Pages

May 17, 2016

Tax Evasion Strategy

It could have been the perfect long weekend... with emphasis on 'could', if it weren't for the bad weather: it was rainy and cold and miserable, and instead of warming up over the day it became colder by the hour. With Monday being a holiday in Germany the shops were closed, too. So my better half suggested that we could do my all year favourite, not! Tax filing! The German tax system is unnecessarily complicated and hence, keeps a whole industry alive. However, we still do our own filing (Did I say we? I meant to say: the man).

Es hätte ein so schönes Pfingstwochenende werden können. Die Betonung liegt auf hätte. Leider spielte das Wetter gar nicht mit: Es war regnerisch und kalt und trostlos. Und statt wärmer zu werden, wurde es über den Tag Stunde um Stunde kälter. Die Geschäfte waren natürlich auch dicht. Was tun? Meine bessere Hälfte kam auf die glorreiche Idee, dass wir ja die Steuererklärung machen könnten... meine "Lieblingsbeschäftigung"! Wir wissen ja alle, dass unser Steuersystem zu den kompliziertesten dieser Welt gehören und damit eine ganze Industrie am Laufen hält. Trotzdem machen wir das immer noch selbst (ich meine damit, der Mann macht es...).



How does tax filing lead to tax evasion? Picture the man sitting in front of his laptop, his head spinning. Now insert scenes including the repetitive use of strong language and intense scenes of violence (involving the mutilation of documents and heavy hitting of keyboard). I quietly left the scene, grabbed the Vespa keys, and exited the building. Evasion strategy successfully executed.

Und wie kommt man nun auf die Vermeidung einer solchen Steuererklärung? Man stelle sich also vor, der Mann sitzt mit rauchendem Kopf vor dem Laptop, der Ton wird rauher, die Flüche sind nicht mehr jugendfrei und Gewalt in Form von zerknülltem Papier und misshandelter Tastatur bricht aus. Höchste Zeit, unbemerkt den Ort des Geschehens zu verlassen. Ich schnappte mir die Vespa-Schlüssel und verließ das Haus. Das war ja einfach.



Riding in the rain is not my favourite but the scooter didn't mind, and was happy to oblige. Fat drops smashed against the visor as I made my way up the hill. The tarmac was slippery, but I was in no rush. There wasn't any traffic, and the parking lots at the hiking trail heads were empty. It was the kind of weather not fit for man or beast. I stopped a few times to take in the scenery, and for a few quick snapshots. Funny though, as I dismounted my Vespa, a car stopped, and a woman asked if every thing was alright. Bad weather, as well as some distance to civilisation always seems to bring out the best in people.

Zwar gehört das Fahren im Regen nicht zum meinen Favoriten, aber der Roller hatte nichts dagegen und schien froh, unterwegs zu sein. Dicke Tropfen platzten auf meinem Visier als ich mich auf den Weg machte. Der Asphalt war glitschig, aber ich hatte es ja nicht eilig und fuhr entsprechend vorsichtig. Kaum ein Auto unterwegs, und auch an den Wanderweg-Parkplätzen war es leer. Es war aber auch ein Wetter, bei dem man keinen Hund vor die Tür jagen würde. Ein paar Mal stoppte ich für ein paar Schnappschüsse, und als ich von meinem Roller stieg, hielt eine Dame an und fragte, ob alles in Ordnung sei. Schlechtes Wetter und gottverlassene Gegenden bringen eben das Beste in den Menschen heraus. 


I thanked her for her kindness and explained that I just stopped to take a picture. She shook her head in disbelief, smiled and waved goodbye. She must have thought: scooterists are a crazy bunch of people. No, we are not crazy... just special. I had been out for over an hour, and was dripping wet. It was time to return to the lion's den. Said lion had meanwhile finished with the tax file report, and relaxed on the couch listening to music. And all was well with the world.

