Pages

November 07, 2018

A Walkabout in the Palatinate Forest - Eine Auszeit im Pfälzer Wald


Ahead of me lies a five-day solo trip in the German state (Bundesland) of Rhineland-Palatinate. The Palatinate Forest Trail starts at the French border and ends in Kaiserslautern (or vice versa). The trail itself is about 143 km (90 mls) long with moderate elevation gain and loss (aprox. 3,200 m or 10,000 ft), which is about half of the Black Forest trail Westweg. It consist of nine sections, however I have only five days at my disposal, so I will have to double up the mileage in order to get through.

Vor mir liegt eine Fünf-Tage-Wanderung in der Pfalz auf dem Pfälzer Waldpfad, den ich an der französischen Grenze beginnen und in Kaiserslautern beenden werde. Auf der Webseite wird der umgekehrte Weg beschrieben, aber aus logistischen Gründen macht es für mich mehr Sinn, von Süd nach Nord zu laufen. Der Wanderweg ist etwa 143km lang und mit etwa 3.200 Höhenmetern etwa die Hälfte des Westwegs. Es wird empfohlen, die Wanderung in 9 Etappen vorzunehmen, aber da ich nur fünf Tage Zeit habe, muss ich mir hierzu etwas einfallen lassen.

Northbound - Nordwärts Nov. 1st to 5th, 2018

This is my first attempt at a thru-hike, meaning I will be hiking 20 to 30 km every day, five days in a row. As I plan to spend the night under a roof, I won't be carrying tent, sleeping bag or even a cooking stove with me. My backpacking base weight including water and snacks is a mere 4,5 kg.

Das wird mein erster Versuch einer Weit(er)wanderung, ich werde etwa 20 bis 30 km pro Tag laufen, und das fünf Tage am Stück. Da ich in Pensionen übernachten will, werde ich diesmal auf Zelt, Schlafsack und Kochgeschirr verzichten und damit das Basisgewicht meines Rucksacks auf lockere 4,5 kg reduzieren.


 My dear husband gives me a lift to the trail head at St. Germanshof, located at the French border where we get to stay in the inn going by the same name. The accommodation is fairly overpriced given the comfort level but dinner and breakfast are quite alright as the kitchen is catering to people with food intolerance.

Mein weltbester Ehegatte setzt mich in St. Germanshof ab, welcher direkt an der Grenze zu Frankreich liegt. Der gleichnamige Gasthof, in dem wir die Nacht verbringen, ist im Vergleich zu anderen Unterkünften ziemlich überteuert, was die Räumlichkeiten angeht, aber dafür kennt sich die Küche mit Lebensmittelunverträglichkeiten aus. 


We part ways next morning at 9 am, and then I walk off into my next micro adventure.
Am nächsten Morgen mache ich mich dann gegen 9 Uhr auf in mein nächstes Mikro-Abenteuer.


From St. Germanshof to Busenberg the way markers are perfect. I don't need any navigational support at all. At the rock formation and castle ruin Drachenfels it starts raining. The limestone is quickly becoming slippery, and the fallen leaves aren't helping either. I skip a closer visit and continue with my trek.

Von St. Germanshof geht es Richtung Busenberg. Die Wegmarkierungen sind vorbildlich. Ich will einen Schlenker am Drachenfels vorbei machen, als es anfängt zu regnen. Der Sandsteinboden wird sofort glitschig, das nasse Laub macht die Sache auch nicht besser, also verzichte ich auf den Besuch der in den Fels gebauten Burg.


15 km into the trail I arrive at the town Busenberg where I happily stop by the bakery Busch & Raab. It's warm and dry, and I treat myself to a coffee and cake while waiting for the rain to stop.

In Busenberg erreiche ich nach knapp 15 km die Bäckerei Busch & Raab, dort ist es warm und trocken, und es gibt Kaffee und Kuchen!


In the meantime the clouds have given way to sunshine, and I need to get some more mileage under my boots. Every so often I come by specular rock formations but alas, I haven't got enough time to explore. Days are getting shorter, especially with the recent switch to wintertime. I'm burning daylight here.

Nach der kleinen Pause reist doch glatt der Himmel auf und die Sonne kommt 'raus. Die nächsten Kilometer fließen dahin. Immer wieder führt der Pfad an spektakulären Felsformationen vorbei. Ich verweile nur kurz, denn mein Tagesziel Dahn ist immer noch zwei Stunden entfernt und das Tageslicht ist mit der Umstellung auf die Winterzeit ein knappes Gut geworden.

 
 

Whenever the forest gives way I spot castle ruins. The region is also famous for the many limestone formations sculptured by nature. Colours are plentiful and the area is beautiful, especially this time of the year.

Oft kann man in der Ferne Burgruinen entdecken, viele davon stehen auf Felsspitzen. Das Dahner Felsenland ist einfach wunderschön, besonders jetzt, wo die Sonne über den herbstlichen Wald scheint.

Castle Alt Dahn

The light begins to fade while I pass by the castle ruin of Alt-Dahn. I am leaving the forest behind but I still have to get across town.

An der Ruine Alt-Dahn vorbei geht es hinunter in die Stadt Dahn. Die Sonne verschwindet hinter dem Horizont, es dämmert. Ich habe den Wald inzwischen verlassen, doch muss noch quer durch die Stadt.

 

The rock formation Hochstein with an old cemetery (honour graves).
Das Felsmassiv Hochstein mit Ehrenfriedhof 


Elwetritsche - These birdlike mythical creatures come out after dark.
Elwetritsche - Diese mythischen vogelähnlichen Fabelwesen kommen 'raus, wenn es dunkel wird.


Finally I arrive at the Hotel Eyberg in the city of Dahn where a nice warm and clean room and a hot shower awaits.

Schließlich erreiche ich mein Tagesziel: Hotel Eyberg in Dahn, wo ein schickes, warmes und sauberes Zimmer und eine heiße Dusche auf mich warten. 

 

8 comments:

  1. Great pics as usual SonjaM. 90 miles in five days....woof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are people doing the Pacific Crest Trail 30 to 40 miles per day, so it didn't seem like a big deal, Dom. My feet were killing me at times, though.

      Delete
  2. Du bist wieder unterwegs, wie schön! Eine mir ganz unbekannte Gegend. Ich komme gerne mit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first thought was 90 miles, 5 days. It’s a good thing you don’t need to carry camping gear. Do you need to reserve all of the stays along the way or get a trail permit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my knowledge we don't have areas in Germany where you require trail permits even if the trail is leading through a nature reserve. This time of the year reservations are not really necessary, but it was a long weekend with a holiday included so yes, I booked the rooms ahead.

      Delete
  4. wow, da hast dU Dir ordentlich was vorgenommen. tolle fotos, besonders cool fand ich ja die fabelwesen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, die Wesen waren mir bis dato völlig unbekannt.

      Delete