| Kananaskis Country |
For most Europeans their western Canadian vacation trips essentially start out from Calgary, before heading west into the Rocky Mountains, visit Banff, then drive up Icefield Parkway, take a gander at Lake Louise, stop in Jasper, and then go west towards Vancouver. We have done it, too, and fell in love with the country.
Tourists will leave Alberta with most memorable impressions of high mountain roads, snow covered peaks, nature, and wildlife encounters if lucky. The travel books weren't exaggerating, it is all beautiful and true.
Above Banff, Peyto Lake and Alberta wildlife
![]() |
| Dogsledding in Kananaskis Country |
But Alberta has so much more to offer.
I fondly remember the prairie and the badlands, the endless roads, the fertile grounds and the huge farms, and oh, the clear blue skies. And although we lived right on the outskirts of Calgary, the air always tasted and smelled clean.
I certainly don't miss the cold Alberta winters, however, I sometimes find myself missing two-wheeling these empty roads, taking in the fresh air and admiring the wide open skies.
| Silver-Winging somewhere near Olds, AB |
| Out and about on my Ladyhawk |
| Dinosaur Provincial Park |
| Cypress Hills Provincial Park |
| Road to anywhere. |
| Rolling Hills |
![]() |
| Upcoming Storm |
***
Postkarten aus Alberta
Doch wenn ich an die Provinz denke, in der ich fünf Jahre gelebt habe, denke ich eher an die Prärie, die Badlands und den ach so blauen Himmel. Und, obwohl wir direkt am Stadtrand von Calgary gelebt haben, schmeckte und roch die Luft immer klar und frisch.
Ich vermisse die kalten Alberta Winter ganz und gar nicht, aber ich ertappe mich dabei, dass ich das Motorradfahren auf den leeren, schier endlos erscheinenden Straßen, diese knackig frische Luft und den weiten Horizont vermisse.



Good stuff! You sure you're not working with the Canadian Tourism board?
ReplyDeleteOh Dom, I which I would ;-)
DeleteNun, als wir 1982 nach Canada kamen, kamen wir über Montreal nach Fredericton - New Brunswick und ja, es war genau so, wie man es mir vorher erzählt hatte ... lange, schier endlos erscheinende Straßen (vor allem, als ich zum Supermarkt laufen wollte), ab und zu ein überfahrenes Stinktier und im Unterschied zu Amerika eine gelbe Linie auf den Straßen :-)
ReplyDeleteEin wirklich schönes Land :-)
1982...? So alt bist Du doch noch gar nicht ;-) Meine allererste Kanada-Tour ging auch in den Osten, allerdings von Toronto nach Montreal und Quebec. New Brunswick habe ich erst viel später kennen gelernt.
DeleteÖrks! Von überfahrenen Stinktieren hat man noch lange was. Damit hatten wir aber in Alberta keine Last, dort war es denen zu kalt.
I, too, get an ache for the wide open spaces when I look at your photos. I know a few small towns where I could land and have endless skies and mountain ranges and grasslands to keep me company. But the towns would not be my kind of communities. A bad fit for them and me. As they say "Who's your city?"
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos here and beautiful memories.
Thanks Martha, the rural area around Calgary was actually a good fit, we had well paid work and we made a lot of friends here. Sometimes I damn the winter in Manitoba which broke my spirit...
DeleteStunning photos Sonja. Why did you ever leave such a beautiful country?
ReplyDeleteChill, I left Alberta, because the long winter broke my back... otherwise it was a great place to live.
DeleteBeautiful photos! Need to visit there sometime instead of always blasting through...
ReplyDeleteThanks Richard, Alberta is definitely worth an extended vacation.
DeleteWe're being tourists in Vancouver. Christmas eve in Seattle, today Lynn Canyon and Deep Cove.
ReplyDeleteThat Peyto Lake sure is spectacular. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would not believe the colour to be true.
Isn't that true? One has to see it to believe it, eh? Enjoy your time on the wet coast.
DeleteGreat photos Sonja. I used to love the deserted backroads as well, but never had the pleasure on a bike.
ReplyDeleteWe used to drive and visit my mom in Calgary then Edmonton. The scenery was always breathtaking.
Brandy, the great wide open, is what I miss the most in Germany. Everything seems so crowded here ;-)
Delete