Pages

April 01, 2011

Random road memories

There is no shortage of beautiful cars. Some are in good shape, some are rusting away in junkyards.
It is always nice to see vintage cars on the road (even more so when they are yellow).
The 70's interior of the Top's Bar-B-Q diner hurts the eye.
Why am I not surprised: pick-up trucks in front of a gun store.
Nobody there? Guns scare me. Why? I might make use of them if I had one. So, weapons are better not for me.
A pretty but abandoned school. So many empty buildings, empty roads and ghost towns. The Midwest appears abandoned.
The open road. I probably could have taken the interstate, but I like these byways better.
Enjoying the sun set at Lake Norfolk.
Leaving the flat lands of Tennessee behind, and entering the rolling hills of the Ozarks.
As it seems a perfect area for motorcycling, but I haven't seen one bike. One day I'd like to return and ride the hills. Of course the Ozarks are not only a fantastic area for the outdoors, with lots of parks, rivers, lakes and hot springs, caves and waterfalls. Known as the highlands of Central America it is also of special geological interest (for me that is...)
This sign reminds me oddly of some Stephen King novel. And the shop looked a bit eerie, too.

But the most eeriest things I discovered in Branson, Missouri. It started really harmless with this wonderful 50's Diner, were I had my lunch.
And half a block away there suddenly was a stranded Titanic plus the iceberg.
Another shock while driving down the street: King Kong and Hollywood icons carved in a concrete wall!
It was a memorable road-trip, and bonus: all paid for by the company, which makes the overtime that comes with traveling (and subsequent late night online sessions) bearable.

9 comments:

  1. so that's where the Titanic really ended up....you could submit some of those shots to roadsideattractions.com Sonja!

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating pictures, not keen on guns either. SOunds like awesome little trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it sounds like you weren't very far away from me. South, but not far. Memphis. The Ozarks. Branson. All familiar. I hope you waved toward St. Louis on your travels. We've had some wind, perhaps that was you waving.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Charlie6: Dom, isn't that curious?
    @Raftnn: Thank you, Roger. It was good, considering it was work...
    @Circle Blue: Keith, if had come across St. Louis I would have said hi, but so the waving had to do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing as Circle Blue. What's a German Canadian doing in Branson... she's practically in Alabama. Well, maybe just a few more miles. LOL!

    Loved your pics of the roadside attractions. Your lunch looked very good too, BTW! Even though you probably had to close your eyes to eat!

    Thanks for taking us along... I'm always up for a nice sight seeing ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lady Ridesalot: If I weren't running out of time I would have stepped a foot into Alabama as well. I hope to return one day on non-business related travel where you're always on a schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have a yellow vintage car in a shot for you soon... :) Was Nella jealous?

    I find it eerie that the first item on the Needfull Things sign was "Knives".

    Thanks for the sharing the pictures. I've heard about Branson. Now I'll need to figure out if I should go. LOL.

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen King keeps popping up in the little corner of the blogosphere that I frequent. That in itself is a little weird! Even though we only get a glimpse of the store...it does give off a creepy vibe. :)

    A friend of mine who bicycle tours the US has mentioned all the ghost towns, & closed businesses he rides through. Very sad, but there's no work, no livelihood, and people move on. The school doesn't look all that bad, perhaps only recently vacated?

    Great photo series, Sonja! Good choice taking the backroads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I notice several photos of yellow vehicles. A little touch of homesickness for the bike?

    Liked the Fat Tire sign. Good beer. Hope the locals don't drink it before they hit the gun shop. :)

    ReplyDelete