Klischee oder nicht... ich vermisse dieses Gefühl von Freiheit und Abenteuer auf zwei Rädern. Hinter der nächsten Kurve, hinter dem nächsten Hügel nichts weiter als eine Straße, die sich endlos bis zum Horizont erstreckt. Das war in Nordamerika. Seit meiner Rückkehr nach Europa ist nichts mehr wie es war.
| Oregon, US 2012 |
Back in April I picked up my my 2008 Harley Sportster 883 from the shop where it got its annual checkup. It wasn't he first time I found myself pondering about putting it on the market. It was a bit of a weird thought given that motorcycle season had just begun, and with a bike at hand as mechanically as sound as ever. But during this year's riding season - and weather-wise it turned out to be an awesome year for motorcycling - I found myself getting less and less invested in this hobby.
However, it was only recently that realisation finally crept in. Coop's pie chart presenting his mileage ridden on several of his two-wheelers had put it right in front of my nose. Meanwhile I had only added a meagre three hundred miles to the odometer: I am a bike owner but no longer a rider.
Where do I go from here? I don't really want to sell the bike given its riding history on two continents but having it sit idle in the garage doesn't help it either. I'd love to find it a new owner with an appreciation for this model, its modifications and its history. Instead of simply getting rid of the bike I'd like to find it a new home, where it is loved and handled with care and respect. Is this silly of me?
| Germany 2018 |
Im April habe ich meine 2008 Harley Sportster 883 bei meiner Werkstatt abgeholt, in dem sie jährlich technisch überprüft wird. Es war nicht das erste Mal, dass ich mich dabei ertappte, es zum Verkauf anzubieten. Es war ein seltsamer Gedanke angesichts der Tatsache, dass die Motorradsaison gerade erst begonnen hatte und das Motorrad wie geschmiert lief. Dennoch ließ mein Enthusiasmus während der diesjährigen Mopped-Saison - und was das Wetter angeht, stellte sich heraus, dass es ein fantastisches Jahr für das Motorradfahren war - immer weiter nach.
Als ich drüben auf dem Blog von Coop ein Kreisdiagramm mit der Laufleistung seiner vielen Zweiräder entdeckte, wurde es mir endgültig bewusst, denn währenddessen hatte ich dem Tacho der Harley gerade mal magere fünfhundert Kilometer hinzugefügt: Ich bin zwar Besitzerin eines Motorrades, aber längst keine Motorradfahrerin mehr.
Wie soll es jetzt weiter gehen? Ich möchte die Harley aufgrund seiner Fahrgeschichte auf zwei Kontinenten nicht wirklich verkaufen, aber es ist auch nicht gut für das Mopped, wenn es in der Garage ungenutzt herumsteht. Am liebsten würde ich einen neuen Besitzer ausfindig machen, der dieses Modell, seine Modifikationen und seine Geschichte zu schätzen weiß. Anstatt die Sportster einfach loszuwerden, möchte ich dem Bike ein neues Zuhause geben, in dem es geliebt und mit Sorgfalt und Respekt behandelt wird. Ist das wirklich so ein dummer Gedanke?
No silly at all Sonja. You've moved continents which has triggered different interests that fit in with the new lifestyle. You're both active and interested in life so no need for regret. I'm probably only a few years away from stopping riding and can look back with fondness, but looking forward to doing other things. I suspect you'll be the same.
ReplyDeleteEvery good wish for the festive season to you and Roland!
Same wishes to you and your family, Geoff. My thoughts with regards to giving up the Sportster are full of regret about a passion lost. My commute on the Vespa is alright but I can't no longer find pleasure in riding the Harley.
DeleteI can understand what you are saying. The motorcycle started out as a hobby and once I started to use it for trips and especially since the Ural, it is a means to travel. I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time riding my bicycle around and it also transitioned from recreation to a means of travel. Traveling seems to be the common denominator over the years. For many people, riding itself is the goal. Nothing wrong with selling the Harley, especially if you can find a buyer who is passionate about riding and will appreciate your mods.
ReplyDeleteI agree Richard, it seems to be about transitioning into a different means of travel, and it will probably continue to change. But I am sure that the traveling part is far from over.
DeleteLiebe Frau Sonja, I'm finding it hard to reconcile "my commute on the Vespa" with "no longer a rider." Our buddy Steve from the Sticks may disagree with you! :) Also, most of Coop's bikes are less than 400cc. And finally, almost all my riding is commuting, surely this can't be the end! :)
ReplyDeleteHello Mr Ewert, my commute can hardly be called just that. It's a 2 mile ride into the next village. But I am going to continue calling it riding now, thank you for reminding me.
DeleteBestimmt gibt es den idealen Interessenten - oder Interessentin - für deine Harley. Und dem/der machst du mit dem Verkauf dann eine Riesenfreude. Jetzt musst du sie nur noch finden... Viel Glück!
ReplyDeleteDas hoffe ich doch, liebe Anita. Es muss eben der/die Richtige sein, wie seinerzeit beim Verkauf meines orangefarbenen Vespa-Rollers. Ich habe es ja nicht eilig.
Deleteich verstehe Deinen Zwiespalt. Du hast Dich in eine andere Richtung entwickelt (aka mehr wandern und der Camper), aber an dem Motorrad haengen eben auch viele Erinnerungen. Und somit faellt es schwer, eine Entscheidung zu treffen, obwohl man eigentlich im Kopf schon laengst an dem rationalen Punkt angekommen ist. Ich drueck Dich.
ReplyDeleteYvonne, Du hast es auf den Punkt gebracht. Da steckt schon einiges an Emotion drin. Danke für Deine lieben Worte.
DeleteNope, not silly at all. Motorcycles and such are meant to be ridden, they rot sitting in a garage. If you're sure you're not going to pick up riding again, then perhaps sell it to someone with the time and inclination?
ReplyDeleteThat's the plan, Dom. The bike doesn't deserve rotting away. I hope to find the right buyer for it.
DeleteSonja, sometimes we attach so many good memories to things that they become one and hard to separate. By all means find a good home for the Harley and rest assured that the memories of your experiences on that bike will not be diminished by its absence.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, and best Christmas wishes to you and Roland.
I am afraid I still have to cut the bond with the bike. Too many great memories. Merry Christmas to you, Elisabeth and your family, David.
DeleteI have the opportunity to buy any motorcycle in a few months as I am starting out again. I shan't bore you with the thought process but I want another Burgman 200. IT is perfect as sold, no farkles necessary, it goes like the clappers and shocks bystanders with its abilities. Oh and I enjoy riding it. I cackle as I go. But I am not going to ask anyone's permission nor offer explanations. You do the same. Dump the Harley and go for a walk. You'll feel great.
ReplyDeleteIt feels as if you just granted me permission to sell it, Michael ;-)
DeleteAnd I wish you all the best for your future Burgman adventures. Just make sure to stay out of cars' range and on the bike, will you?
Das eigene (und wohlmöglich auch das erste)Motorrad ist schon was besonderes. Mein erstes Bike (siehe Profilbild) hab ich auch noch, obwohl es rational gesehen ein Desaster ist. Fast 100k km, fast 30 Jahre alt, keine modernen Sicherheitsgadgets - ABER: Mein erstes und mein eigenes Motorrad. Da sich der Verkauf für mich sowieso nicht lohnt, bzw. ich es nur einem Kollegen im Forum anbieten könnte mitsamt der ganzen Ersatzteile, behalte ich es einfach und fahre es ab und an. Es entschleunigt und es ist fast was meditatives.
ReplyDeleteEine Harley ist natürlich etwas anderes. Das ist fast schon Geschichte. Aber: Wenn Du wirklich nicht mehr zum fahren kommst, und das Bike wird definitiv nicht besser vom rumstehen, dann solltest Du es wirklich verkaufen. Wenn Du etwas suchst, wirst Du auch einen passenden Käufer finden, der das Bike zu schätzen weiß. Bitte nicht einfach dem Händler hinstellen und es vergessen. So ein Bike braucht auch beim Verkauf Liebe...
Ich drück Dir die Daumen....und Deiner Sporty...
Dankeschön, Marcus. Ich sehe, Du verstehst, was ich meine. Wäre ich noch in Kanada, gäbe es den Gedanken an den Verkauf nicht. Die Harley war da zuhause, auf den kleinen Straßen des Schwarzwaldes ist sie allerdings zu groß, zu stark, zu schwer. Daher bin ich auch viel lieber auf der Vespa unterwegs. Ich hoffe schon, dass ich jemanden finde, der zu schätzen weiß, was ich an dem Mopped so mag.
Delete