It had been a while, and I felt guilty to had it sit there in the dark for so long. But there was so much other stuff going on. I half expected that Rover, my 2008 Sportster would be miffed, but all the bike asked for was gas, and then it was good to go.
Es ist schon wieder eine Weile her, dass ich das letzte Mal mit meiner Harley unterwegs war und ich hatte ein schlechtes Gewissen deswegen. Halb erwartete ich, dass meine 2008 Sportster eingeschnappt sein würde, dass ich sie so lange habe im Dunkeln sitzen lassen, aber alles was die Maschine wollte, war Benzin, dann konnte es los gehen.
It was windy and cold, temperatures had plummeted from last week's mid twenties to a mere 9°C. I was on my way to the ferry crossing the Rhine into France when an oncoming rider signalled me with a cut throat gesture, that the service was out of order due to flooding. Bummer!
Es war kalt und windig. Während es in der letzten Woche noch über 20°C waren, wurden es heute nur 9°C. Ich machte mich auf den Weg zur Fähre, die mich über den Rhein nach Frankreich bringen sollte, als mir ein entgegenkommender Motorradfahrer mit "Halsabschneider"-Geste signalisierte, dass der Service wegen Hochwasser eingestellt war. Schade.
I stopped to re-program my Tom-Tom, and turned south towards Kaiserstuhl (the emperor's chair), a range of volcanic hills which got heavily landscaped over the last centuries into vineyards. The area is considered the warmest region of Germany, and makes for the perfect orchard.
Ich hielt an, um meinen Tom-Tom neu zu programmieren und fuhr dann gen Süden Richtung Kaiserstuhl, einem vulkanischen Mittelgebirge, welches über die vergangenen Jahrhunderte zu einem riesigen Weinanbaugebiet transformiert wurde. Diese Region gehört zu den wärmsten Gegenden Deutschlands und ist daher prädestiniert für Wein- und Obstanbau.
Man, look at these roads, they twist and turn through this terraced scenery, and thanks to this day being a high Christian holiday (Whitsunday) traffic was almost non existent since people were otherwise engaged. Blissfully I swept through the valley and up the hills again. The perfect motorcycle playground. I love holidays.
Hach, schaut Euch diese Straßen an, wie sie sich durch diese terrassenförmige Landschaft winden. Tja, und da Pfingstsonntag war, und die meisten Leute mit anderen Dingen beschäftigt waren, hatte ich diese Strecke fast ganz für mich allein. Der perfekte Mopped-Spielplatz. Ich liebe Feiertage!
The historic museum of Breisach which holds exhibits from the stone age, the Celts, the Romans and beyond marked my turnaround spot. I got home with the idiot light for gas flashing again, meaning that I must have been riding roughly 170kms today. Good times!
In Breisach befindet sich das Museum für Stadtgeschichte, in welchem Ausstellungsstücke aus der Steinzeit sowie von den Kelten und Römern zu besichtigen sind. Hier drehte ich um und machte mich schließlich wieder auf den Heimweg. Zuhause angekommen signalisierte mir das Warnlicht, dass der Tank schon wieder fast leer war. Also musste ich heute so um die 170km unterwegs gewesen sein. Schön war's!

Wow, what a playground! Glad you had fun.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ally. It was fun indeed.
DeleteMore beautiful photos and the roads look pretty fabulous as well! Weren't you thinking of a larger tank at one time or is that not permitted by the regs?
ReplyDeleteRichard, I have thought about having a bigger tank installed many times. It is possible but I always think it spoils the slim looks of the Sporty. And there are gas stations galore. Normally you don't have to worry about running out of gas in this neck of the woods.
DeleteNice picturesque rip! Sonja I love Rover he is so classy looking. We have the May long weekend coming up and I will be happily teaching new novice students the entire weekend. Its cooled off here too, feels like typical spring temps tonight windy and cold.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dar, I will forward your compliments to Rover ;-) I am sure your novices will be better riders by the end of the May long weekend, thanks to you.
Deleteps How do you like your TomTom?
ReplyDeleteDar, TomTom is an expensive device, however it serves excellently in the maze that is Europe's traffic system. I especially like the twisty roads option. It can even make your immediate surroundings more interesting, especially when you forget to switch foo the gravel road function. I use it often, and it pays off. Well worth the investment. The only downside is that you can't properly see the display when the sun is coming from behind.
