Pages

May 20, 2015

Houston, we have a... view! - Part Three of the Journey to the HD Euro Festival

We were going to wake up to the soothing rhythm of rain yet again, and decided to take it slow and leave a little later than the usual schedule would suggest as the weather forecast promised improvement. The roads were still wet but the rain had stopped when we rode deeper into the Rhone-Alpes.

Un-fucking-believable blue skies.

Suddenly there was a first hint of blue, and an hour later we had clear skies, sunshine and the promise of dry roads, as if the rain never happened. Now the real fun was about to begin. 


After a break in Grenoble we entered a bunch of lovely small lanes with lots of twists and turns until we got to the highlight of today's ride: The Combe Laval, a balcony road constructed for commercial transport purposes at the end of the 19th century. 


This dangerous and spectacular road cuts right into the cliff side of the gorge along with a series of narrow and dark tunnels. This stretch of road is not for those with fear of height. There is a small ledge but it would not prevent you from falling over the edge should you lose control over your vehicle. 


This is what we came to see, and why we endured the never ending rain for. For a unique hair-raising, palm-sweating, adrenaline pumping riding experience on the edge of a gorge, with drops of several hundred meters. One false move and you'd be off free falling a vertical 1,000 ft to your death. On the plus side you'd go out with a nice view in a gorgeous scenery of the Isère river valley. Anyway, slow and easy does it.

Gary's Eleven? No, make that nine.

Another bunch of mountain roads would take us to Crest, where we spent the night. It was a hard day's ride, a good ride, and although dead tired we had nothing but big smiles on our faces.

May 6th, 2015

***

Endlich! Ausblicke! - Teil Drei der Reise zum HD Euro Festival
Und wieder erwachten wir zum beruhigenden Rhythmus von Regen, also wurde entschieden, dass wir etwas später los fahren würden, da die Wettervorhersage Besserung versprach. Als wir dann aufbrachen, waren die Straßen zwar noch nass, aber der Regen hatte tatsächlich aufgehört und so machten wir uns weiter in die Rhone-Alpen auf. Plötzlich brachen die Wolken auf und gaben den Weg für die ersten warmen Sonnenstrahlen frei. Eine Stunde später hatten wir dann blauen Himmel und Sonnenschein, als wenn es nie geregnet hätte. 

Nach einer Pause in Grenoble führte uns Gary weiter über schönste Nebenstraßen bis zum Höhepunkt dieses Tages: dem Combe Laval. Diese in den Fels geschlagene Höhenstraße mit Felsüberhängen und engen dunklen Tunneln gehört sicherlich zu den schönsten landschaftlichen Sehens- (Fahrens-)würdigkeiten Frankreichs. Man braucht viel Zeit und gute Nerven für diese Strecke. Ein Fahrfehler wäre fatal, denn die Begrenzungsmauer ist mehr Dekoration als Schutz. Ein falscher Zug und man würde mehrere hundert Meter senkrecht im freien Fall verbringen. Doch wenigstens hätte man dabei die beste Aussicht auf das Isère Tal ;-). 

Weiter ging es durch die Berge über Pässe und durch Täler bis wir das Endziel dieser Tagesetappe in Crest erreichten. Das war ein schwerer, aber atemberaubender Ritt, doch obwohl todmüde, konnten wir alle das Grinsen nicht aus dem Gesicht bekommen.

29 comments:

  1. He, den Parkplatz kenn ich doch :-) http://tinyurl.com/no6fmh3

    So tolles Wetter auf so genialen Straßen! Sieht nach viel Spaß aus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Biki, hab' ich mir gedacht, dass Du dazu das passende Bild hast ;-)
      War ein riesiger Spaß!!!

      Delete
  2. Sonja - one look down and I'd be done - you know how I love mountains. Oh, give me a home ... in flatlandia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I fully understand the fear of nights but believe me, we were traveling at very safe and slow speed, and it was very safe.

      Delete
  3. What an incredible road! Thank you for the photos! (Where are all the pictures of your bike?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, most of the times Rover seems to be hiding or overshadowed by the bigger brothers and sisters, but if you take a closer look, you'll spot him.

      Delete
    2. Second bike in the first photo?

      Delete
    3. Correct, Richard. Well spotted.

      Delete
  4. What a breathtaking road (figuratively AND literally), likely only somewhat safe at 1890's speed of travel. Thanks for the various photo-perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ry, it was in fact much dangerous traveling back in 1890 due to the fact that it was all mud and gravel back then, there were the occasional rock slides, and the stone walls didn't exist.

      Delete
  5. Fracken Spectacular! I don't think I could ride this road, you are a braver soul than I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fracken true, Dar. I am not sure I would have gone there solo, but with a group of experienced riders it is doable ;-)

      Delete
  6. Wow spectacular views, I'm green with envy right now. Keep up the great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Chill. Now it is my turn. Once season change again, you'll be the one making me envious again.

      Delete
  7. Pack a parachute just in case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or one of these squirrel fly suits, that base jumpers use.

      Delete
  8. "Mehrere hundert Meter im freien Fall..." Da hilft auch die Protektorenweste nichts mehr. Meine Güte, mir wird ja schon auf dem Küchentritt schlecht. Alle Achtung! Eine bemerkenswert atemberaubende Landschaft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minya, über die Folgen eines (Ab-)Sturzes darf man gar nicht nachdenken... sonst fährt man diese Straße nicht. Ich habe auch Höhenangst, aber wir fuhren ja auf der Steilwandseite...

      Delete
  9. Wow, the views and beautiful blue skies! That road would probably scare the heck out of me, but I think I'd enjoy it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandy, I have to admit that I wasn't at all that confident but Gary was a careful leader, and made sure that we all rode safely.

      Delete
  10. Sonja,
    Now that's a Road! I'll have to simply imagine what that one's like. A wonderful trip the way it looks but you know what? I'd find big pleasure in just touching that amazing jacket of yours....almost (but not quite) too lovely to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Coop the jacket is very soft, and nice to wear. It was a present from hubby.

      Delete
  11. Happy the weather cooperated with you and the other riders, SonjaM. I like that road and the overhang.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, finally yes. You'd definitely enjoy the road, and you've ridden much more challenging tracks, so no problem for you.

      Delete
  12. Awesome looking ride. I love heights, so would be my cup of tea, (Ron, not so much).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spectacular! I suffer from a fear of heights but I'd do that in a heartbeat:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When they eventually came, those blue skies were very welcome. I love this bit in your post."On the plus side you'd go out with a nice view in a gorgeous scenery" That really made me laugh. Combe Laval is a spectacular road. It is odd though, because even though it is high and a very steep drop, it still feels safe because we ride it so slowly. Riding this last year, one guy was very afraid of heights, but even he enjoyed it - he was saying oh no and oh yes at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a grand view from that road. Just looking at it on google maps now to see if I can add it to my ride. So many roads...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Großartige Bilder Sonja!!! Die Route de Combe Laval nehme ich als Steilvorlage zu einer unserer nächsten Touren :-)

    ReplyDelete