Pages

November 15, 2011

A weird City... or not?

Portland: Drove into the city, parked the car and forgot about it. Everything can be done by the 4T: Trail, Tram, Trolley or Train. And it works actually quite well... weird!

One of the greenest North American cities I have ever been to. You actually see people walking, biking (the pedal thingy), commuting by public transit, or driving funny electric cars. Double plus weird.
 Portlanders are weird and proud of it.
 This zebra car is fueling up... electricity.

Another memorable attribute of Portland is: WET. Capital letters! It's raining all the time, but the only people using umbrellas are the tourists. Did I mention that Portlanders are weird? Let them prosper and multiply!

Walking along the Willamette River.
 Walking around downtown.
 Lovely fall colours everywhere,
 A sea of leaves,
 Everthing looks so...
 peaceful.
 Trees on fire.

Taking the Areal Tram (amazing public transit) to the university (OHSU)
 How much more impressive the view must be...
... on a clear day.

15 comments:

  1. Sonja:

    More stunning photos for me to be envious of! Portland may be wet, but it's so beautiful at this time of year. Incidentally, my dentist comes from Portland and he sailed single-handedly from there to NZ when he came here to live. That's commitment for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised as well that the pictures turned out quite ok despite the weather. See, Portlanders like your dentist ARE weird people. And I mean that in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most fascinating. Stuff I just didnt know. Great pics to....man you do get around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colors in your pictures even with the flat light. Portland is a pretty interesting place. Last year, I went for a walk on the 4T trail. We started downtown, went to the zoo then worked our way up to the OHSU before taking the tram and a trolley back to downtown.

    As far as weird, maybe a better term may be unconventional.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is fantastic that the good people of Portland embrace public transport. It may be weird for a US city, but coming from Europe, you will have seen that a lot back home. Not only is it good for the environment, but it also means there are less cars on the streets when I am riding my bike! Great piccy's as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of the bench is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never been to Portland, but your photos are great. Would love to visit although all the rain is not appealing. Might be nice to meet some weird (in a good way) people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Raftnn: Roger, so many places so little time. I am indeed quite the traveler (often job related though).

    @RichardM: Isn't that 4T trail awesome? 'Weird' is the term that the Portlanders chose for themselves. I would rather call them... European ;-)

    @Gary France: Indeed, Gary. Europe has all this but it is nice to see this mindset over here as well. And it does seem to work for this city.

    @Mike: Thank you. Sometimes I get lucky.

    @motoroz: Portland is definitely worth a visit should you be in that area. The rain is part of the lifestyle over here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're quite the shutterbug- the park bench with leaves is a nice shot

    remember- electric cars are really coal-burning cars

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, people in Denver are weird. They wear shorts and flip-flops year round. Or maybe that's just stupid. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @No Name: People are weird in Calgary, too when it comes to flip-flops and shorts in winter...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think they actually made bumper stickers that say "keep Portland weird". No joke.

    I am glad you like our neck of the woods. If we had of known you were coming we would have taken you out for coffee. Weird coffee though, since it is Portland.

    Love the picture of the bench and leaves. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Trobairitz: A bumper sticker? I should have known! I thought of you guys but it was a busy schedule and on very short notice. Sorry ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sonja

    Your pictures are beautiful. I love the pictures with different angles, it just makes everything more interesting. The zebra car is so cute, my daughter would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. More gorgeous images of the city! I haven't taken the tram yet, but the view is so colorful this time of year. Guess we need to make time to ride it some time. Our daughter takes the Max to her workplace downtown. Much less hassle and cost than driving her car.

    ReplyDelete