Ich bedankte mich für ihre Freundlichkeit und erklärte, dass ich nur für ein paar Fotos anhalten wollte. Ungläubig schüttelte sie den Kopf, lächelte und winkte noch einmal, dann war sie weg. Sie musste sich gedacht haben, dass wir Rollerfahrer wohl nicht ganz dicht sein konnten. Das stimmt so nicht, wir sind nur... anders. Inzwischen war ich mehr als eine Stunde unterwegs und tropfnass. Es war an der Zeit, wieder in die Höhle des Löwen zurück zu kehren. Besagter Löwe hatte inzwischen die Steuererklärung erledigt und saß entspannt Musik hörend auf dem Sofa. Ende gut, alles gut.


24 comments:

  1. We need a wheel barrow to take our tax papers in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Nick. It's even more complicated when you are self-employed, own property, and maybe have more than one residence.

      Delete
  2. Da rollert sie ganz still heimlich davon. :-P

    Recht hast gehabt. Wenn die Decke auf den Kopf drückt geht man auch bei schlechten Wetter raus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich sag's Dir, Tom... das tat gut. Trotz Regen (dafür gibt's ja Ausrüstung).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you did the tax dodge just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I have gotten pretty good at it, Dom.

      Delete
  4. Riding in the rain seems to be a much better option than doing your taxes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Richard. Sounds like you know what I am talking about ;-)

      Delete
  5. Well we are late filing ours - ugh and they are not complicated at all. Love how you say we are 'special' yup we are, 2 wheelers are a breed unto themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar, I miss Canada taxes: way less to pay and so easily done.

      Delete
  6. Sonja,
    Thanks for the laugh (at your expense!. We used to go through the same ritual every year with our personal and family trust taxes with much loss of temper. In the end, we decided to use a tax accountant who knew all the stuff which we as amateurs had no idea about. The result was that even taking their fees into account, we still get a decent amount of money back at the end of the year. An best of all? No stress and loss of temper :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, I guess ;-) You're probably right, at one point we should certainly employ a tax accountant. However, the above mentioned scenario works just fine for me ...

      Delete
  7. Gute Idee, den Gatten nicht bei der Steurerklärung zu stören. Sehr klug und umsichtig. So funktionieren gute Ehen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genau, Irina. Nun, ich gebe zu, ich hätte das Gedöns schon lange einem Steuerberater übergeben ;-)

      Delete
  8. You planned the perfect escape. Just slip a cup of coffee on the table beside him and back away slowly........

    Lovely photos though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, when I came home I made him dinner in order to properly reward his hard work.

      Delete
  9. Neuester Plan der Nasen in Berlin: Wer seine Steuererklärung verspätet abgibt, zahlt pro Monat (ab Mai gerechnet) 25 € Verzögerungsgeld. Das heißt in 4 Monaten bin ich im Minus...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Echt jetzt? Da hab' ich gar nichts von mit bekommen... Das wird ja teuer!

      Delete
  10. Das hast Du richtig getan. Mein Steuerberater hat meine tiefe Hochachtung dafür, daß er sich tagein tagaus mit diesem staubtrockenen Kram befasst. Und - er macht es sogar gerne. Er forscht da immer wieder Möglichkeiten aus und ficht das auch zur Not vor Gericht aus. Die Nerven hätte ich nicht.
    In sofern, die Schlüssel schnappen und über alle Berge, war das Beste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Och weißt Du, wenn man die Steuerregeln vereinfachen würde... bräuchte man so staubige Steuerheinis gar nicht... aber was macht man dann mit dieser Spezies? Also, ich vermute ja, dass das Steuersystem eine verkappte Arbeitsbeschaffungsmaßnahme ist...

      Delete
  11. Regrettably, I am the designated tax filer in my home. That's where the grey hair comes from. This year and last were particularly gruesome. Still, what's done is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, David. This is what Roland says, too... but a man's gotta do...

      Delete
  12. Isn't it funny how cars stop and ask if we are ok while we are taking in a scenic view? Last summer I had 3 motorcyclists stop and ask me that while sitting alongside a lake taking photos. Sad so many live in some "inner fast lane" inside their heads. Me? I use Turbo tax. Filed and spent in February! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, no fast lane for me either, Deb. Filed and spent already? So at least you've gotten something back... I usually have to pay more taxes after I filed, hence the procrastination on that issue.

      Delete