Pages

August 02, 2016

The Rock

Although widespread throughout the Atlantic ocean from Norway to Newfoundland we had never actually seen one of them before, but we were told that we might get to see some of them here, in Borgarfjördur Eystri.

Auch wenn sie über den ganzen atlantischen Ozean von Norwegen bis Neufundland verstreut zu finden sein sollen, hatten wir bisher noch nie einen gesehen, aber man hatte uns gesagt, hier in Borgarfjördur Eystri würden wir höchstwahrscheinlich welche antreffen.

A habitat for Elves?

It wasn't that easy to get here, for many miles we had to follow a dirt track over a steep mountain and along deep fjords, but in the end it was worth the effort.

Es war nicht so einfach, hier hin zu kommen. Viele Kilometer mussten wir einem Schotterweg über einen steilen Berg und an einem tiefen Fjord entlang folgen, aber am Ende sollte sich der Weg für uns lohnen.


Here we were! Da waren wir nun!

The Rock

After we left the village behind, we soon spotted the rock with the settlement of these wonderful creatures: Fratercula Arctica or more common: the Arctic Puffin. We spent many hours watching these beautiful, comical and lovely seabirds.

Nachdem wir das Dorf hinter uns gelassen hatten, sahen wir auch schon die Felsen-Kolonie dieser wunderbaren Wesen: Fratercula Arctica, auch Papageitaucher genannt. Wir verbrachten mehrere Stunden damit, diese wunderschönen, süßen und komischen Lunde zu beobachten.




19 comments:

  1. Aren't they cute! We saw them during a motorcycle trip to Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, Ally. And I've never seen live ones before.

      Delete
  2. I like the collages of pics of the puffins....seems like you got pretty close or do you have a large telephoto lens? The rest of the pictures were great as well! All that first pano needed was a motorcycle in the foreground....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, we got really close, no tele needed. I agree with the lack of moto content in the pano. We haven't seen any bikes in this part of Iceland.

      Delete
  3. Really nice puffin photos. There is a rock full of puffin nests that I saw just outside of Whittier way back in the dark ages (film days).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool that you got to see the Puffins. I'd want to watch them for hours.

    Love the new header pic. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meiii, de Vogal ham ja voi den Dackelblick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oder haben Dackel einen Lundi Blick?

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures of the Puffin birds, they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! Have never seen puffins in the wild (or anywhere else come to that).

    What camera do you use Sonja? Sensational quality photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Geoff, that why we got quite excited about it although we are no bird watchers per say. The camera I use is a Sony Cybershot DSC-HS90.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that would explain it! I have the Sony DSC-RX100 as a recommendation from Bobscoot and it's been brilliant!

      Delete
  8. Ha! I love 'em! Comical birds indeed.

    I've never seen one face-to-(er)-beak, but puffins in pictures always look like stuffed animal plush toys to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I let one follow me home (uhm, a stuffed toy puffin, that is).

      Delete