![]() |
| Source |
It all started back in the Seventies with a pile of Jule Verne science fiction novels as a birthday present, one of them being A Journey to the Center of the Earth, in which a German professor, his nephew and a local travel guide climb into a volcanic crater on Iceland in order to find a way to the Earth's center, only to be spat out by another volcano in Italy, and with many adventures in between.
A piece of literature that Sonja has held dear ever since, and loving it for fuelling her interest in traveling, geology, palaeontology, and said Northern island of course, where the protagonists' adventure started.
"Descend, bold traveller, into the crater of the jokul of Sneffels, which the shadow of Scartaris touches before the kalends of July, and you will attain the centre of the earth; which I have done,
Arne Saknussemm."
Arne Saknussemm."
| Saknussemm's message: I got there and so can you! |
So now, after four decades in the make, we are planning on crossing out said bucket list item some time this summer. Trip preparations are underway, fares and cost are being compared and various travel literature, the online and the printed stuff, currently being foraged. If only our vacation schedules can be matched up this year... let's keep our fingers crossed.


Looks like a wonderful trip! Ive always wanted to see Iceland, it looks like a beautiful country. Thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteIceland has always seemed like magical, otherwordly place to me (even before that brief crush I had on Bjork back in the '90s :) ), Ireland too: Give Hawaii and Paris to the masses, I'll gladly take Iceland or rural Ireland.
ReplyDeleteI think it is splendid to fulfill a long held wish. However to spend my summer in ten degree days would require me to change my nature. I shall leave the treeless volcanic loveliness to others. Not to mention the trolls goblins and elves.
ReplyDeleteThat would really be a cool journey....don't forget hard hats.
ReplyDeleteOn our bucket list too!
ReplyDeleteSure hope you get those vacations matched. Any thoughts to renting a bike in Iceland?
ReplyDeletehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ_BfyvRYR8
DeleteWow. Looking forward to following your trip.
ReplyDeleteI loved reading Jules Verne when I was a child :-). That trip sounds awesome, and I'm looking forward to all the pictures you will share with us.
ReplyDelete