We started off at 8AM to meet bobskoot and friends at Bon's off Broadway for a hearty breakfast before heading out on our scooters to Sea to Sky Highway with destination Bowen Island.
For the first time on the Vespa's we braved the rushed traffic on the motorway. Speed limit was 90 km/h, but we were probably the only ones actually pacing at speed limit, since Hubby's Bella is not yet fully broken in.
Another first was the Ferry ride, and for once in this four-wheeled world two-wheelers were given privileged treatment: first vehicles to board the boat, and first to ride when disembarking.
The 15 minute ferry ride seemed too short for my taste, as I love crossing the water. After landing in Snug Cove (cute name) we explored all the small, often one-lane roads the island had to offer.
Speed limit is 40 km/h or less, and the island becomes a perfect playground for the scooters, even on unpaved roads.
At the end of our path we were rewarded with breath taking views over Howe Sound. Here we stopped at Hood Point West.
When it was time for a break we followed the recommendation of a local and had taco's at Nancy's Taco place with - once again privileged - parking for motorcycles on the boardwalk.
We enjoyed our food and Mexican lemonade relaxing in the sun, while waiting for the ferry.
Other than fighting the afternoon cross winds (especially on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge spanning the Burrard Inlet), the ride back home was uneventful.
Day trip time including food intake, ferry rides and breaks: eight hours. Distance covered: 150km. The scooters passed the test, Vespa's are indeed made for travel.

Looks like a great day of riding. Is 80 miles really a long way for scooters?
ReplyDeletedom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
You've got a knack for finding scenery.
ReplyDeleteBrady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life
http://www.behindbarsmotorcycle.com/
@Charlie6: Dom, it is not so much the distance, as the time in the saddle that counts. We had spent five hours riding on secondary roads and on some times unpaved forest and country roads. I would say a reasonable travel distance on a multi-day-scooter-trip on paved byways could be 300 to 400 km a day.
ReplyDelete@Brady: Thanks Brady, we boldly go where no scooter has gone before, just for another amazing view.
I just love when the sun comes out to play, all the scooters are on the road and taking their riders on little journeys. I have to get busy & get my class 6 so I can step up the scooter power.
ReplyDeleteLove the pictures you took. We had a beach day today and it was fabulous. Victoria is definitely a scootering town.
Hubby on the Highway? Congratulations! I had my first-time experience of that kind last week. Well, it's not my favorite, believe me. You guys had good weather. :-) I'm jealous - sitting in Northern California and having lots of rain over the weekend. Take care!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had beautiful weather. Wonderful colors in your photos of the scooters. Your photos make me miss the ocean.
ReplyDeleteRichard
@Dar: Hey, just do it. A few cc's more will open up a whole new world of opportunities.
ReplyDelete@Andrea: Ha, for a change we have nicer weather than in California... isn't the weather going crazy on us this year?
@RichardM: The Ocean is just one more reason I came the long way from the prairies. When the sun comes out BC is just the best place on Earth.
I haven't heard of Bowen Island. It really does look like a perfect spot for scooters. I love the shot under the canopy of trees, but beautiful scenery altogether.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures Sonja, looks like you had a fabulous day.
ReplyDeleteI love your pictures on Bowen Island!! Such a great place, and great travels. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete-Lori