Pages

January 07, 2012

The Road to Health is paved with good Intentions


During the past three months I suffered from depression, fatigue, headaches, bilious attacks, joint pain and at times a foggy brain. In a few words: I was unwell. I ignored my condition, battled the symptoms, not the cause, popped some meds and blamed it on the stress at work.

Since conventional Western medicine didn't get me anywhere I did some research on my own, spoke with friends suffering from similar symptoms, and by holistic approach I came to understand that my body can no longer cope with the daily madness of my lifestyle. Hence, for the first time (ever) I made some New Year's resolutions.

1. The transformation of my eating habits into a healthy diet, starting with cutting down on carbs and sugar, and adding more greens and fruit to my meals. I started buying local produce, and I now pay better attention to the ingredients of some food stuff. I am appalled by the alien contents being put in normal food that don't belong there, and that the body can get sick from.

2. Inspired by RichardM I started walking every day after work, at night, rain or shine. The world moves under my feet, and the rounds are getting longer and faster.

3. I don't drink or smoke, my drug of choice is chocolate, which is actually the main trigger for my headaches. Choco, no mo'.

4. I don't have financial worries, so why bother with a stressful job? That's actually a tough one because I like a good challenge. However, if it doesn't work for me I will be moving on. There is a life to be lived, and roads to be discovered.

5. I will be spending less time in the virtual world, and more time in the real world with family and friends. There are already plans in the make for travels to Europe, and I am very much looking forward to it.

I am practicing this 'new lifestyle' for a week now, and after a couple of days suffering from (sugar and chemical) withdrawal symptoms I now feel energized and oddly motivated, the joint pain and headaches are gone, and my concentration is improving. The mood swings have disappeared, and bonus, I have lost weight. It already feels like I have accomplished something. Now I have to make sure that I stick to my plans.

A Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you.

Find me on the road.

24 comments:

  1. This sounds like an excellent plan. A few years ago, I went all cave-man, with a lot of raw food (fruit and veg) and lean meat, mostly game. I felt fantastic on it, and the weight poured off me. Life events and a lack of willpower meant that I didn't stay on it, but I wish I had. Your post has made me think again ...

    It's amazing how the food we eat affects our moods. I'm convinced a lot of the depression and things like ADHD that we hear about today are linked to poor diet. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Richard: The caveman or paleo diet it is, indeed. Thanks for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A chance try out of a blood pressure measuring machine (that I had meant to give to someone for their 50th some years ago) has lead me now to healthy eating...Mrs N was not happy. We even talked about going to a health farm for 2 weeks!

    So it's 5kg off by means of a cave person diet too - the incentive being I should be able to wear my expensive Revit leather pants again....

    Today's lunch is chick peas and spinach (yes, my son is a vegetarian)

    All the very best to you Sonja and if you are visiting Germany or England please let me know - we might be able to post a video log of us eating healthy food together!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear your plan is working....and yeah, one's diet is a key component.

    My wife says when I get moody and irritable its usually because I am FOS: full of "stuff" and need a good "movement". ;) A healthier diet should help in that regard.

    It used to be the simple pleasures of riding did the trick, but one's inner demons have developed a resistance to the ride-generated endorphins.

    Your mention of long walks reminded me how I used to run as stress relief...my knees can't bear that anymore, perhaps I'll try long walks.

    Good posting, leads to introspection, which is never a bad thing...in moderation.

    Good luck with your resolutions!

    Dom

    Redleg's Rides

    Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you Sonja. I am glad you are feeling better and your pain is gone. Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. And of course the exercise helps too.

