From Rochdale to Ocho Rios
From Ocho Rios to Dorking
From Dorking its back to Rochdale
From Rochdale to Ocho Rios
You spend half your life in transit
But that's just the way God plans it
Pack a shirt and some fresh pajamas
That's all you need
Asleep in a stream of sunlight
Awake in a dream at midnight
I'm rushing to wait for jumbo
Oh where am I now
In my profession I really get to see exotic places. My itinerary of the last four days looked like this:
Sunday: From Vancouver, BC via Chicago, IL to Buffalo, NY
I spent one hour in US immigration for no apparent reason. Nothing to worry about because the plane was delayed anyway. During transfer the carrier lost my luggage, I filed a claim and was finally in bed by midnight. My business meeting needed re-scheduling due to early morning shopping for bare necessities which got sponsored by my company and United Airlines.
Bonjour, tristesse! Greeted by gray skies, I ended up in the Eastern Hills Shopping Mall, probably built in the 70's and already ugly looking in its prime time, it looks like one more business center struggling for survival, or so it seems. At the GAP and BON-TONS I managed to acquire some half decent business attire.
Not sure, what purpose this monument is supposed to serve, but I like it.
The Garden Place Hotel, where I stayed claimed to be 'One of the best hotels in the world'. The rooms were quite o.k., but hello? How would a kitsch hotel in the town of Williamsville be perceived as such? Maybe somebody had a sense of irony when putting up that slogan...
Monday: From Buffalo, NY via Detroit, MI to Kalamazoo, MI
On my Blackberry I was informed that my flight was canceled, and I had been scheduled for a later flight. So, I had some mediocre dinner sponsored by Delta. My travel day ended at 1AM.
Yes, Kalamazoo does exist. I couldn't believe it either. A clean little University town (Western Michigan) with lots of heritage fabrication or warehouse buildings which are or have been undergoing a transition into apartments and lofts. The origin of the name is obviously native Indian, from the Potawatomi, meaning 'boiling water'.
A personal highlight was certainly the beer sampling at the Bell's micro brewery.
Tuesday: From Kalamazoo, MI to Chicago, IL
I arrived at the Kalamazoo "Int'l" Airport only to find the whole place deserted, very much like in Stephen King's Langoliers, the movie I had seen the night before. The flight got canceled, too. I hired a limousine plus driver (sponsored by American Airlines) and could add another state to my list, while grazing Indiana on I-94 on my way to Chicago.
My last view before falling asleep.
My last meeting was at the outskirts of Chicago, close to the airport. Nothing interesting struck my eye, hence no pictures.
Wednesday: From Chicago, IL to Vancouver, BC: Arriving on time, with luggage finally in my possession, and hubby waiting outside: Home, sweet home.
Conclusion: Road trips are way more fun!
US states visited: New York, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois
Sorry for being slow with responding to your comments. Please don't let that discourage you and keep 'em coming. It's just that business trips are time robbing.
Welcome back Sonja!
ReplyDeleteAny sign of a Down Under trip in the foreseeable future? You've missed the best of the weather now!
@Geoff: I wish but they keep sending me to other places... Now it will soon be winter in Kiwi-Land, and later the year there is the Rugby world cup. This friggin' video conferencing equipment took the fun out of all overseas travel.
ReplyDeleteSounds like quite a trip! I know you're glad you're back home. I definitely prefer traveling on the ground and preferably on two wheels!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog. By the way, I noticed in your profile you were interested in cooking. So am I! I have a cooking blog http://cookingwithkick.blogspot.com I thought you might be interested in checking out.
So, after all these delays, travails, lost luggage, etc....you sure the company won't let you ride the motorcycle to these appointments, and let you expense more storage space for the "business attire" you change into upon arrival?
ReplyDeleteJust saying...
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
You will let us know if you transit through Denver right?
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
That monument looks pretty cool. It may be a tribute to the ironworkers assembling the steel skeleton of a building?
ReplyDeleteI've always managed to avoid the multiple stop trips except for visits to family in Oregon. I don't know how people manage to do it.
Thank you for the tour!
@Chris Beason: Hello and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I will certainly check out your cooking blog as well.
ReplyDelete@Charlie6: You would think that your boss would understand that motorcycle travel should be acceptable for client and supplier visits, wouldn't you? If Denver shows up on my itinerary I will make sure I have a stop over!!!
@RichardM: Good point. Multiple stop trips suck, this is why I usually drive one way. But I had to meet some Kiwis and needed to synchronize my travel schedule with theirs...
Whew! I got tired just reading about your trip! I hope your luggage eventually caught up with you.
ReplyDeleteSonja, I was there at that hotel last year during my Niagara Falls trip, the place is amazing inside :-) Small world, check it out here:
ReplyDeletehttp://goo.gl/73rIp
@Ken: I am still tired, just thinking of it, but at least I got my luggage back.
ReplyDelete@George F: You gotta be kidding me. Small world indeed. I was too preoccupied to take photos from the inside ;-)
Interesting, Kalamazoo means boiling water. My dad was part Native American - Potawatomi. Something like 1/16. I always thought Potawatomi was quite a mouthful.
ReplyDeleteAs for the photo, Kalamazoo looks rather stark and cold, very much industrial. The warehouse would make an interesting place of residence.
There it is again, another Stephen King reference. It just gets stranger and stranger. The Langoliers were on just the other night too.
Looks like this was posted a few days ago, so I hope you're back home again and rested from your trip!
I very much enjoyed reading the Langoliers. :) But I really enjoyed your opening poem. I have to laugh that your luggage was returned on your return flight. But at least it did catch up.
ReplyDelete-Lori