Pages

February 12, 2017

10k hikes are the new normal!


Now that days are getting longer, we find ourselves spending more time outdoors. We have meanwhile explored most trails in the area, and it has become a bit of a challenge to discover new trails. But hubby (with the help of the komoot app) has proven very resourceful in planning new routes for us. This time we crisscrossed the so called 'rooster and hen loop', named after a famous motive created by a local pottery and ceramics manufacturer.

Jetzt, da die Tage wieder länger werden, kann man uns immer öfter draußen antreffen. Die meisten Pfade in unserer Gegend haben wir bereits (mehrfach) erwandert und so es wird schwieriger für uns, neue Wege zu entdecken. Aber der Gatte plant (mit Hilfe seiner Komoot App) doch immer wieder neue Routen für uns. Diesmal ging es kreuz und quer auf der 'Hahn und Henne Runde', benannt nach der örtlichen Keramikmanufaktur, entlang.


Some part of the trails were quite steep, and occasionally I left my walking buddy behind, and watched him from above while he conquered the hill huffing and puffing. He definitely needs more exercise  ;-)

Einige Abschnitte des Weges waren ziemlich steil, und gelegentlich hängte ich meinen Wandergesellen ab und schaute von oben zu, wie er sich schnaufend den Hügel hinauf kämpfte. Er hat die Bewegung dringend nötig  ;-)


Along the way we came across an over hundred years old barite mine. Alas, the gate was closed and further exploration not possible.

Unterwegs kamen wir an einem über hundert Jahre alten Stollen für den Abbau von Schwerspat vorbei. Leider war der Eingang vergittert, so dass keine weitere Erkundung möglich war.


Hiking has been key to my recovery, a welcome diversion from pain and other health related issues.  As a step by step meditation of sorts, the walk has meanwhile become an intrinsic part of my everyday life.

Das Wandern hat wesentlich zu meiner Besserung beigetragen und bleibt für mich eine willkommene Ablenkung von Schmerzen und anderen krankheitsbedingten Einschränkungen. Als eine Art schrittweise Meditation ist das Laufen inzwischen ein wesentlicher Teil meines Alltags geworden.

24 comments:

  1. That's impressive walking Sonja - hope that you don't give Roland too much of a hard time! Sounds like your very much on the road back to full health which is great news. Every good wish....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roland is always free to play couch potato during my walk but lately he seems to prefer tagging along. So I am guessing he also wants to get in shape again ;-)

      Delete
  2. Nice pics overall but I liked the last one best! Good to see both you and Roland are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dom. The last pic shows a different view over our valley. I have hiked most of the hills on the opposite.

      Delete
  3. Hiking is great; I'm doing it regularly now. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I have only recently discovered walking as a possible source to regain fitness and strength, Ally. And it works!

      Delete
  4. Ill soon start envying you thoise green leaves and sunny days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post more of it as they start showing up, Michael.

      Delete
  5. Compared with the snowy and icy photos in your recent posts, it does look like late winter / pre-spring has arrived in your neck of the woods, Sonja. And good job with the hiking therapy / meditation--nothing like a nice wander to contribute to the health of one's body and mind.

    Barite--I had to look that one up... I've always been drawn to old mines, and fortunately (unfortunately?) my neck of the woods is rife with them--plenty of those in the remote areas are still open.

    We have coal mines--I haven't gotten into any of those--but I've been deep into many old precious metals mines and uranium mines. Sure, it might be a dangerous thing to do, but curiosity is a tough thing to suppress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Show has melted from one day to the next but spring hasn't arrived yet. Most day are in the single digits (°C) and lack sunshines.
      I guess it doesn't come to your surprise that the exploration of caves and mines are quite risky, but as kids we have done it all the time. Nothing ever happened but some came close.

      Delete
  6. 10k walks! Pretty nice. I used to walk a lot when I wanted to get out of my office. I need to find another good reason...

    What a beautiful area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have a hard time motivating myself to get out, Richard. Now I am unhappy when I am not able to go for a hike.

      Delete
  7. Toll, was man beim Wandern so alles entdecken kann. So kommt zur Gesundheit noch das Ergebnis dazu - ein Lob auch an den Planer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gebe ich gern weiter, HerBert. Der Gatte macht das wirklich gut!

      Delete
  8. Ihr lebt da schon in einer begnadet schönen Gegend! Meine Güte!

    Hoffentlich wird sich die Sache mit den Schmerzen und den krankheitsbedingten Einschränkungen möglichst bald erledigt haben! Ich drücke da ganz feste die Daumen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es wird schon, Minya. Ich darf nur nichts übertreiben ;-) Du hast Recht, die Gegend ist wirklich schön hier, allerdings fehlt mir immer mal wieder... das Meer.

      Delete
  9. Good for you on getting out and walking. The rain finally stopped this weekend and we ended up doing yard work instead of hiking, but at least we were outside.

    Will you be ready (recovery-wise) to ride when the weather turns nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riding is not an option just yet, and I am content just being outside for now, Brandy. Yard work... hm? Our good neighbour (early retiree) does this job for us ;-)

      Delete
  10. Wandern, Fahrrad fahren, man muss es mal sagen, entschleunigt ungemein. Ich finde es klasse, was ihr da alles zu Fuß erfahrt, sozusagen ... und ihr habt bestimmt auch immer Picknick dabei :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irina, Picknick oder gutes Essen danach ist einer der Hauptmotivationen für diese Wanderungen... ;-)

      Delete
  11. Beautiful!! I want to be more like you and get out to enjoy nature. I love the teacup that Roland is sitting in. Too cute. :)

    I'm glad that the hiking is helping you and recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, I learned to appreciate it the hard way... but walking has now become a daily routine.

      Delete
  12. very impressive, although I relate myself more with the huffing and puffing of Roland :-). btw, we purchased helmets last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on Yvonne, you guys are always outside exploring ;-) Good on you buying those brain buckets!!!

      Delete