After a while of hemming and hawing over the purchase I finally bought the kind of bike that is supposed to carry the so inclined rider up the hills and mountains: A medium priced entry level hard tail mountain bike.
| Meet 'Spike' the bike, my Merida Big Seven 40 |
When I took this model on its first test ride uphill right behind our local bicycle shop I was pleasantly surprised how easy hill climbing on a pedal powered two-wheeler can be. The incline was up to 12% but the bike's gear shift mastered the task effortlessly. I almost felt like an athlete ;-) After the dealer threw in a lady saddle for enhanced comfort, some street legal lights and a bottle holder as - quote: an early Christmas present - we had a deal, and the bicycle became mine.
After a second breakfast and a coffee back home I went on a first official test ride: The first stretch uphill... no issue. Over rocks, rubble and roots... great grip and balance. On tarmac... boy, does that thing go fast. I am far from being a real sportswoman, however this bicycle almost makes me feel like I could be one... in due time.
***
Wir können auch schneller, höher, weiter!
Nachdem ich eine Weile hin und her überlegt hatte, habe ich mir nun doch die Art Fahrrad zugelegt, die es ermöglichen soll, auch Hügel und Berge zu erklimmen: Ein nicht zu teures Anfänger Hard Tail Mountain Bike. Direkt auf der ersten Testfahrt bestieg ich den mit 12% nicht gerade flachen Hügel hinter unserem lokalen Fahrradhändler und war verwundert (und begeistert), wie einfach es doch sein kann, mit einem Pedal betriebenen Zweirad Steigungen zu überwinden. Ich kam mir fast schon sportlich vor. Als der Händler dann noch einen Damensattel für besseren Komfort, legale Straßenbeleuchtung und einen Flaschenhalter - Zitat: als verfrühtes Weihnachtsgeschenk - gratis hinzu gab, war der Deal geritzt und ich radelte das Fahrrad nach Hause.
Nachdem wir noch ein zweites Frühstück zuhause eingelegt hatten, wollte ich das neue Teil natürlich auf einer offiziellen Testfahrt ausprobieren. Der erste Teil des Weges ging direkt bergauf... kein Problem. Dann ging es über Stock, Stein und Geröll... klasse Grip und gute Balance. Und dann auf dem Asphalt... ging das Bike ab wie ein Zäpfchen. Mann, ist das schnell. Ich bin zwar keine Sportskanone, aber dieses Fahrrad gibt mir das Gefühl, dass ich mit ein wenig Geduld (und noch mehr Kondition) eine werden könnte...
A nicely equipped bike! Nice low gearing and, being a hard tail, none of the energy loss associated with a suspension in the driveline. I suspect that this bike will get more use than the old one...
ReplyDeleteRichard, I am in fact looking forward to test the bike under snowy conditions. The Townie has been and will continue to get used regularly on less exciting treks such as commuting to work or grocery shopping.
DeleteReally nice bike. You are now riding in areas similar to what I enjoyed. Guaranteed fitness on these babies! A lot of riders here ride all year round and some use those super fat arctic tires on snow as well as dry pavement. I don't think I would use them in anything other than deep snow. Enjoy your new riding trails!
ReplyDeleteMartha, I was flirting with the fat tire bike, but it is pretty useless during other seasons except you have a beach, which we haven't, hence the mountain bike will have to to do in wintry conditions.
DeleteNettes Bike. Aber was sich heute alles Hardtail schimpft...vor 20 Jahren war mein Mountainbike (kein Billiges) noch aus Stahl, ohne jedwede Dämpfung und hatte nur 21 Gänge...
ReplyDeleteAber tolle Sache das, freut mich, daß Du auch ohne Motor happy wirst...:-)
Vor 20 Jahren hatte ich auch so eins und habe es gehasst. Bin dann bis zum letzten Jahr nie wieder Fahrrad gefahren. Heute ist so viel Standard bei Einsteiger-Rädern, was früher nur teuer aufzurüsten war...
DeleteGreat looking bike Sonja. Good thinking on the lady-saddle too. I did the same with mine, stock saddle was too hard and skinny.
ReplyDeleteThis bike will be so much easier to ride in the hills than your Townie. You and Roland will be racing to see who gets there first.
The saddle really made the difference. No pain whatsoever later on. I can't wait to get out again, and play some more with my new two-wheeled companion.
DeleteMerida - Die Legende der Highlands" Das passt zu dir :-)
ReplyDeleteIst es nicht absolut genialo, wenn man ein Fahrrad hat, dass irgendwie schnell ist, wo man sich sportlich vorkommt, dass einfach nur abgeht!? Also ich finde schon. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum neuen Fahrrad.
Danke, Funny. Ich wollte auch nie eine Prinzessin sein... ;-)
DeleteIch finde es äußerst motivierend, dass mein neues Fahrrad so ein Flitzer ist. Mit dem Beachcruiser geht es doch eher (schon fast zu) gemütlich zu und jeder Hügel wird gleich zur Herausforderung.
Another bike? This fitness regime of yours is expanding the number of two-wheeled conveyances in the stable, though I still prefer them with engines.
ReplyDeleteI never owned two bikes at a time until recently when someone came up with a wonderful suggestion. Truth be told, about five years ago I ended up with my Dad's very fancy road bike which hangs from the ceiling of my garage along with my equally fancy touring bike. It's time to get new rubber on those bikes and get some exercise for a change.
ReplyDeleteSonja, you and Roland have quite a nice stable. Doug will soon be getting jealous.
Kinners, ihr werdet mir unheimlich... :)
ReplyDeleteKlasse! Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum neuen Familienmitglied! Viele tolle Kilometer damit über Stock und Stein!
Nice bike Sonja ... good choice on swapping up the seat.
ReplyDelete