Pages

July 25, 2011

What do Kiwi's do in Winter?

Roger down under suffers from cabin fever, another bloke (Geoff) got abducted (by the wife no less), and other Kiwis leave the country in quest of better weather, and travel to (believe it or not) Canada.
I was on my Sunday morning ride with my mind set on having a coffee at the Lookout Coffee House in Horseshoe Bay where they brew fair trade Kicking Horse Coffee, when I met this lovely couple from New Zealand. 

Marco and Ursala from Wellington are touring through North America, with one month down and five more to go (they will be back just in time for summer down under...), on their own bikes, a V-Strom and a Ninja which they brought all the way over to this continent.

To hold their budget at bay they couch-surf, which I found rather interesting as I was under the impression that this was something limited to students, and single young travelers. Their next stop will be a couch in Whistler... cool! Wishing safe continued travels... sigh! I am so jealous!
I lost track of time while chatting along, and completely forgot about the scenery. So these two snapshots will have to suffice, because I needed to get back home.
Main purpose of my little outing was to see how much mileage I would get out of Rover's peanut tank, and I was pleasantly surprised. The gas warning light started flickering around 200km, and I refueled the bike 25km later. Not bad for a Harley: close to 60 mpg.
I have to admit I like the Sportster's highway compatibility.  On the F650GS I was never comfortable at highway speed but with Rover... a pleasure. Also the louder pipes (still a whisper compared to Harley Davidson standards) seem to alert cagers. I might still get overlooked but I will no longer be overheard.

And to put Charlie6's mind at ease: Dom, I am still riding in full ATGATT plus mandatory (pink!) do-rag to comply with the pirate look.

11 comments:

  1. Hahaha - It's not quite a mass exodus Sonja, but it could well be after this weekend - have a look at this news headline: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5334310/Wintry-blast-brings-country-to-a-standstill. Coromandel hasn't been hit but it's only 9 degrees C on our deck. So much for a sub-tropical paradise! Good time to be heading somewhere warm. All I know is we're heading to Auckland in an hour, flying out somewhere tomorrow and I've been told to pack some light gear. Other than that, I know nothing. If this is Jennie's idea of a joke and we end up in Antarctica, there will be trouble :-).

    Will catch up in a couple of weeks.... be good with your new badass image ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like wanderlust to me. I can't imagine being away from home for 6 months at a time. As nice as it is to be on vacation, home just feels so right.

    Great pictures. Love the vivid colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some would wonder whether there are in fact any kiwis left in new Zealand at the moment ..... Traveling for a week across the world is simplynot an option because of the distance so we kiwis to tend to holiday for extended periods if heading anywhere near the northern hemisphere. ... I hope you are well Sonja. Cheers, Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6 months at a time sounds pretty nice. I think that I need to reserve opinion until I can test it out myself.

    The smallish tank on the Sportster was one thing that I would change. But 60 mpg is great and I must admit, I still like the distinctive exhaust sound.

    From the colors in your photos, It looks like you had a beautiful day.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Geoff James: What is wrong with the weather pattern? Snow in the land of Kiwis... I bet that Jennie will take you some place compatible with shorts and jandals.

    @Trobairitz: If somebody would ask me to hit the road for 6 months or longer... I would happily oblige. Yes, there is a place that one call home, but sometimes it is getting too familiar, and I admit it, a little boring. Wanderlust is my middle name (hence the immigration to Canada I guess...)

    kiwionabike: Nick, you must know all about it in your quest of true middle age. I can see that you thoroughly enjoy your trip.

    RichardM: I would say, give it a try and let me know how you like it. Maybe i'll follow... Changing the tank was one of the first options I considered but I can refill many times for the one grand that'll cost me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you had a nice outing on Rover today. Your photos as always are spectacular! My dream is to motorcycle across Canada and through the states. But I agree with Trobairitz home is a nice place to vacation. We are off to Tofino soon for a few days, my scoot has to stay home, :( we lucked out on a reservation, otherwise I would have been quite happy to stay home. I hope the Kiwis have a good trip and friendly roads.

    How does one couch surf? Are you asking complete strangers if you can sleep on their couch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding us of our weather!! The bikes and pics are looking great. I am very envious of the other kiwis travelling your great country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonja - I must have missed the post where you bought the Sporty. Congratulations on joining the dark side! But the pink do-rag will have to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a contractor where I work, he works six months out of the year, coasts the other six....by choice!

    I'm thinking having half the year off would not be bad....my kids can work their way through college like I did...

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dar: You live in one of the best places in the world, staycation does make sense on Vancouver Island... I believe the couch-surfer community offers mutually places to sleep, beds, rooms, sofas, whatever sleeps people.

    @Raftnn: Roger, I hear you. Bad weather sucks... everywhere.

    @Canajun: Only picked up the bike last Friday. No worries about the pink do-rag. I have an orange one, too ;-)

    @Charlie6: Dom, exactly my plan... work half a year, live the other half. One can dream...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could dig a 6 month tour. Just another round the world blog to follow and drool over.

    Looks like a great day to be out on the new bike!

    ReplyDelete