    We've been slacking off on our evening 4 mile walks but need to get back at it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chairlie6: FOS is a good expression, I should have paid attention to the food stuff sooner. It is amazing what can make you sick even if you think you doing quite well. My knees also prevent me from running, but walking is a pleasant alternative and a less sweaty affair, too. Maybe you want to give it another try?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Trobairitz: I admire your Vegan lifestyle. I guess you can avoid a lot of the stuff that's bad for you, and I feel motivated by you guys. One learns a lot about food when going through this. For now I stick with the Paleo diet. Let's see where my path will lead me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you Sonja and long may you enjoy the new-found vitality! Do you get headaches from all types of chocolate? The reason I ask is that it's Jennie's abiding passion too but she discovered that good quality dark chocolate was what gave her blinding headaches. A pity because it was her absolute favourite but at least the headaches have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caveman diet, that's a new term for me. I slacked off quite a bit on walking during the holiday break. Taking time to exercise is sort of built into my work routine so when took time off, not much exercise got done. Strange...

    What I did start during the break was a dramatic increase in vegetables and a reduction in meat. Carbs was already pretty low already. For me, sugar or fat sort of triggers headaches and lethargy. Even fruit or fruit juice has that effect. It sounds like a great way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonja, I hope you are able to stick with the new regimen. These things are never easy. It helps when the new practices pay dividends, and it sounds like you are reaping some good rewards for your investment. I am about to start the Dukan diet on Monday and I want to start exercising as well. I hope to be as successful as you.

    All the best,

    David

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Geoff James: Thank you, I need the support because I am weak. Especially when it comes to chocolate. I haven't found out what kind or brand causes the headaches, hence I stay away from it completely for now. It is the hardest part of the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Richard Machida: Man, I wish I could build the exercise into my work schedule, that sounds so much easier. I have never considered that also fruit juice could be a trigger. I will have to watch that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonja:

    we started a few years ago to modify our "input", less red meat, more fish, less starch, less coffee, less pop, more veggies but perhaps not as drastic as yourself. We still have stuff like hamburgers but in moderation. You have to have junque food once in a while. I don't know how I would cope with a stressful job that didn't respect my free time

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
  14. @David Masse: I sure do too, but quick results and instant wellness seem to keep me motivated for now. Please let me know how you do with the Dukan diet, I am curious. Best wishes for success!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @bobskoot: At one point my diet will allow the occasional junk food again, I like my donair, and a good pizza too much. I always make the mistake all over again to let my job invade my private time, and this has to stop. I believe I deserve some respect, too. Wish me luck that I can change that because it is partly my fault to let it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forced my private life to invade my work. Arrive early, leave late (as always) but inserted two hours of exercise mid-afternoon. Occasionally there are audio conferences but that's what a cell phone is for. Good luck with all the changes...

    BTW, nice header and title

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Richard Machida: Sounds like an interesting approach. I could even catch some daylight. I guess I will give it a try. Thanks, Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck, and keep su informed on how you are going. It takes 28 days to form a habit. Nice you title also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Raftnn: Thanks Roger, 28 days you say? One week down, three to go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you. Seems to be on lots of peoples minds lately. Let's see if I can catch up to your good feelings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good on you, and best wishes on your resolutions. It's hard sometimes, but ultimately pays off. Ron and I try to get a walk in the evenings. Sometimes I hate to go out when it's wet or cold, but I always feel so much better when we do. I get quite cranky with out some activity in my life. As for food, especially mass-production stuff, I think there can be a lot of junk added that isn't beneficial. All those little things add up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you Sonja! I hope you feel better and better. Too often I think we ignore what our bodies are telling us. I am starting a regime of sorts. I generally am not a breaky eater and I have started making fresh fruit smoothies and trying to exercise at night.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like your body has told you what to do and you're listening. My advice (learned the hard way) Work to live, don't live to work, eat to live don't live to eat, smile and walk everyday and visit the virtual world when you feel like it, don't worry about it when you don't...and by the way I've got a great recipe for pizza with no junk (or sadly,chocolate)! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @BeemerGirl, bluekat, Dar and VStar Lady, thanks so much, gals. I can use all the support I can get to fight my "inner Ratfink", as we Germans say for one's weaker self.

    ReplyDelete