Pages

October 28, 2012

Earthquake in Western BC

Today shortly after 8PM my husband noticed a slight movement of the blinds, and suspected the heat of the radiators causing it. Seconds later my iPhone app signaled an earthquake warning, but it does this all the time as it reports major geological events from around the world. However, something made him look at my phone, to which he usually never pays attention, and he discovered this:
Then, we got a news flash from a German broadcasting app, and the first emails coming in to ask if we were ok. It was surreal to find that no Canadian broadcaster seemed to find this worth reporting instantly. We turned on the TV but couldn't find a channel where the current events were reported, so we focused on surfing the net for information.
While US Geological Service reported a magnitude of 7.7, Earthquake Canada stated 7.1. Not sure which one is right, I trust it's the USGS. It's a major quake and it will likely cause a Tsunami.

Google meanwhile issued a tsunami warning for the North Western part of British Columbia. Another warning could be found on the website of the Canadian Weather Office. The region that is going to be affected is a relatively sparsely populated area but yet there are people out there, and I hope that the warnings will reach them and that they will be able to find higher grounds in time.

It doesn't look like the Vancouver area will be affected by any flooding, but maybe we will experience some higher tides.

In the meantime news keep trickling in from all over Canada (and finally at 10:39 - 2 1/2 hours after the main event the Vancouver Sun seemed to have woken up, too!). No injuries or damages have been reported so far, and I hope it will stay that way.

I am going to watch this for a while as I won't be able to sleep anyway:
Emergency Info for BC with warnings and advisories in effect. Here is the tweet.

Tsunami Travel Map - Source

24 comments:

  1. KEEP CALM. DON'T PANIC AND DRIVE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE EAST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good advice, Nikos. We consider packing up our stuff and return back Alberta on the other side of the Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! So far heard nothing here. It always amazes me that news travels faster on my scooter / moto resources than any other medium. Sounds like you'll be OK. I e-mailed my son Andrew. Take care guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that Canadian News and Broadcast didn't report right on the spot, there was nothing on TV or radio shortly after.

      Delete
  4. I can only imagine what it must feel like to experience the ground shaking and am glad that there isn't enough news about your event last night for it to be a major news story. Our daughter is now in L.A. and it's much easier to think about ground shaking than it has been here in the Midwest.
    Be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had that a few times. Last year we had a quake, and when I traveled in California I got exposed to a minor one, too. And once back n the 90's we had one in Germany. It was never bigger than causing material damages but it was a scary experience every time.

      Delete
  5. The other side of some big hills seems like a good place for you to be at the moment. Whatever you do stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least in Calgary we didn't have quakes...

      Delete
  6. Wow, 7.7 is a pretty big one.....FWIW Sonja, being closer to the Rockies and more specifically Yellowstone, won't help when that big volcano under the park goes....

    It is what it is...

    dom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the Yellowstone caldera blows up the world as we know it will seize to exist anyway...

      Delete
  7. At this time (several hours later)it appears that there was little damage and no injuries, so that's all good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it seems that there was some 5 to 6 ft waves measured on Maui but I haven't heard of anyone or anything being damaged. Looks like we got away this time.

      Delete
  8. Heard from the mouth of a US earthquake expert, talking of the Tsunami resulting from the Canadian coastal earthquake....."Having ordered the evacuation of many parts of Hawaii, the waves were actually quite small. Having inconvenienced everybody, I wish the waves had been bigger." Err, what a dick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that from a guy who should know better. How disregardful.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like all is well and nobody is in danger. I too was surprised at the lack of news or warnings broadcast but I guess no celebrities got pregnant or ended up in rehab so it wasn't worth reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ANy one would think you live in NZ..seems a daily occurance down here in the shaky Isles..

    ReplyDelete
  11. We were so relieved to hear that you guys were ok. News was just breaking when we got back from Auckland.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The one major difference I noticed travelling the Pacific coast compared to here were the signs "Tsunami Evacuation Route." We've had a few earthquakes in this area in the past little while but don't have to worry about the after effects from the ocean. Kingston area is located on a major fault - I slept through the one that should have/did (apparently) rock my world and was at work and didn't feel the last one. Glad you are all okay and the waves are small.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hadn't heard anything about it and 7.7 is very significant. I would've expected a lot of news from something that large. Maybe all of the storm activity on the east coast is consuming the single-minded attention of the news media...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read about it before it happened on UK online news sources. I was waiting to see what you and Bob would write today. I'm glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find it amusing that your German app gave you the first indications of what occurred. Sadly I am not surprised. If it wasn't for the internet we wouldn't have heard anything about it. Sometimes I think we live in the (CSA) Censored States of America.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really did read about this in the UK news early before any other news of it happened. A small tsunami was even recorded in Alaska Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It also made the news here in Spain. I heard about it just as the waves got to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously, 7.7 and no local coverage or tsunami alerts? That's just nuts. I am glad nothing ever came of it. Has there been any sort of outcry at the lack of local news?

    ReplyDelete