DeleteThese motorcycles... They give and give, and they ask for so little in return.
ReplyDeleteI've got nothin' against bicycles, but it's nice to once again see photos of your Rover on the road, Sonja.
I agree, Ry. I wish I had more time to spend with all of my two wheeled means of transportation...
DeleteSchade, dass die Fähre außer Betrieb war, aber du hast ja eine gute Alternatve gefunden.
ReplyDeleteIch habe ständig ein schlechtes Gewissen, wenn ich in die Garage gehe um Travis oder Sarah-Louise raus zu holen und Nancy steht da so rum und darf nicht an die Luft.
Dann weißt Du ja, wovon ich spreche, liebe Irina. Ich war eigentlich hoch motiviert, wieder auf's Fahrrad zu steigen, aber ich dachte, nein, jetzt ist mal die Sporty dran. Das Mopped ist dieses Jahr bisher weniger Kilometer bewegt worden, als mein Mountain Bike...
DeleteI bet the seat on Rover seems huge and comfy after that bicycle seat for so many miles. Glad you got to twist the throttle.
ReplyDeleteYou bet it was, Brandy ;-)
DeleteGreat to see you out on the 883 Sonja and thanks for all the gorgeous photos. Wonderful to see other countries. Jennie is flying to Europe in September but I'll be cat and house minding as the trip is principally a talkfest with her sister. Enjoy your Spring riding!
ReplyDeleteGeoff, it's good to be out on the Sporty again, the bike has been neglected too long due to my newest addiction. Let me know next time around you'll be in Europe, maybe we can arrange to meet (it worked with David in Tuscany before...) ;-)
DeleteI really liked the geometric lines of #4 and #5
ReplyDeleteIt was quite a feast for the eyes as well as for the ride.
DeleteSie können aber auch Diven sein, diese Dinger. Wenn ich eine Woche nicht mit meiner Tengai unterwegs war, lässt Sie sich beim starten immer etwas bitten. Aber letztendlich hat sie immer eingelenkt und ist angesprungen...
ReplyDeleteWie lange stand denn die kleine Harley? Ohne Batterieladung einfach angesprungen?
Die "Kleine" ist vor einiger Zeit gar nicht mehr angesprungen, nachdem sie drei Monate ohne Ladegerät im Dunkeln verbracht hatte. Inzwischen habe ich dem Bike aber doch eine neue Batterie gegönnt. Die alte war einfach zu ausgelutscht. Wenigstens ist die jetzige Garage einigermaßen trocken. Bei Feuchtigkeit zickt die Elektrik schon mal ein wenig.
DeleteWOW! Dein Panorama vom Kaiserberg ist ja der Knüller. Musste es gleich 3mal ansehen.
ReplyDeleteAuf den ersten Blick könnten es auch Reisebenen sein.
Nicht wahr, Tom? Mehr dimensionales Reisen ;-) Freut mich, dass es Dir gefällt.
DeleteNice posts...I don't drop by often, but I'm well-rewarded when I do. I love that part of Germany (well, among many, but I've spent a bit more time there by car and on bicycle), so it's nice to visit vicariously. It's a rare treat to visit Germany, read about riding and practice my German all in one!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by, Fledermaus. Glad I could offer you the all in one package ;-) Please visit again soon.
DeleteDas muss ich immer wieder sagen. Es ist eine sagenhaft begnadete Landschaft, in der Ihr da wohnt. Den Kaiserstuhl kannte ich bislang nur vom auf der Autobahn dran vorbeifahren. Ich sehe es ein, ich werde da auch mal hinfahren müssen...
ReplyDeleteEs ist auf eine besondere Art wunderschön dort, Minya. Hier gibt es keine Wildnis, nur kultivierte Landschaft, alles scheint eine Riesengartenanlage zu sein. Ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du hier mal vorbei schaust.
DeleteBeautiful scenery as always. Nice to see you on Rover again. How fortunate that your holidays keep people off the road - it seems to be quite the reverse here. Holidays are the best days for riders to stay put.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Karen. Christians are serious with their holidays, hence the church going etcetera. Very fortunate for people that are "religious freelancers" ;-)
ReplyDelete