Pages

September 25, 2012

Uncharted Territory, almost

Imagine seven weeks of paid(!) vacation.
Imagine an employer that actually lets you go and takes you back after.
Imagine an old but trusty thumper that has a reputation for endurance and longevity.
Imagine rocks, mud, river crossings, old railroad tracks and dirt trails, everything but pavement.
Imagine a 5,000 mile off road journey on the Trans-America-Trail.
Stephan, your not so average German with serious traveler blood in his veins and a knack for mechanics didn’t stop at imagining. He took his 1988 Yamaha XT500 and just did it.

Last Sunday I came across Stephan's adventure blog by accident. Out of curiosity I SPOTted his location. He had just crossed the Canadian border, so I sent him a virtual wave by email to wish him safe continued travels.

But as it turned out he was on the very last leg of his journey (for this year), and adding to randomness he planned to put his motorcycle in a storage facility not even a mile away from my house. What are the odds? It was inevitable. We had to meet!

Hence, we picked him up and went for Eastern Indian food. As it turned out Stephan is a connoisseur of the cuisine as well as of the country as he had traveled India many times.

It would take too long to repeat all his stories, so just go check out his other blogs.


We had a great time, and who knows, maybe I’ll met him again next year when he picks up the bike to continue his trip to wherever his dreams might take him. Alaska? New Zealand? Time will tell.
A rugged looking Stephan and Yours truly.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Rog, I immediately thought of you when I heard about the Trans-America Trail.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Seven weeks of travel and a job waiting. Not to mention how many cool people you have met and blogged about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine? I get a frown when I dare ask about taking one week off...

      Delete
  3. Imagine! It's such a small world. I am sure he was thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world is so small indeed. He and I even come from the same Northern German province. So we are almost siblings...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Such a trip should be right up your alley with the Ural hack.

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Must be serendipity that you just happened to see his blog before he was storing his bike close to your house. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for running across his blog. How cool that you came across him when it was possible to meet. Grreeaaatttt...another blog of someone out doing something that I want to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete