Pages

May 25, 2016

For we are many, not!


It started a few weeks back when the weather was still crappy. Flyers of the annual Let's-Bike-To-Work campaign promoted by one of the major health care insurances were handed out at work. From then onwards I use every possibility to take my Townie for the twelve kilometre round-trip to work. Other colleagues signed up as well, and some were very enthusiastic about it, however, my poor push bike more often than not seems to sit alone in its designated slot. On the plus side, I have found new purpose for my long neglected beach cruiser. And who knows, now we are few but soon we might be many...

Es fing damit an, dass vor ein paar Wochen auf der Arbeit Broschüren zur Aktion "Mit dem Rad zur Arbeit" verteilt wurden. Das Wetter war ziemlich schlecht und bot wenig Möglichkeiten, dennoch nehme ich seitdem jede Gelegenheit wahr, die zwölf Kilometer mit meinem Townie zu fahren. Andere Kollegen haben sich mit entsprechend großem Enthusiasmus angemeldet, allerdings steht mein Beach Cruiser bisher meistens allein in seiner Ecke. Wenigstens hat meine Tret-Harley jetzt eine neue Bestimmung als Pendler-Fahrzeug. Und wer weiß, im Moment sind wir noch wenige, aber bald werden wir (bestimmt) viele sein...

13 comments:

  1. A 12 km round trip could be a pretty peasant commute, especially if the area is anything like your pictures. Many see commuting by bicycle to be a great concept but unless the office is set up for it, execution is challenging. The building I was in at the university had showers and lockers. In fact, many of the buildings at the university had showers but not many have lockers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The commuter trip is an almost flat track through back alleys and over bike paths along secondary roads, Richard. Nothing to break out sweat, on the contrary, the mornings are still kinda cold, and I have to bundle up.

      Delete
  2. If that's the response in bicycle-friendly Europe, there's no hope here in North America where commuting distances tend to be longer and, as Richard says, few offices have the facilities needed. I recall when I was working down town it wasn't unusual to see bicycle commuters having a sort of sponge bath at the bathroom sink before starting work and then changing into wrinkled clothes pulled from a saddle bag. Not my cup of tea..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, it wasn't mine either. Actually it's the first time ever that I ride a push bike to work, and it's an effortless leisure ride. No sponge bath or change of clothes required. Usually my commute tended to be much longer, or unsafe or unfit for cycling, or the work schedule or dress code or facilities didn't allow such.

      Delete
  3. 12 km eine Strecke?

    Eine gute Aktion und ich finde es klasse, dass du daran teil nimmst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich habe gerade geguckt. Aber leider kann man als Privatperson nicht mitmachen. Ich dachte, jeden Tag in's Fitti zu radeln, könnte auch gelten :-)

      Delete
    2. Och, da habe ich gar nicht drauf geachtet. Jedenfalls fühlt es sich sehr gesund an, wenn ich zur und von der Arbeit radle. Die Strecke ist einfach, führt auf Radwegen und Nebenstraßen entlang und ins Schwitzen komme ich dabei eher nicht.

      Delete
  4. Das ist wirklich eine coole Kampagne! Hoffentlich machen da noch viel mehr Leute mit! Bei mir selbst anzufangen wäre zwar schön, aber bei mir klappt das nicht. Da ist das Auto gewissermaßen Teil meiner Arbeit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich muss auch oft genug mit dem Dienstwagen auf Achse... aber habe auch genügend Büro-Tage und gerade genug Motivation, an diesen dann mit dem Fahrrad zu fahren ;-)

      Delete
  5. Good for you! I have a 9.5 km round trip ride to work and I still don't do it very often. One hell of a head wind going home every night is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often get headwinds (downslope winds?) in the afternoon riding back up into the valley where we live, but the morning commute is pretty nice and so far has been without strong winds in either direction.

      Delete
  6. I always thought I would love a bicycle commute, but alas, all my commutes were long. For me it would have to be short enough that I wouldn't need to shower and change at work. Too much effort for me. The Ninja was perfect for my commute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Kari. My former job was a 50km roundtrip through the hills, and not compatible with office attire. There I mostly rode the Vespa.

      Delete