Pages

August 14, 2015

London Calling

At least once a year we have this itch, the desire, the need to visit a real big city. But not any big city will do for us what London does.  What would entering the Great of Britain be without waiting in a long line at customs as if we weren't Europeans, but illegal immigrants, the dodging of traffic at 2 in the morning, making detours around the never ending construction, and the weather... no wait, that was at Strasbourg.

on board... at least

We arrived at Strasbourg airport, a fifty minutes drive from home, around 8:30 p.m. to catch a flight an hour later, or so we thought when a heavy thunderstorm delayed our travel plans by two hours. The flight itself was uneventful, and we dozed off on take off to wake up an hour later on touch down.


At London Stansted we were lucky to catch what we thought was the last train to Liverpool Station. Another ten minutes walk took us to the hotel, where arrived around 3 a.m.. There we raided the free-of-charge minibar before going to rightful sleep.


Selfie Time

The next morning housekeeping woke us at 8 a.m., thanks..., and after a hearty and healthy (lot of fruits) breakfast we took a stroll to nearby London Tower, the Tower Bridge and surroundings. Despite the overcast skies it temperatures were nice. It was windy though, especially in between those high-rises that seemed to work as a wind channel.







Oh, it's awesome to be back in the Great Wen, that is London.

8 comments:

  1. What is there remaining to see? I'm getting worried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where 'the quirky guide' comes in, eh?

      Delete
    2. I've lived in London 65 years and still find new things to see ......

      Delete
  2. Awesome pictures!

    I am jealous you are so close to such great cities and countries to visit just a short plane ride away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, this time a short plane ride but a long wait due to the thunderstorms... travel time from door to door was 8 hours this time, usually it is less than five.

      Delete
  3. your pictures are stunning. love the angle, how you took the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. second attempt.

    nice pano! not sure I like the looks of the "modern" buildings but I guess I'm just old fashioned. As to air travel, it remains a loathsome activity but no way around it when time is short.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I'm envious of your photos. Are you on your way to NA?

    ReplyDelete