Suddenly there was the smell of fire in the air, and we were surrounded by smoke. Not a comfortable feeling I can tell you.
And here are the culprits: Firemen as fire-starters. They use the fire to clear the ground which helps the new vegetation grow.
As the smoke pollutes the air, and air quality is regularly watched, managed wildfires cannot be conducted at all times, but they are important for the health and growth of the forest.
The twisties in the area were fantastic, and would have been perfect for motorcycle riding. Maybe another time. Back down in the valley we chose the slab to cross quickly central California. There wasn't much of interest, except for the prevalent alarming water shortage. The land looked in parts like a dust bowl.
Finally we made to to the westernmost point of our journey. The Pacific Ocean.
Some lazy beach bums
The long way to the water
I could watch them all day, they are so funny.
Our day ended in Morro Bay, a small seaside town.The most interesting feature here is Morrow Rock, an almost 600ft high volcanic plug (like the Lion Rock at Piha Beach in New Zealand, or Devil's Tower in Wyoming).
We were in the mood for seafood and followed the recommendation of a local.
The Outrigger is a reasonably priced fish restaurant where we were seated at a table with an ocean view. I had some awesome clam chowder (no pic as I was too hungry), and giant shrimps with a Mexican twist: drowned in Tequila.
Yum!

Somebody mention Tequila.........
ReplyDeleteLion rock...well done.
Neat blog.
I would have loved to walk under those big galiaths. Some amazing shots of those trees especially pic #4. Love it do you have any others.
ReplyDelete@Raftnn: Thanks, Roger. First time I had Tequila in food though.
ReplyDelete@Chillertek: Unfortunately most are surrounded by smoke but I hope you like the few more I have added.
I've visited Sequoia Natl Park in the winter to go x-country skiing and I really enjoyed it much more than summer visits. They get quite a bit of snow and not many people go there (at least in the past) so you could get really good deals on cabin rentals.
ReplyDeleteI like your shots of Morro Bay and the shrimp sounds really good!
Richard
Oh, wie schön. Ich liebe Seehunde.
ReplyDeleteSonja, you certainly made full use of your time, didn't you? Well done, I love action holidays. Currently planning for our 40th anniversary next year :-)
ReplyDeleteA couple of nights ago Heather asked me if I'd ever seen the Redwoods. I have she hasn't. I suspect we need to do something about that.
ReplyDeleteThat and this craving for chowder I'm having :)
Thanks for the share.
Trees that old are so majestic. I hope you hugged at least one.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture of the sunset and rock. Simply stunning.
@RichardM: Man, you have been places, too. Sequoia NP really seemed less crowded. We loved the place.
ReplyDelete@Biki: Ich auch, sie sind so lustig anzusehen.
@Geoff: For sure did. Looking forward to your next travels. I am sure they will be spectacular.
@Circle Blue: Keith, there you go. Hope you guys will get there soon.
@Trobairitz: Brandy, you bet I have hugged one, it was difficult though, as they are so huge. Hope the tree didn't mind.