavier with me as well. The Spam filter catches most of them and when I can, I go and verify that they haven't made it through. Like Erik, I'm going to resist the verification if I possibly can. I can tell by my Traffic numbers that much of the traffic is spam related.
ReplyDeleteMy traffic has gone down to normal numbers since reactivation of the word verification. It's a bit of a nuisance but better than stupid spammers getting through.
Delete