Pages

April 09, 2016

Aussie Floyd


Think flying pigs, ugly teachers, and pink kangaroos... come again? Yesterday we went to the Australian Pink Floyd Show, a Pink Floyd tribute band from down under. Performing since 1988.

Not surprisingly most of the audience was 40+, and if there where younger folks present, they were likely dragged along by their parents. That was possibly the reason for the seated venue, us older people don't want to stand that long.


The band consists of no less than nine musicians, and they performed the Pink Floyd sound very authentically. Usually they seem to focus on one album from PF's repertoire, but this time it was a "Best of the Best" affair: after a rough start with the Syd Barrett pinned "Astronomy Domine" (possibly for final sound check purposes) they turned into "Shine on You crazy Diamond", a song that  Pink Floyd once wrote for Syd who had left band due to mental illness. Perfect sound!


After that the band presented an almost full overview of Pink Floyd's history, including "Time", "Wish you were here", "Another Brick in the Wall", "Comfortably Numb", etc. The music was accompanied by a show was that almost on Floyd level, but constantly using Australian content for reminding us that this was NOT the original: hence, the pink kangaroo (that actually rocked - literally), short clips from "Crocodile Dundee", "Neighbours" and "Skippy", and of course a few seconds of recordings from Kylie, Men at Work, and ACDC.


The audience was very pleased, and by 11pm we all left happy and ready to return to our nursing homes. We might be doing that again if our caregiver allows it!  ;-)

10 comments:

  1. "...happy and ready to return to our nursing homes..." :D

    Man, I would LOVE to see Aussie Pink Floyd! And I'd think that Floyd's music would transcend generations.

    Uh-oh... I, um, I turned forty on Wednesday... Am, am I now officially out of touch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, happy birthday to you then!!!! To my knowledge they also tour the US from time to time, so this might actually happen! No US dates yet, but they speak of a 2016 world tour starting in September: check out aussiefloyd.com!
      There are quite a few Pink Floyd cover bands around, a few of them are German, like 'Echoes', or 'RPWL', the latter turned into a full scale Progressive Rock Band. Check them out on Spotify or Apple Music!

      Delete
    2. Ha! Thanks, Roland. :-) Fortunately, I'm the youngest in my family, so there's that.

      Yes, Aussie Pink Floyd does occasionally tour the US, and the tickets always sell out quick. I'll have to keep my eyes and ears open.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a great concert. I used to listen to Pink Floyd (on vinyl) all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What made you stop? :-) Pink Floyd is a band that CDs were made for! They even have a few 5.1 DVDs that I am told sound great.

      Delete
  3. "if our care giver allows it", you two aren't that old! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have not lived till you have heard "Comfortably Numb" done as a polka. It works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAUcYJxKjc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like an awesome show and you guys really enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for the post, love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, an interesting concept. I never understood cover bands, but it looks like you had a great time. Nice pink kangaroo too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like it was a great fun with this show :-). love the pink kangaroo in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete