Moin! (Good Morning!) The greeting works for all times of the day, and all situations of life.
Moin! Said with emphasis means: So nice to see you, I wish you a wonderful day.
Moinmoin. Is for the chatty kind.
Another example of an elaborate conversation:
Hm. With a nod it is meant as an agreement, but it could also have a pensive meaning: I don't quite believe what you're saying...
Hm? Whats going on? Really? I can't believe what's happening! Or something along the line...
![]() |
| Source |
And of course Eastern Friesian fashion consists of oilskin and rubber boots all the time. The waterproof yellow garment is being called Eastern Friesian mink after the mustelids, which are farmed locally and skinned at a young age in order to produce the flattering attire. That's a fact.
When the sun is out one gets to wear blue and white striped shirts and red scarfs, and don't forget to match it with white pants... and then we go for a ritual walk in the mud, it's true.
Eastern Friesians are very business minded. For example, they rent out apartments to city slickers promoting an ocean view, and all they get is a tidal flat vista, which is basically a mud field, the water is almost never to be seen.
Oh well, what can I say, it's simply the greatest region of Germany, and the natives are very smart. I'm part Eastern Friesian, and proud of it.
| Little me and my brother dressed in Friesian Mink on a boat (of course) |
And there is more to learn about the northern breed on YouTube:
Die deutschsprachigen LeserInnen werden ja so ziemlich alles über "den Ostfriesen" kennen, schließlich haben wir ja dafür unseren ostfriesischen Botschafter Otto geschickt, aber damit sich auch der Rest der (deutschen) Welt ein Bild von dieser besonderen Gattung Mensch machen kann, schreibe ich diesmal nur in Englisch...

Quite the education we're getting on regional cultures in Germany....thank you. It's all interesting stuff to me. When I was a young officer in Bavaria, stationed in Nurnberg, I failed to take advantage of the travel opportunities. Something I regret. Then again, different times back then....it was still two Germanies.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome, Dom. It's been fun. Your more recent travels to Germany certainly have made up for the missed opportunities earlier. Germany was different bevor the unification, but those Eastern Friesians... they have always been exactly like I described them.
DeleteNice video, I like it, gives me the impression the East Friesans don't take themselves too seriously. Moin!
ReplyDeleteWhat gives you the impression, Dom? It's all meant totally serious. Believe me.
DeleteI believe you SonjaM....truly. ;)
DeleteOf course you do ;-)
DeleteFunny. I love stereotypes; it's a good-natured way to poke fun at ourselves and our fellow world travellers. And there's always some nugget of truth to them.
ReplyDeleteMe too, David. When you have nothing else funny going on, the best you can do is making fun of yourself.
DeleteDas hast Du sehr treffend beschrieben! :)
ReplyDeleteSie liegen mir eben am Herzen, diese Friesen ;-)
Deleteich finde die Ostfriesennerze toll, irgendwann kauf ich mir auch noch einen. In Vancouver haette er sicher gute Dienste geleistet *lach*.
ReplyDeleteStimmt, in Vancouver wäre es das perfekte Kleidungsstück.
Delete