Before reunification this village was a mere stone-throw away from the 'anti-fashist-protection-wall' as the Eastern German propaganda called it. The rest of the world called the line of demarcation 'the death strip', and rightly so.
| As a reminder of the separation of our homeland |
| Memorial |
The German border separating east and west was a clear cut area equipped with watchtowers and snipers, with barbed wired fences, with land mines, watch dogs and spring guns.
| Former frontier line |
For the longest time this specific location hindered any kind of economic, touristic or otherwise growth-promising development on the western side. Companies who had settled in this area went bankrupt one after the other, and lacking regional job opportunities, young people left for more promising pastures.
| Castle Sternberg |
25 years later, new companies were founded, employment is flourishing, even tourism is slightly blooming in the area, and the roads are in marvellous condition. I found some of the freshest and smoothest tarmac here, including motorcycle compatible twists and bends. (Note to self: bring bike along next summer...)
Alas, thanks to long hours I didn't have much time to explore my surroundings. The pictures were more or less taken while on my daily commute from the hotel to work.
Temperatures were around freezing point, I even had to scrape ice off the car windows in the morning. Fall is almost over in this neck of the woods.
| Morning commute |
Temperatures were around freezing point, I even had to scrape ice off the car windows in the morning. Fall is almost over in this neck of the woods.

What an interesting area to visit even for work. Lovely fall colors in those last few shots. There is definitely a chill in the air here too, even with our sunshine.
ReplyDeleteBrandy, the chill wasn't virtual but reality, and scraping the windshield is something I haven't done since leaving Calgary...
DeleteI am glad that mess is over. When I traveled through East Germany the place seemed to lack an redeeming features. perhaps it was just my fear speaking but they creeped me out. Now we are doing our best to pick a fight with Russia again, for some reason.
ReplyDeleteMichael, I have very similar memories. We needed to traverse the GDR to get to West Berlin, where some of my relatives lived, and I felt unsettled every time. Even as a child I knew that the separation was wrong.
DeleteMmm, fresh pavement…
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you stumbled upon at least one ride to plan for the future (accidental recon?). In my estimation, ain’t no better way to spend some of the winter than planning rides for the next season.
Gotta love propagandist lingo: Though words can indeed be powerful and persuasive, a load of crap—despite the flowery language a skilled propagandist might use to try to disguise it—a load of crap will always stink.
Accidental recon is a good term for it. The area is predestined to be explored by motorcycle. You know, Ry the scary thing about propaganda of either commercial or political content is... it works every time with people. What does this say about us...?
DeleteSonja, thanks for sharing the bit of history re: the Separation, only something I've ever been vaguely familiar with. Older friends used to return here with tales of things seen and learned there.
ReplyDeleteAgreed, "accidental recon" is perfect and should be a goal :)