Our mode of transport was a Chevrolet Malibu of golden colour, and we wondered if cars could get any uglier than this. We couldn't imagine that somebody your ever call this vehicle their 'dream car'. However, it was a 2011 model and so we wouldn't have to worry about it. Indeed the car didn't fail us on our journey, and was reasonably fuel efficient.
Hoover Dam, our first destination turned out to be a little disappointing, smelling of tourist trap with its parking fees. Hence we drove to the other end of the dam to park free, and got an even better view.
The water levels looked alarmingly low, and we wondered why there were no water restrictions in Las Vegas and surroundings.
At the toll booth of Lake Mead Recreational Area we purchased the annual America-the-beautiful pass which would give us easy access to all national parks and federal recreation lands everywhere in the country. For 80 bucks we found it was money well spent.
Lake Mead had an eery atmosphere, all this water, and yet no life, almost no green, and absolute silence. The area reminded us very much of the movie set of The Planet of the Apes (1968). We followed the lake shore drive and were fascinated by the contrast of turquoise waters, white sands, black mountains and red cliffs.
Highlight of the day became the drive through Zion National Park. It was a busy Saturday afternoon, and we had to skip the visit at the visitor center due to lack of parking space, but the views were spectacular.
A few turns later we had left the crowds behind and were on our own.
We were marveling at the colour contrast. A feast for the eyes. We thought it couldn't get better than this...
Our stop over for the night was the famous (but internet-less) Parry Lodge in Kanab, a hotel, formerly used as base camp for wild west movies featuring stars like John Wayne, Clint Eastwood and many more.
In Calvin T's Saloon we succumbed to excellent rustic food such as pulled pork and ribs with beer before we called it a night.
Last but not least throwing in some motorcycle content: We have seen lots of helmet-less ridden Harleys, a few Beemers equipped for world travel with riders geared up to the max, a handful crotch rocket riders frustrated with enforced speed limits, and one well used Triumph Bonneville.
Dare to comment...

Absolutely beautiful...in reference to Zion. I'm not going anywhere near a comment of the Harley riders.
ReplyDeleteI started going to Lake Mead when the water was at proper levels. It has been disheartening to see the levels sink lower every year. I think it has more to do with lack of rain and less water coming through the Grand Canyon.
I'm liking your trip!
Zion is supposed to be quite beautiful, thanks for the pics.
ReplyDeleteAs to the last picture, I think I would have preferred more beemer content..... : )
dom
Redleg's Rides
Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner
Looks wonderful, especially as what appears to be the complete absence of hoards of tourists!
ReplyDeleteBrings back great memories, my wife and I went to Bryce Canyon in June. We were in a rental car we picked up in Vegas. I would have preferred my Vespa.
ReplyDeleteWow. Spectacular scenery on this ride. I'd love to ride these roads. Oh and the pic of the ribs and beers looks good to!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos Sonja.
ReplyDeleteWe missed Lake Mead and Hoover Dam when we went to Vegas. Sure wish we'd rented a car and stopped by.
Looks like you had beautiful weather.
I am sorry you were disappointed in Hoover Dam. I know what you mean about catering for tourists and having to pay for parking. I did the same as you and parked in the free parking areas about the dam and walked down the hill. The best part of the dam I found was to go onto the new bridge high above the dam (it is seen in one of your pictures) and look down.
ReplyDeleteYour pictures of Zion are excellent and the food looks equally good!