Pages

January 29, 2012

January at its greyest and grimmest

Sorry, no motorcycle content.

Can this weather get any worse? Countless hours spent in the kind of twilight that would have vampires walk at day. There was not one day of a weekend worth getting out on the bikes.


Due to my new found healthier lifestyle I most likely covered more distance on foot than on two wheels, walking an average of 5km a day, which I admit is by far not enough, but walking in the dark just has a very limited charm.

Meanwhile I have added a few carbs back into my diet only to prevent me from falling from weather depression into food depression.

Rainy weather and fun food abstinence aside, the changes have already made an impact. I lost eight pounds, feel more energized, sleep well, have less headaches and the joint pain has gone away, plus I haven't had a cold yet. It's amazing what junk food will do to your metabolism.

In quest of a view

13 comments:

  1. Eight pounds is a good start. Better than my three since 1st Jan. Keep it up. Sorry about the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too, bad about the weather. We are now having some sun. It does elevate the mood some.

    My experience of letting go of the junk food and how much different I feel is the same as yours. Also, don't minimize how positively we respond to following through on commitments to ourselves. Sounds like you're a making some great strides (pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Keep up the good work, it's tough but you will get there...as far as the weather, that is way I moved to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling like you are, I am so tired of the grey. It seems endless. The only good things that it is staying lighter out longer, eventhough it is still grey. Good for you walking 5km and glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courage, Sonja. The days are getting longer; spring will come, the grass will turn green, and we will ride again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you on the healthier lifestyle thing! With all the beauty and attractiveness of the west coast, the winters there would kill me. Give me a sunny cold, snowy day any time rather than the dreary damp of a Vancouver winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know SonjaM, all that walking, sounds way too healthy to me! :)

    dom


    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys must be getting more rain that we are. We have actually had a few sunny days and once we get over the next three of rain are supposed to have a dry end of the week and a dry weekend. Fingers crossed for two-wheeled fun next Saturday.

    Kudos on losing the 8 pounds. It takes discipline. I find portion control is the biggest factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the weight loss. I have to agree dieting in the gloomy winter is no picnic. Guess I'm fortunate, I like walking/running in the dark. I find it peaceful and relaxing, but I don't want it to go on forever. It's almost February and I'll soon be looking for my first signs of spring to come! A few more weeks and your walks should be a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this simple post is very comforting for some reason. Our WI winter has been very dreary, too, but not leaden like where you are. But the seasons are out of the chute, if not around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If it's any comfort the dull, grey weather was well worth it for those stunning - even dramatic photos. Looks like it was the perfect spot to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good work on the diet Sonja. I am failing. Got to get back on the wagon. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, guys for your encouraging comments. I found this month the most unbearable since my arrival in BC... it can only get better (I will not always be focused on diet and exercise...). Weekend weather looks promising, maybe we can go out for a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete