Pages

February 19, 2010

It's about choices

A new job! Call me stupid, but I have by choice accepted a smaller compensation to work for a company, that only recently made their entry into the North American market. I am hoping for much better time management, but more importantly it will be the realization of a lifelong dream, because

a) The North American Headquarter is located in Vancouver (Hello Bobskoot, here I come.);

b) It is the sustainable (renewable) energy sector;

c) Some weeks of training will require traveling to Middle Earth (a.k.a. New Zealand, for those not familiar with the Lord of the Rings movies)

Well, they actually had me at 'New Zealand'... I simply could not resist such a lifetime opportunity to ride another continent. Yes, I have already checked out the possibilities. Depending on the travel budget I plan on renting a scooter, and maybe I even get a chance to rent a Triumph or BMW. I will send a postcard, promise.

11 comments:

  1. SonjaM:

    This is very good news indeed. I can't wait to give you a BIG HUG. We didn't get any snow this year. Most years you can ride 48-50 weeks a year, except for a few days of frost.

    Now only to find a place to live that won't bankrupt you. I can always give my opinions of where you are thinking of. I have your email address already

    I can't wait, I'm dancing for joy for you. congrats on your new job

    (bobskoot@telus.net)

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja,

    outstanding news! Looking forward to your ride reports from Middle Earth and from the Key West of Canada!

    I believe you can readily rent Beemers there in Kiwi land. Good friends of mine emigrated there less than a year ago and they're loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SonjaM:

    I just had a brainstorm. Shall I go into the BMW dealer and order a F800gs, have you pay for it, then ride it around to get it used to our roads ? and break it in. Then it will be ready when you arrive. After all, what are friends for ?

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bobskoot: You wish, my friend. But for starters kindly recommend a decent dealership, also for scooters.
    @Charlie6: Hey, maybe you could ask your friends if they can recommend a good place for renting a bike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonja

    my kiwi friends don't ride, however, there was a ride report by a couple who celebrated their anniversary by riding NZ published in the BMWMOA monthly magazine back in May of 2009:

    They rented a R1150RT from an outfit called "Go Tour New Zealand" in Nelson.

    Some notes from them: speed limits strictly enforced. max speed is 60mph. The police, if they radar you going above 68mph, are required to ticket you since their radar logs are scrutinized by their boss.

    Gas was $4/gallon

    The couple was fined $80nz which at the then exchange rate was $40us and you get 28 days to pay at any branch of WestPac Banks. The officer mentioned to them the fine for going at 115mph is 120NZ, cheap when compared to stateside fines.

    If you wish, I can try and scan their article to pdf and send to you.

    dom

    ps: they apparently had a blast! 1700 miles over eight days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new job! It sounds exciting - new location, new continent to visit, new challenges, and above all - a NEW BIKE.

    Good luck with your move.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Charlie6: I would very much appreciate if you have the opportunity to scan it. Kindly send it to sonja dot mager at shaw dot ca.
    @Gary: Thank you, I will need some luck to get it all organized.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SonjaM:

    the two BMW dealers here are:

    John Valk BMW
    http://www.johnvalkbmw.ca/

    Pacific Yamaha BMW
    http://pacificyamahabmw.com/

    Here's a local listing of "most" dealers
    http://www.gvrd.com/motorcycles/

    Just an hour ago someone called me and offered a bike for sale. Not what you want but cheap.

    Suzuki Savage LS650 (I think). Has been parked for 5 years, and only has 2,000. kms on it. Owner leaving country. Wants $1,800. but of course open to offers. Cruiser style, perfect for challenged legs. I was going to say SHORT, but I haven't physically met you yet

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your new job and the opportunity to travel to (and in) New Zealand. You'll love it!

    And for some nice descriptions of riding in NZ, drop over and pay Geoff James' blog a visit at geoffjames.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Make sure you stay in touch with your NZ plans and if you think I can be of any help, let me know. In the meantime, this is the motorcycle bible for riding in NZ:http://www.amazon.com/Zealand-Motorcycle-Atlas-Peter-Mitchell/dp/1877302325/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267996207&sr=8-1.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Geoff: thanks for the link, I will make sure to get it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete