Pages

July 10, 2011

Time to say Goodbye

I am guilty of infidelity, and I blame it partially on the Italians. My riding statistics show 2,200 Vespa km (in 10 weeks) vs. 1,800 Beemer km (over 6 months), and as a bonus an abundance of quality time spent together with my better half.

With many ideas buzzing in my head, among others the investment in a new(er) bike, but also traveling abroad (for fun!), I felt that the time had come to say good-bye to my trusty steed.

I was determined to give Nella in good hands. This is when Deb, a young lady from Tasmania currently residing in Canada came along. She is planning a trip down the Pan-Americana, and was in the market for a reasonably priced, well equipped, and maintained bike that can do the job.
 Deb checking out Nella.
It was love at first sight, and Nella's fate was sealed.
It is always hard to see a bike go. Nella has been a sweet little re-entry two-wheeler, well balanced, easy to handle, fuel efficient, and already came with all the farkles needed for serious travel. It served me well during the past 8,000km, and didn't lose much of its value during the 14 months in my possession. The only limitations I had found were the vibrations coming with the single cylinder as well as the lack of power when fully loaded. Other than that, Nella was the perfect bike for me at that time. Good bye, Nella. Farewell miladies and happy trails.

15 comments:

  1. Farewell little Nella. It looks like she is in good hands.

    As they say - 'when one door closes another opens' and you still have your trusty Vespa for your adventures. Extra time with hubby is always a bonus.

    Will be waiting to see what the future brings you in the two-wheeled world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ui, na dann...

    Kein großes Moped mehr?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. It didn't seem that long ago that I was reading about your excitement at buying Nella and now she is gone. It is good to see she is in good hands. I wonder what you will get next....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Trobairitz: As we have a one motorcycle policy in our household (scooters don't count) one has to go before the next arrive.
    @Biki: Dieser Zustand wird vorübergehend sein. Eine neuere BMW oder eine Triumph sind im Rennen.
    @Gary: Gary, I am waiting for late summer test rides before I want to make the call. Don't get me wrong, the F650GS is a fine bike, but I have outgrown it, and there are so many other bikes to ride...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure Deb will be very pleased with Nella. And you'll have a great time choosing a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sold Nella!?!

    I guess I saw that coming, what with you spending so much time on the scooter instead and "perusing" the Triumphs.... : )

    Sounds like she went to a good home though, it'll be better as she'll hopefully gets more exercise...not to mention quite the adventure her new owner is planning.

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonja:
    Any feelings of sorrow? Maybe more anticipating a replacement in the shape of a Bonneville or Street Triple ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Canajun: I hope to chose wisely, but with our one-bike policy it is so difficult to pick the right bike. I still try to convince hubby that two or three bikes at a time are completely normal.
    @Charlie6: I was thinking the same, better than the bike sitting in the parkade all alone. The scooters are certainly no adventure bikes but it is so much fun to be able to ride together with my partner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Geoff James: Sorrow? Well, maybe a little. But you are right, it is mixed with the anticipation of an even newer, bigger and better bike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonja, just stop by in fall and we'll convince hubby and wify together that MBS is perfectly acceptable! I could certainly have at least one more bike ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Guido: Feel free to give it a try. My one-woman show at work should get assistance by September, and chances are that Roland will also get time off, so be mentally prepared for the moment we might show up at your door step (confiscate your bikes and take off into the sunset... he he.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always sad to see a bike go..........but hey what is just around the corner, I am with Geoff........TRUMPHY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonja, you know you're always welcome - but you'll have to fight hard for a bike here ... ;-)

    I'm getting cabin fever here - haven't been riding for a week now, and might not until next weekend. But at least it will be a longer ride then.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aawwww. I'm glad that you are letting her go with a light heart. It sounds like she will have some continued great adventures in front of her. And you will have some great adventures in front of you! :)

    -Lori

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Raftnn: Roger, am I this obvious to you?
    @Guido: No more cabin fever for me since I have the scooter and get my daily fix ;-)
    @BeemerGirl: Lori, I wouldn't say it was easy, but it was the right thing to do. Even if I can't, Nella can go places now...

    ReplyDelete