Pages

March 06, 2010

Meeting the pink croc man

There is this guy, the world calls him Bob(skoot), he is a rider, writes a blog, knows a lot about photography and lives in Vancouver. He is known to wear pink crocs on occasion, and to socialize with complete strangers. We met on the internet, we connected and finally met in person.
Yesterday he picked me up for dinner after work, and took me down the scenic road towards Richmond, or so he said. Funny though, that this detour would include a complete unintentional visit to the local Beemer dealer. Here's Bob checking out my new bike (I wish...).
Since we had a little time left before we got to meet Mrs Skoot, Bob introduced me to his riding buddy John, who is a true adventure rider, and rides whenever and wherever, his newest project being exploring the back roads to Bella Coola.
It happened to be Mrs. Skoot's birthday (thanks for not telling me, Bob...), and her choice was the Tanpopo, a great Japanese all-you-can-eat Sushi restaurant on Denman in Downtown Vancouver. First I was a little shy to try raw fish, but the tuna and salmon was excellent indeed. We had a wonderful time, and my head is full from all the recommendations and information I got, like my belly is full of Sushi. Thanks, Bob and Yvonne for making me feel welcome to Vancouver. I hope we can do this again some time.
Happy Birthday, Mrs Skoot!

Oh, and here's Bob's posting.

9 comments:

  1. Sounds just like Mr. & Mrs. Skoot, very nice folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was Bob wearing his pink crocs or is that his on screen persona only!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Troubadour: I second that!
    @Nikos: He showed me the crocs, and they look well worn. But he obviously doesn't seem to wear them to work ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SonjaM:

    It was great to finally meet you in person and collect my double hugs. I think Nikos is just jealous, they don't sell pink in the UK

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonja, glad you got to experience the Bob and Yvonne show first hand. Super couple! Being Vancouver natives, they have a wealth of knowledge to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Sonja:

    Note the look of unbridled delight on the face of Bobskoot while he is sitting on that Beemer. In his heart, he knows. And he knows that I know. The only thing that keeps him from buying a Beemer is the knowledge that he will have to each those pink crocs for breakfast.

    You had quite an extravagant welcome to Vancouver: first the BMW dealer and then sushi. Try the eel, octopus, and fresh giant clam. Avoid the mackeral, unless you have a cat at home. Give sea urchin and cuttlefish the pass as well. Tamago (omlet and seaweed) is a great sushi meal closer.

    I expect to meet Mr. and Mrs Skoot next October in Key West.

    Good luck in your new job and your new home.

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bob: I think, everybody should get a crazy color of crocs. I am thinking orange for myself.
    @Chuck: Yes, it's wonderful to have already friends in town.
    @Jack: You know, I had the same thought when Bob sat on the beemer... and he looks good on it, doesn't he? I am still reluctant to try out all the things you suggested but they actually might keep my weight in check ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meeting the Skoots is an honor I am still looking forward to. However, I wish for it to be here. It seems everyone who ventures to Vancouver is made to eat raw fish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice post Sonja! It puts a smile on the face! I agree Bob looks great on a beemer and I do think he wants one. ;)

    ReplyDelete