After a slow start into this year's riding season for various weather, work, family or health related reasons I was more than ready and willing to escape to a place where the weather would be fair, the people good spirited, a place that involved sun, beach and ocean, where the living is easy, and motorcycling pure bliss.
Enter: Gary France, ex-company man, traveller, writer, and last but not least an authorised Harley Davidson tour operator. It is not the first time, that I'd join Gary on one of his tours. Last September, I had the pleasure to ride along when he took a group of riders to the European Bike Week at Faaker See in Austria. This time I would tag along for the journey to the Harley Davidson Euro Festival in Grimaud at the Cote d'Azur, France.
| Yours truly riding pillion with Gary France |
Given that it was early May weather might have played along, but certainly did not this time around. There was rain, and lots of it. Nonetheless Gary's group of Harley Davidson riders braved the elements, while traveling through parts of France, Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany, and arrived safe and sound (a little oopsie of one of the riders aside) in the Black Forest.
Gary's trip plans included a lunch break a mere thirty miles away from my home, basically in my backyard. So, I was more than happy to help out with a recommendation for an appropriate Black Forest venue.
| Alte Tränke |
At Alte Tränke, a historic farm house (run by the same family for over four centuries) turned event location, arrangements had been made for a huge buffet of regional delicatessen. The host/chef went above and beyond to made it an unforgettable culinary experience for his guests, and judging by the empty platters and full bellies after, Gary's merry men and women seemed to have liked it.
| Black Forest Delicatessen |
After lunch there were more Black Forest roads to conquer, and off the riders went into the sunset. Well, not quite because although sunny at first the weather would turn again for the worse towards the end of the day on arrival in Waldshut-Tiengen, a city close to the Swiss border.
May, 4th 2015
| Waldshut-Tiengen |
***
Wieder daheim, die Ausrüstung gewartet und die Wäsche gewaschen, habe ich nun die nötige Muße, die letzten Tage Revue passieren zu lassen. Die Zeit vergeht einfach zu schnell, wenn man damit beschäftigt ist, Spaß zu haben.
Nach einem doch eher späten Beginn meiner Motorrad-Saison wegen Wetter, diverser Familienangelegenheiten, Arbeit oder gesundheitlichen Gründen war ich nun mehr als bereit und willig, mich an einen Ort zu begeben, an dem das Wetter schön und die Leute gut gelaunt waren. Ein Ort an dem es Sonne, Strand und Wasser gab. An dem das Leben einfach war, und das Motorradfahren besonders Spaß machen würde.
Hier kommt mein Kumpel Gary ins Spiel, seines Zeichens Ex-Unternehmer, Reisender, Autor und darüber hinaus autorisierter Harley Davidson Tour Organisator. Ich war schon einmal letzten September mit ihm unterwegs, als er gerade eine Gruppe zur European Bike Week am Faaker See in Österreich geführt hatte, und dieses Jahr würde ich ihn zum Harley Davidson Euro Festival in Grimaud an der Cote d'Azur begleiten.
Anfang Mai hätte das Wetter mitspielen können, das tat es aber leider nicht, dennoch meisterte die Reisegruppe britischer Motorradfahrer die Regenfahrt durch Frankreich, Belgien, Luxemburg und Deutschland bis hin zum Schwarzwald, wo zur Abwechslung nicht nur Sonne, sondern auch eine typische regionale Vesper auf sie wartete, welche ich kurz vorher für die Gruppe organisiert hatte. In der Alten Tränke (sehr empfehlenswert!!!), einem Bauernhof, der zu einer Event-Restauration umgebaut wurde, konnten die hungrigen Biker nach Herzenslust schlemmen und die mageren Überreste ließen darauf schließen, dass es offensichtlich geschmeckt haben musste.
So gestärkt ging es nach der Mittagspause weiter auf schönsten Nebenstrecken durch den Schwarzwald bis hinunter nach Waldshut-Tiengen, nahe der Schweizer Grenze, wo man das Nachtlager aufschlagen wollte. Leider hatte der Regen bis dahin die Gruppe inzwischen wieder eingeholt und das sollte wohl auch am kommenden Tag so bleiben.
Boah, ich bin gespannt, wie das Abenteuer weiter geht :-)
ReplyDeleteIst in Arbeit, Funny ;-)
DeletePS: Cooler Header ... *like* ... Aber klar, wo Sonja drauf ist ...
ReplyDeleteJa, nun die Jacke macht ein etwas breites Kreuz... Aber ich find's trotzdem schön.
DeleteGreat pics! I likr the new pic at the top of your blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks Dar, that was Roland's doing.
DeleteMotorcycling, friends (old and new), and good food... It sounds to me like you have a magical trifecta there.
ReplyDeleteAnd that spread (abendbrot?)! I tell ya', if I wan't hungry before reading this blog post, I am ravenous now. It looks simply delectable.
Ry, the offerings are the same you'd get at (Evening bread = dinner), but since it is lunchtime the meal is called or .
Deletelooks like it was a great event, but then again, anything associated with Gary France is!
ReplyDeleteSpot on, Dom.
DeleteMost of these photos look like Wisconsin...Germans and Swedes, ya know. Looks like a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteMartha, I guess that people took there heritage with and set it up in the new world.
DeleteHow awesome to have the event happen in your own back yard. Aside from the rain, sounds like it was a great time (the buffet looked awesome from a meat eaters point of view!)
ReplyDeleteKaren, since I wasn't the only one with specific dietary requirements I made sure that they had also vegetarian options. But the Black Forest is meat eater country per say.
DeleteThat lunch was amazing. There was a collective "wow" as the huge platter was bought to the table. Many thanks to Sonja and Roland for finding such a wonderful place to eat lunch.
DeleteWe are both very happy you liked it. Roland did a great scouting job on this.
DeleteGreat stuff Sonja. Sometimes, it's tough being at this end of the world when so many European bloggers are able to get together in person!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, have you seen this link to an 80 year old rider in Port Coquitlam? http://www.themotart-journal.com/2015/05/octogenarian-saddles-up-for-10000.html . Isn't that where you guys lived?
Geoff, I am sure there are other advantages living where you live ;-)
DeleteThanks for the link, we lived indeed in Port Moody which is adjacent to Port Coquitlam. Great guy, I hope to be in this mental and physical shape once (if) I get to that age.
Like Dar, I love the new header.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to the rest of the story.
Thanks David, I am currently working on the next installations.
DeleteFarm house turned destination. What a great concept. The area looks beautiful. I too love the new header!
ReplyDeleteThank you Richard, Roland did a great job on this picture, although I find that the jacket does make me look a bit burly ;-)
DeleteThat is two longs trips we have now done together Sonja. What a great way to spend time with friends, by riding some nice roads, eating great food, enjoying the views (when you can see them) and creating memories. It was especially good that Roland joined you in St Tropez. Happy days!
ReplyDeleteIndeed, Gary. The pleasure was all ours. It was great riding with you, and I'd do it again in an instant.
DeleteHey Sonja, it has just occurred to me that we have now been in seven different countries together - Canada, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, France and England. That is pretty cool!
ReplyDeleteGary, isn't that amazing? Never thought about this. I guess we'll have to continue on and add some more countries then...
DeleteThe food looks good, isn't it great to meet with other bloggers ans swap stories, even better if you get to go ride with them
ReplyDeleteYou betcha. Meet, eat, ride. What's not to love.
DeleteDas hört sich ja nach einem unheimlich spannenden Ausflug an!
ReplyDeleteDas freut mich ja, daß Deine gesundheitlichen Probleme soweit überstanden sind, daß Du wieder fahren kannst!
Ich lese auch gleich Teil zwei!
Vielen Dank für das Interesse, Minya. Fahren geht immer besser, und für den Notfall gibts immer Kompression und Tabletten, Hauptsache mal wieder auf dem Bike sitzen.
DeleteAwesome!! Love that new blog header picture too!
ReplyDelete