The last resort before the desert: A gas station, a general store, a pub, and please notice the establishment in the background... We refilled gas and stocked up on water supplies, after all we were about to enter one of the most dangerous places on the Earth... or so we thought.
Wait a minute... Aliens?
Prepared for the worst we entered Death Valley National Park.
It went downhill for a long while until we reached sea level.
The temperatures hit 108F.
We were amazed how quiet it was.
There wasn't even a breeze stirring up the scarce vegetation.
What a strange place.
As we continued we watched the clouds building up.
You got to be kidding me. Of all places... it rained in the desert.
Just a few drops but maybe just enough to keep plant life going.
An endless blacktop and a vast horizon. Just the way I like it.
As we moved on to this day's destination Mammoth Lakes we constantly gained elevation again, the vegetation became richer, and the temperatures were cut in half.
The scenic basin of Long Valley is a restless caldera, and as such prone to earthquakes and volcanic activities. The hobby geologist in me became excited and I proudly pointed out the rims to my hubby, explained where the lava flow went, and that there is likely geothermal activity in the area. I digress.
At Mammoth lakes they had a little Oktoberfest going, with Blasmusik (oompahpah!), German beer and bratwurst. Guess what we had for dinner...Another fantastic day came to an end. And we had the pool and the Jacuzzi at the Juniper Springs Resort all to ourselves (maybe because it was a bit nippy... but hey, aren't we Canadians?)
Life is good!

Love the clouds. Been enjoying hearing about your trip. I've been busy and not commenting as much as I would like. Never been to Death Valley, but places of silence are getting harder to find. So, I stick that piece of info in the back of my brain.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the share and thanks for the post about the "Mother Road" Rte. 66.
Death Valley is a cool place. Hot but cool at the same time. I cannot believe it rained when you were there.
ReplyDeleteRain in Death Valley, can't imagine it happens very often, you were fortunate to be there when it happened.
ReplyDeleteThere's parts of Colorado that looked very similar to what you two drove through, though the temperatures don't even come close to those experienced during your transit of Death Valley!
Nice set of pictures as usual Sonja, someday I hope to ride Death Valley, preferably during the Winter. : )
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
Cool photos but it would have been way cool if you'd got yourselves arrested near Area 51 :-)
ReplyDelete@Circle Blue: The Route 66 trip has precious memories for me. Ten years ago when I did the full length, I came also through St. Louis where I had fudge for the first time, and went up the Gateway Arch.
ReplyDelete@Gary France: We couldn't believe it either.
@Charlie6: There were a few riders, however I haven't seen one with a hack.
@Geoff: Come on, do we look that alien ;-) ?
I won't say it again, but hey, you said it already!
ReplyDeletehow authentic was the bratwurst - it appeared to have gunge on top!
@Nikos: Nothing beats a German bratwurst from a food truck in the Ruhrgebiet. It was ok but far away from authentic. And of course you need to top that sausage with ketchup and mustard...
ReplyDelete