Pages

April 01, 2011

The King

When in Memphis, I did what everybody does. Visit Graceland. Instead of paying the parking fee, the rental was tactically parked in front of the close by Harley Davidson Store.
They had some nice bling going, but also a lot of Elvis related kitsch, only HD branded.
The Front end of the King's home. Pretty humble, considering the big bucks he was making.
There is no accounting for taste. The living room.
 The center of disturbed taste: the so called Jungle Room.
Walls full of golden records, cabinets full of weird clothing, and buckets full of jewelery,
yet the house looks quite normal.
It is obvious where the money has been spent on: cars, bikes and planes...
Elvis. Certainly one of the most popular pop icons of the 20th century, and here at Graceland they are doing their best to keep the legacy of the King alive. Fans are still lining up to visit is home and grave and many are coming for repeat visits. It was a nice experience, so when in Memphis, follow the crowd and do as every tourist does.

3 comments:

  1. I've never been to Graceland... now after reading your post, I don't need to. LOL!

    I'm reading this after I read your post of Branson. You were even closer to Alabama then I thought! :D

    Did you enjoy the south while you were here? I hope everyone treated you nicely. Thanks for sharing... I love it when we can tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lady Ridesalot: I enjoyed the south very much although I missed fresh veggies on the menu at times. People were sweet and I love the way they talk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Graceland, but it wasn't anything like what I was expecting. Somehow I think my mother would love it. :)
    -Lori

    ReplyDelete