Pages

October 27, 2012

Fall Food Challenge!

The dark and wet season has begun. I am still doing my three miles walk along the inlet every day, now back to wearing hi-viz rain gear to be seen, and a headlamp to be able to illuminate the otherwise unlit path. Please note the sign in the background... bears are around this time of the year to feed on the returning salmon.

It is also comfort food season. Time to go through my piles of cook books (those who know my streaks of OCD will rightly assume that I don't keep books in a pile but neatly categorized on a shelf), and pick my favourite soup and cabbage recipes. This year I have to conduct my own special challenge by converting those hearty meals into the vegan variety.

Pam over at Helmet or Heels threw out the Fall Food Challenge right in time for my first experiment: Veganizing Szegeniner Gulasch, a spicy Hungarian meat stew. So how to do it without the main ingredients: meat, meat and meat? As a matter of fact the recipe can be easily transformed by replacing meat with tempeh, and adding soy based sour cream at the end, done. And bonus, it doesn't take hours to cook.
Voilà! Half an hour later the meal is ready to be served.
Bon Appétit!

7 comments:

  1. Looks good! Did you still use sauerkraut or substitute shredded cabbage? I ask this since you had mentioned cabbage recipes.

    What would this normally be served with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get some organic gluten free sauerkraut from my favourite grocery store.
      It is very popular to serve it with potato dumplings or potatoes but I prefer corn or rice fusilli.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I used to make this often (the meat version) about 25 years ago but had forgotten what it was called so I had been sort of guessing based on taste and old memories. And for lack of knowing any better, I just served it with rice or roasted potatoes.

      Delete
  2. Sonja - the gulasch looks good ... As for walking in bear feeding country, what are you thinking! In the cold and dark and rainy season I move my walks indoors to the treadmill - no bears to watch out for, I watch movies instead (have to just to keep from going insane with boredom.) Outside is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's the bear's home, we are the intruders ;-) The bears are much more interested in the salmon than in humans these time of the year so it is easy to stay out of their way. Plus, I need the fresh air!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy. Looks good Sonja.

    Kudos to you for going on your walks. We seem to have hit hibernation phase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this post has really brought home to me the differences in people who live in other parts of the world. I started out reading and thinking that you are pretty similar to me, love of riding, you have some awesome scenery to watch while you do it and that's one of the reasons I love visiting your blog. But then I see that a walk in autumn means watching for bears and it makes it all seem a bit unreal to me .. the worst I've ever had to watch for was Drop-Bears .. and really they arent that big.

    Great ideas for your recipe Sonja, I almost wish it was cooler here so I can try it out ... nah maybe I'll just write it down and try it in 6 months time :)

    ReplyDelete